Hydaelyn Role-Players
Changes - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Forum Announcements (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Changes (/showthread.php?tid=11679)

Pages: 1 2

Changes - FreelanceWizard - 05-18-2015

Hi everyone,

There's no really good time to do this, so now seems as good of one as any. I'm going to be stepping down as admin of the RPC. It's been a fun run, but I have personal reasons to do so. What it comes down to is that I simply can't devote the time and effort to both the technical side and the administrative side of a site of this size any more.

This is going to be a bit of a different transition than the last one, though. The RPC server infrastructure has grown to the point where it's not really reasonable to assume that one person will have the skills to manage an array of Linux servers doing a bunch of different things, handle the financial side (including personally ponying up for any shortfalls), and do the day to day administration and moderation. So, I'll be fading back to something I did back in the 1.0 days -- a technical support role. I'll still be around, maintaining the servers, adding new features, upgrading software, and so on, but I won't be participating in moderation or administration, and I won't have a pretty name color or stars. I'll also be paying the bills for the time being, since that's easier and cheaper than someone else collecting pledges, then throwing me some money to pay Amazon. Smile Think of it like an outsourced web hosting arrangement where I'm the web hosting company.

So, for what it's worth, I'll still be around the site -- I'm not leaving permanently. Tongue I'm just stepping out of the day to day to focus more on improving the site's technology.

FAQ

1. Why are you doing this? It's for personal reasons that I would prefer not to discuss.
  2. What impact does this have on the Patreon support? None; I'll continue to run the Patreon page as long as the RPC staff wants me to, since it dramatically simplifies paying Amazon's monthly bill with the AWS account still in the name of my consulting company. So, nothing changes there, though with more time available to do the technical work, I should be able to move faster on things like chat servers.
  3. Who will the new admin be? That hasn't been decided yet. I'll be naming an interim admin soon and a final decision will come shortly after that.
  4. What will the new admin be in charge of? Ultimately, it'll be their site; they'll just be outsourcing the technical side to me for as long as they'd like. I do this sort of consulting all the time IRL, and RPC is getting a great deal insofar as it's not having to pay me. Smile
  5. What specifically will you be in charge of? I'll continue to do WikiWork, such as template design; server maintenance (patching, IP bans at the request of the admin, log scanning at the request of the admin, and so on); and new feature development, including installing plugins and adjusting the site's templates and code. Once the Patreon tasks are complete, the admin and mods will just tell me what they want done, and I'll do it. From a technical standpoint, I'll maintain control of the AWS private cloud and retain rights to the Admin CP, but won't have access to the Mod CP or any moderator powers.
  6. Are any of the rules changing? I wouldn't know. That's a question for the new interim admin. Smile

RE: Changes - Kage - 05-18-2015

Freelance, thank you for being with us through the thick and the thin. It's been a great deal of pleasure having you moderate even if I had or still had different opinions of your rules.

We'll see what changes will bring.

RE: Changes - Bryn - 05-18-2015

Thanks for the heads-up. How will the new Admin be chosen, out of curiosity?

RE: Changes - FreelanceWizard - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 04:55 PM)Bryn Wrote: Thanks for the heads-up. How will the new Admin be chosen, out of curiosity?

The mods and I are discussing it, but most likely, the interim admin will be one of the current mods, and then the interim admin will decide whether to keep the position, hand it over to someone else, or do something else entirely. I've the utmost confidence in the mod team, seeing as most of them have been here since the beginning, so we'll be in good hands. Smile

RE: Changes - Goodfellow - 05-18-2015

Thank you, FW, for your time at the top.  I for one have appreciated the transparency, forthrightness, and careful consideration of your tenure.  And thank you, as well, for bowing out gracefully instead of driving yourself crazy trying to spin too many plates.  See you later with all the rest of the plebs!

RE: Changes - Ignacius - 05-18-2015

I'll run it! Big Grin

RE: Changes - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 05:05 PM)Goodfellow Wrote: Thank you, FW, for your time at the top.  I for one have appreciated the transparency, forthrightness, and careful consideration of your tenure.  And thank you, as well, for bowing out gracefully instead of driving yourself crazy trying to spin too many plates.  See you later with all the rest of the plebs!

I can't possibly word my feelings better than this, so I'm borrowing it.

Thank you for the continued time and investment Freelance.

RE: Changes - Mercer - 05-18-2015

I don't think RP would exist as healthy as it does without your work Freelance. Thanks for everything!

RE: Changes - Bryn - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 04:58 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 04:55 PM)Bryn Wrote: Thanks for the heads-up. How will the new Admin be chosen, out of curiosity?

The mods and I are discussing it, but most likely, the interim admin will be one of the current mods, and then the interim admin will decide whether to keep the position, hand it over to someone else, or do something else entirely. I've the utmost confidence in the mod team, seeing as most of them have been here since the beginning, so we'll be in good hands. Smile

Cool, thanks for that. I look forward to seeing where we go from here, then.

From your previous posts I've got the impression that you've sacrificed a fair bit in your time as Admin so that our community can continue to enjoy the RPC and it's benefits and uses. Thanks for all your hard work, Freelance.

RE: Changes - TheLastCandle - 05-18-2015

Thank you for an awesome run as Admin. You wore that hat well. Smile

RE: Changes - Erik Mynhier - 05-18-2015

Good for you man. I know the feeling to drop the heavy crown in older sites. Now you can relax.

RE: Changes - g0ne - 05-18-2015

Freelance sensei... Cry

*slaps self to compose self*

Thank you so much for absolutely everything, Freelance. You've been the best possible admin ever, and we're all so grateful to you for so many things.

But most of all, we wish you best in all of your endeavors and you're still Freelance sensei to me, always. Smile

RE: Changes - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 05:10 PM)Bryn Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 04:58 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

Cool, thanks for that. I look forward to seeing where we go from here, then.

From your previous posts I've got the impression that you've sacrificed a fair bit in your time as Admin so that our community can continue to enjoy the RPC and it's benefits and uses. Thanks for all your hard work, Freelance.

Agreed. While I've had my issues with certain decisions at times, I've always respected you.

I know you have to leave the admit hat, but the forums will be lesser for it.

Thanks for all you've done.

RE: Changes - Kellach Woods - 05-18-2015

Yah you'd been mentioning that it was a pain.

Thanks for the time you put in, here's hoping the inmates behave with the next one.

RE: Changes - Seye Qhesu - 05-18-2015

Thanks for all the fish! *throws salmon rolls because Sushi > All*

It is nice to see an Admin take their time out to work on a site and keep it running for so long! Hopefully your replacement isn't afraid we'll chew him/her up and spit them out! (we won't, we're nice no matter what anyone says!)

I hope to at least see you pop in and post your two gil on stuff. Hate to see you completely disappear and hide away from the community that you helped build.