Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plot Devices - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Plot Devices (/showthread.php?tid=11697)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Plot Devices - ExAtomos - 06-15-2016

(ok cool. xD )

The Anthropology of the Remaining Plainsfolk Tribes, Their History, and Potential Integration into Modern Eorzean Society
Type: Academic book

The Guildmaster interrupted. "Yes, one of the most organized minds here and with such a barbaric upbringing. Quite the change, isn't it?"

Ralin bristled. "The Plainsfolk Tribes are not barbaric, sir..."

Anderagon turned the book around, displaying a drawn image of tribal warriors swarming and taking down a giant crab. Ralin sighed. The artist had captured the fighters' extensive tattoos and the smeared blood on their bodies with gruesome detail. "Remarkable." He closed the book with a snap and sat down. "You have the tattoos from your youth, yes?"

Public Knowledge: Little to none outside of stuffy academic types interested in niche histories and anthropology. There may be ten copies out there.

Description: It's not an overly large volume. Perhaps written 40-50 years ago. It contains the usual archaic (read Victorian) idea of transforming an "uncivilized" culture into one more in line with modern, urban society.

Where to find it: A few libraries, government offices, and private collections.

(Why yes, I do work in academia... why do you ask? >.>;;; )

Drinks
Type: Booze and non-booze (but mostly booze)

Top Shelf
Ilsabardian Brandy (limited supply)
Reaver's Rum
Baron's Choice Whiskey
Dragon's Blood Mead

Wines
Black Vine brand
Seiza no Kai Sake
Rolanberry Dessert Wine

Ales On Tap
South Shroud's Best Dark Ale
Four Houses Ishgardian Pale Ale
VK Special Brew (seasonal)
Slick Eft
Bogy Root Special
Poacher's Notch

Mixed Drinks
Ifrit's Hellfire
Landslide
My Fair Lala (contains cactus juice)
Pink Subligar
The Fury
The Squishable Leech
Wailer's Delight
Wight Skull
Ramuh's Beard

Non-alcoholic
Foundation Chilled Tea

Public Knowledge: If you drink...

Description: Just a list of brand names and mixed drinks

Where to find it: Any bar other than dives

(How about businesses?)

Titirenu Beberenu, Fine cloth goods and bespoke tailoring.

Type: Merchant

"My dear, are you even listening? The client wants only the best vanya silk used for her dress... decorated with pearls and crystals. You are able to craft this in time, yes? If not, I'm sure there are other dressmakers who are looking for work..."

Public Knowledge: If you are wealthy or in the garment making industry, you may have heard of this prick guy.

Description: Tanned with dark hair, this Dunesfolk is accustomed to dealing only with the richest clientele. He speaks condescendingly or ingratiatingly, depending on status. He tends to pull out a scented handkerchief from his inside his glove and wave it in front of his face if he is displeased.

Where to find it: Horizon

Wait... Horizon?? Yes. There is a very good chance that this merchant pads his fat wallet more with his sketchy shipping business than his merchant front.

RE: Plot Devices - ExAtomos - 06-17-2016

Funerary Rites for the Virtuous Fallen (in game)
Type: Book?

Cocobezi: "Oh, Prelate Yayake... She can recite the three hundred and seven verses of the Funerary Rites for the Virtuous Fallen, but the simple task of keeping our names straight seems ever beyond her grasp."

Public Knowledge: Thaumaturges, probably any priest or officer over funerals

Description: Unknown if this is a book or some sort of memorized poem. Since the THM guild has an extensive library, I feel it's safe to assume it's been written down.

Where to find it: Mentioned in THM guild intro.

RE: Plot Devices - Morningstar1337 - 07-03-2016

Eh why not? (The following item is fanon/headcanon and doesn't not actuality exist in-game)

Mistbeard: The Legend Never Dies.
Type: Book

"Sergeant Rhiki of the Maelstorm has been overseeing the new recruits. She noticed all of them reading about the Legendary Pirate Mistbeard and chastised them for being distracted...before taking a copy herself."

(I apologize for the short form, this is just something I whipped up in short notice. If I have the rank wrong, please correct me)
Public Knowledge: Everyone in La Noscea and the various docks and ports

Description: Its a dramatization of the adventure of the Pirate Mistbeard. Think a mix of Pulp Novels and Non-fiction, there are seven volumes, with the final one being written at the beginning of Merlwyb's reestablishment of the Maelstrom. This is about the persona, not the people beneath the mask.