Hydaelyn Role-Players
Summoning - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Summoning (/showthread.php?tid=11761)

Summoning - DeathGodSkeith - 05-25-2015

So if i wanted my character who can summon a primal Egi in character to be able to summon a fairy as well, can that be made feasable. I have a way to make it sound not ridiculous. Just wanted a lore expert to make sure im not proposing something a lil off the deep end. 
>.>

RE: Summoning - Seye Qhesu - 05-25-2015

I'm sure a few lore peeps are sitting here trying to think of how you could or couldn't. Are you able to explain the idea you have to make it work?

RE: Summoning - DeathGodSkeith - 05-25-2015

Finding nymian texts and such having someone she's familiar with translate them and then perform the summoning. Im not really too sure how the sch thing works. *shrugs*

so bad with the lore.

RE: Summoning - Sounsyy - 05-25-2015

Though there's no current, in game, examples of any Magi becoming adept at multiple (ancient) forms of magic, but it is feasible for someone to become a SCH and a SMN, as scholarly succor is related to its more ancient father, Summoning. There's a similar thread on the topic of multi-magic using that I'll quote myself from. The most basic of breakdowns on those particular three schools of magic.

(01-01-2015, 02:09 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Summoning was a magic practiced and perfected by the ancient Allagans 5000 years ago. It was likely the forefather of modern day Arcanima. Summoners would draw upon the absorbed spirit of defeated Primals of eld and conjure an essence or Egi of that Primal which had been bent to the caster's will.

Scholar, unlike its Summoning and Arcanima relatives is actually less a summoning art. Scholars created strong bonds with an Elemental-like creature called a Fairy or Fae. Also unlike Summoners and Arcanists, the Scholars of Nym focused on restorative magics and drew upon their own skills and the magicks of their Fae to cure their allies. However, after the plague befell Nym, the Scholars lost their ability to communicate with their Fae and evoke their magicks and Scholar was lost for the next 1600 years.

Arcanima is likely descendant from bits of Summoning and Scholarly magic. Like their predecessors, Arcanists draw and channel their magic through geometric shapes and patterns aided by specialized inks which amplify their energies. Using their own aether, Arcanists can call forth a Familiar called Carbuncle to aid them, likely left over from Summoning days.

The tricky bit with summoning - besides finding someone who can teach a 5,000 year-dead magical art, is that one has to have been in relative proximity to a primal. This doesn't necessarily mean that your character had to defeat said primal personally, just in the area when it died. When a person, being, or primal dies its aether is violently ripped from its corporeal form and returns to the Lifestream. The Summoners of Allag, who were experts in dispatching the Elder Primals, would become washed in the dead primal's aether and from it, would be able to evoke an essence or "Egi" of that primal. Kinda like if you hit someone with a hammer and they splashed blood on you... and then you being able to recreate that person you hit with the hammer from that blood spatter... Is kinda the odd way of thinking about it.

Fae work a little differently. Fae, Sprites, and Carbuncles are all "Lesser Elementals" beings made of Hydaelyn's Light during Creation. Like the Elementals of the Twelveswood, these lesser elementals can be drawn from their surroundings - which is what Scholars did in the time of Nym. By forming very strong bonds with the Fae, the Scholars of Nym 1,600 years ago were able to borrow their succor.

So, completely feasible for both eventualities to happen to an individual. Just - that your character will require a background wherein they discover a Fae and have been in the proximity of a primal death. (Not necessarily needing to defeat one, just been nearby.) A good lore-based explanation for the latter could easily be you were in the area when the Company of Heroes defeated Titan 15 years ago in La Noscea, or perhaps your character was one of the miners in the T-3 Mythril Pit that was incinerated during Ifrit's first summoning in 1564, 13 years ago. If you're looking for more recent history, Leviathan was summoned 5 years ago just after the Calamity by the Sahagin and its tainted waters destroyed the Maelstrom's 4th Squadron and submerged a good bit of western La Noscea, including the village of Halfstone.

Or you can have your character actually face and defeat a primal in the current day. I'd talk to Dogberry about this route, as he has a crew who faces Primals as part of an arc. Could be interesting! But fair warning, there are many people who will frown on the idea of facing a primal in direct combat if your character does not possess the Echo - as the risk of becoming Tempered by the primal is high without it. Many of the Company of Heroes perished trying to defeat the primals without the Echo, and eventually won by throwing sheer weight of numbers at the deities.

Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have more questions!

EDIT: Fairy Lore Update
This excerpt from the Las Vegas Lore Panel was brought up to me in a PM, which clarifies the Nymian Scholar's Fae a bit. I had read this but had forgotten all about it. Fernehalwes confirms that while the Fae are in the same taxonomy as Elementals and are made of Light and its elements, they were created by the Scholars.

Quote:A: To follow up on a question from the stream earlier- the taxonomy that fairies fall into. Is there an origin to how they become fairies of Scholars. Were they fairies and then bound to scholars? or did the scholars create them?

MCKF: Yes, the second one. Fairies again, while they fall under the taxonomy of elementals, they are actually beings that were created. They did not exist before. The Scholar would take the energies and elements from around them and would basically create these beings that were made of the elements.

Sorry for the confusion!

RE: Summoning - DeathGodSkeith - 05-25-2015

it helped greatly actually. Thank you sounsyy