Hydaelyn Role-Players
YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons (/showthread.php?tid=11792)

Pages: 1 2

YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Steel Wolf - 05-27-2015

I love lists. Don't you? They cause discussion, arguments, eyerolls and headnods of agreement. So, I'd like to know what the RPC's top ten list of XIV dungeons are, and why.

Here's mine...

10. Cutter's Cry
Dull. Dull dull dull dull sandy dull dullness. I didn't really find this dungeon all that exciting, and I'm not sure why I thought it would be more. I mean, you're about to fight antlions and stuff. Those things usually should be a bit more terrifying. This was just...an exercise in taupe.

9. Haukke Manor
I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was for this dungeon when I first ran it. I even got a tiny bit jump-scared by the Ahriman during the opening cutscene. But when I actually ran it, I found it...well, a bit disappointing. I love the thematics but I was hoping for a little more spookiness, and overall this didn't quite live up to my personal billing.

8. Copperbell Mines
This was a pretty neat little romp. I kinda dug on the story (pun not quite intended) and the giants crashing out of the walls kept me on my toes as a tanker in a good way. Shame the final boss mechanics ended up being less important than they were when I first ran the thing...but still a solid dungeon.

7. The Wanderer's Palace
This would probably have rated higher on my list if it weren't for the fact that I had farmed this mother mercilessly when I got to 50 and it was one of perhaps two or three choices for Tomes at the time. Everything about the dungeon is otherwise neat--cool setting, good fights, and a final boss that required a fair bit of coordination at the time...but repetition is the mother of learning...and tedium.

6. The Sunken Temple of Qarn HM
Another one that had cool thematics let down by a bit of a lackluster final boss, though I will say that the whole mummies thing was hilarious. Honestly, this dungeon ranks higher for me because it was the start of the time when I lost my personal fear of DF'ing solo after my return from hiatus.

5. Dzemael Darkhold
Now THIS was a cool little dungeon. Lots of neat mechanics, the second boss was just manic fun, and the final boss was a great mixture of coordination and mechanics that kept you awake....nevermind that Batraal looked just menacing when I first saw him. Probably one of the first clears that I felt pretty heroic about.

4. Brayflox's Longstop
This one makes it high on my list for being the turning point as a tanker....the dungeon where I had to suddenly wake up and do things that didn't just involve herding the monsters and keeping them huddled in one spot. The final boss was a pain in the ass at the time (the lag when I ran it did NOT help), but when my group and I managed to clear it, I knew that I had to step it up from here on out.

3. Stone Vigil
Another one that rides high due to its difficulty. This one actually made me angry because I felt like I was undergeared and I just was awful at pulling hate together...and then the final boss was just worse because, again, lag...but it still is memorable because of that difficulty. That kick in the ass and the feeling of beating that kick down just made me a better player overall, I feel. Not BEST TANKER EVER but it sure upped my game.

2. Wanderer's Palace Hard
Holy crap this dungeon....this dungeon is just...so good. The music is awesome. The fights are good. The scene and setting are spectacular, and the final reward of that cutscene? It was probably the single tightest dungeoning package I have experienced in this game. I found myself crossing my fingers for it whenever I queued up for the Expert Roulette. I love it that much.

1. The Crystal Tower
...but not as much as this. Yes, technically it's three raids and not a dungeon in the classic sense, but it's my list so nya nya. And whatever great music was there in WP HM, it doesn't even compare to the retooled classic tunes that run through all of the Crystal Tower. And not only the music, but the fights just...it brought me up to a whole new realm of experience. I was terrified, thrilled, stunned, delighted, angered and just overwhelmed. But more than all that, this was my first-ever time raiding in any MMO ever.

Sure, I'm not a Turn-clearing Dreadwyrm-wearing mega-awesome-leet XIV badass...but I still feel 20 feet tall for what I've achieved. And I can't wait for more.

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Flickering Ember - 05-27-2015

Is this top ten favorite or top ten worst? I assumed favorites but a lot of your entries make it sound like you dislike them. o_o;

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Bryn - 05-27-2015

I. Bryn's Bedroom
II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

More painful than Aurum Vale with a PUG, but those pants just might drop.

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Telluride - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 12:55 PM)Bryn Wrote: I. Bryn's Bedroom
II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

High Ilvl requirements, no use for AOE, drop rates unreliable, first boss drops aggro frequently, begins with a Tank-check, has a DPS-check in the middle and involves a heal check in the final encounter.

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Bryn - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 01:00 PM)Telluride Wrote:
II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

High Ilvl requirements, no use for AOE, drop rates unreliable, first boss drops aggro frequently, begins with a Tank-check, has a DPS-check in the middle and involves a heal check in the final encounter.

What can I say? This dungeon takes skill.

Therefore, no bards.

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Melodia - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 01:03 PM)Bryn Wrote:
II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

Therefore, no bards.
OH SNAP! Shots fired!!

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Steel Wolf - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 12:48 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Is this top ten favorite or top ten worst? I assumed favorites but a lot of your entries make it sound like you dislike them. o_o;

....both?

Yea, some of them I didn't like, but these were my favorites. Just the first few were less-favorite than others. Assume those not listed were my worst. XD

Title adjusted to reflect accuracy. Thanks. XD

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Telluride - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 01:04 PM)Melodia Wrote:
II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

Therefore, no bards.
OH SNAP! Shots fired!!

That's quite alright - there really isn't much payoff to be had, since Bryn's Bedroom is more accurately called a Trial rather than a Dungeon. Shiva makes for a much hotter experience Laugh

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Dogberry - 05-27-2015

II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

My favorite part of that dungeon is the Tank and Spank encounter.

RE: YOUR Top Ten XIV Dungeons - Moonlit - 05-27-2015

10. B****f*** Longashell
No. No. No. No. No. IF I SEE ONE MORE PIECE OF TANK GEAR I FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

9. Copperhell Mines 
Why is this so long? Why are people so bad at the bomb boss? Why? Why?

8. Stone Vigil
You're going to notice a theme here and it's: fml long dungeons with terrible pug luck. Though not as bad as the previous it's certainly up there.

7. Aurum Vale
Enough said.

6. The Sunken Temple of Indiana Jones
Usually I like these places more. WoW did an amazing job (I know, everyone's favorite MMO). However, I was sort of let down with Qarn. The last boss makes up for the disappointment but the pugs do not. 

5. Tam-Tara Deepcroft 
Is okay. It's not Copperhell so I refuse to complain.

4. World of Darkness
SteelhadCTI'mjustdoingWoDnyah! Might not be expected on people's 'fun' list. However, I really enjoy the theme (you're going to see it running). PUGs can make it not fun, and I do not suggest running it for fifteen hours straight (like I did), but I don't know, I loves it (now if I could play it solo. . .).

3. Dzzzeemaul Darkhold (spelling)?
Quick, easy, fun, efficient, AND VOID SHENANIGANS. Yes please. <3

2. Sastasha (Regular)
Fun Moonlit fact: I'm a professional mermaid. This place appealed to my core. Also? Heck yeah pirates. All of my approve.

1. Sastasha (Hard)
IT'S LIKE THE FIRST ONE BUT OMG NEW AND IMPROVED AND AMAZING AND AHHH YES I COULD LIVE THERE.

-coughs- yup. I don't have ten favorites so I listed ones I love to hate? Yeaah.

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Mountie - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 01:04 PM)Melodia Wrote:
II. Bryn's Bedroom
III. Bryn's Bedroom
IV. Bryn's Bedroom
V. Bryn's Bedroom
VI. Bryn's Bedroom
VII. Bryn's Bedroom
VIII. Bryn's Bedroom
IX. Bryn's Bedroom
X. Bryn's Bedroom

Therefore, no bards.
OH SNAP! Shots fired!!
Wouldn't it be more like "not fired" since there won't be any Bards? ... I'll see myself out.

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Dogberry - 05-27-2015

10. Brayflox - I feel like I could do Brayflox in my sleep by now. In fact, I already have.
9. Sastasha HM - Pirate themed so I love it, but man it's a doozy!
8. Halatali HM - Cool gladiator gauntlet thingy, fun mechanics!
7. Cutter's Cry - I mostly like this one for the Dune jokes I make during the worm boss.
6. Keeper of the Lake - Cool atmosphere but some PITA bosses!
5. Brayflox HM - At this point, I just run Brayflox HM as a time trial to see how fast I can complete it.
4. Tam Tara - Spooky, spooky.
3. Sastasha - I love running newbies through Sastasha to get their first taste of what dungeons in FFXIV are like.
2. Amdapor Keep HM - THAT DPS CHECK YO
1. Tam Tara HM - SPOOKY SPOOKY! Seriously, this one is just all out fun, from the spooky theme to frantic feeling of the boss fights.

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Aya - 05-27-2015

Hmmmm... I'm not going to name ten I don't think!

I really quite liked Hard Mode Longstop.  Something about the big pulls, and then being able to use a well-timed LB to skip the final phase of the last boss just made it feel like a rewarding place to run for the daily Smile

I actually really like the aesthetics of ST (much more so than Labrynth, or bleh, WoD).  I enjoy just looking around while I'm there!

Keeper of the Lake, although I don't like running the dungeon itself, has a terrific vibe from being inside of the airship wreckage (at least until after the second boss).

I really like the original Qarn, it gave a really nice "Indiana Jones" feel ^_^

My least favorite would have to be Ampadoor City - the look of the place and the monsters made me feel physically ill the first time I ran it, like I was having to fight my away across a moldy sandwich.  I'm still impressed at the artists ability to convey something so disgusting so effectively, but I can't really fathom why they would spend such talent and energy on that.

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Gegenji - 05-27-2015

I started at one and worked backwards... and sort of lost steam around number 5. So, apologies if 6-10's reasons and such are a bit lackluster.

10. Haukke Manor NM - Most of the dungeons below this are either straight meh, meh with some annoying aspects (Cutter's Cry's sand traps, I'm looking at you), or dungeons I do not like (Satasha HM). NM Haukke, at least, is simple, straightforward, and atmospheric. The need for keys lends a sort of Zelda-ness to it, and there's a little bit of pride from knowing where each key is and all the doors they can go to. Also you get to interrupt succubi with shield bashes, throat punches, or whatever other interrupt of choice.

9. The Sunken Temple of Qarn HM - Having interesting boss fights helps get it up on this list. Having interesting boss fights with mechanics that will either outright kill you or make things a lot more obnoxious if you ignore them puts it near the bottom. The mummy idea is amusing and interesting to hear about, but not so fun when you get nicked by a mummy or two and spend the next half minute or so hoping the rest of your party doesn't die without your healing/tanking.

8. Haukke Manor HM - You can go through it quick, and then suddenly you have a last boss where if you go too fast... you wipe. At least the other fights are more or less no-brainers, and being able to move quickly through it is always nice for someone who's been through the Duty Finder as often as I have. At least you can use "I'm too stronk" as an excuse for the last boss.

7. Amdapor Keep HM - Most of my love for this instance comes from being able to AoE so much to help out, and the fact that last boss is Voidsent Not-Kefka. The second boss was a bit annoying until I learned about the whole "looking away" bit, and nothing sucks more than when you (or worse, the tank) not noticing the marker over your head and you're making a mad dash to the statues. And those poison field-flinging flowers suck.

6. Pharos Sirius - I think the reason this one is so high up is that it's relatively short, all things considered. And that one boss before the last - Nemesis or something? There's something funny about having to turn to an FC mate and ask if the guy actually does anything considering how quickly the guy melts under fire. Also, the mobs at the start quickly let you know what sort of run you're in for in regards to your party.

5. The Lost City of Amdapor - As has been mentioned, interesting fights push dungeons up on my list. A first boss where I get to throw out "TASTE ME, GAZ, I'M DELICIOUS" is always a plus. Second boss is interesting, if a bit annoying if the stacks get dropped, and the last is my favorite summon from FF9. It's a shame his fight can be quite obnoxious to learn and execute at times. If it wasn't, it'd probably be higher on the list.

4. Dzemael Darkhold - This dungeon has a lot of interesting mechanics - and the fact that you can literally pull the entire first second and tank it in the light of the crystal in the last room is such an empowering thing. The bosses are interesting - even if the second is annoying - and I will never not enjoy emoting at Batraal when he tries to laser at me. /welcome, /joy, /huh.

3. Snowcloak - First and foremost, I love the music for this place. So relaxing and chill, a serene piece for an snowy area. Secondly, I really like the Yeti fight - you make snowballs and throw them at him! It's a unique and rather amusing way to beat a boss. The first one is a bit meh, since you get the frost stack sometimes when you think you've moved, but then you get Yeti and then Fenrir to wrap things up.

2. Wanderer's Palace NM - Tonberries! That more or less sums up my feelings about this, if I'm being perfectly honest with myself. The giant tonberry gives a sense of urgency to keep moving, but doesn't actually straight up kill you if you're lagging, with is nice. And then, in the end, you beat up the King and cleanse the Grudge of the knife-bearing little lantern peoples.

1. Wanderer's Palace HM - With the original at number two, it should come as no surprise that this one's up top. You get to help tonberries! And you can "speedrun" it relatively easily, with one delightfully dangerous but also quite cool one if you can manage to pull everything in that last hallway up to the second boss. And then you get to see the tonberries get their revenge in the end. Good times.

RE: YOUR Top Ten Favorite XIV Dungeons - Spethah - 05-27-2015

10. The Wanderer's Palace

It's a lovely place, you feel that something doesn't feel quite right when you go in the first time and the hard mode version nicely continues that feeling as well. The music is lovely, it has fricking TONBERRIES in it but sadly it's not spam tier. Trust me, as much as I love that place I will never spam it for my zodiac drop ever again. It's soooo lonngggg.

9. Boobflox Brayflox

Brayflox Alltalks is one of my favourites. "Look at me, I'm totally helping." but arrives late and doesn't really help at all. I'm looking at you second boss on normal. Goblin talk makes me giggle as well. As for the dungeon itself, it's bright and adventure likes. You would never expect to fight a dragon at the end if you didn't read dialogue and content. The scenery is great, music is nice. Again it's something I would not spam. It's long and the drops don't dropppp. AARGGH.

8. Hell Halatali and Halatali Hard

These are tied despite the fact it's the same dungeon, essentially. Both the clean up crew of Halatali and the end result battle royale of Hard mode are great. The music fits the dungeon, the dungeon is simple and short. The boss fights are simple as well and fit to the mood of the place. I honestly love the appearance of the dungeon, it's hits you that you're in a combat training area and it stays all the way to the end.

7. Praetorium

If it's on the dungeon list, it's a dungeon. Praetorium is the second of the two 8 man dungeons and is my favourite of the two. The music in there is among my favourites and you get to ride a god damn reaper and be all "pew pew pewpewpewpew BOOM!". It's not spammable even if it has amazing music. It's sad that it isn't and it just feels like a one time treat. Oh well.

6. Sunken Temple of Qarn (Normal and Hard)

DO YOU LIKE ADVENTURE?

SO DO I.

That's all I can say really other than this dungeon has the shittiest XP ever.

5. Hullbreaker

DO YOU LIKE ADVENTURE?

SO DO I.

In fact when I first heard the music and saw the first cutscene I was squealing in delight. It truly felt like an adventure from a point and click puzzle game. The bosses are quirky, the music is awesome and overall it's a bundle of fun for the family! Okay, maybe not. This is a spammable dungeon for me due to the fun factor but the only thing I don't like is the last boss. Why show a Kraken when you can't kill it? Boooo. SE you butt.

4. Tam-Tara Deepcroft Hard.

You're going to see a common theme with the last 4 dungeons. Tam-tara hard is creepy as fuck and I love it. The theme is oooh spooky, the dungeon had me shivering near the end. The real kicker for this place is that it has dialogue in the form of those tiny diary pieces. It really adds a lot to the feel of the place and makes it much different to the normal mode which is just "shtap the culteeessts". It's not a spammable dungeon, but it's one I would gladly run again and again. 

3. Hockey Haukke Manor and Haukke Manor Hard

Are you seeing it now Mister Krabs? Haukke manor and the hard version are lumped together as one simply because it's the same thing. Tragic story of a woman that lost what she prized the most and she goes to great length to have it return. Queue mysterious girl whooaaaa mysterious gurl man and suddenly voidsent. I -love- the voidsent and going through manors. In TERA I had an undying love for Sinestral Manor for the same reason, eery and it's a fucking manor. Hard mode music = unf, and the overall feel and objective is cool. I'd love to have a scooby doo episode in there is it ever clears out.

2. Very Serious Pharos Sirius

THE MUSIC. SIREN IS MY THIRD FAVOURITE SUMMON. IT'S EERY AS FUCK. Need I say more? It's a lovely dungeon, it was a challenge if you didn't have good gear and ohhhh man did I mention the music? Sexy. Once again it as the "voidsent doing shit again" theme, though with a nice twist of it being more towards mythos of a siren luring men to the sea and then slam jam heyayayaying them. I love the umbra isles for the very dark theme and Pharos keeps it running even during the shitty third boss that's actually just a minion. Love that place.

1. The Lost City of Amdapor

See above for the majority, but I'll add that the whole "walking around a dead city" is absolutely awesome. Bad things? Diabolos is a last boss and not a primal, which sucks because he's my absolute favourite summon ever. The place feels long, but isn't really. Also it's a horrible place with bad gear, very punishing. Overall though it makes me feel so happy going in there with it's bittersweet music and the theme of a literal lost city that was taken away by the Black Mages.

B-B-B-BONUS: The Crystal Tower

I was going to put a fangirling gif with an explanation but then I realised I'll get told off for doing that so here's a tl;dr link. I'm a massive FFIII fan and seeing this with the re orchestrated music and all made me fangirl so loudly I was banned off TS until we got out.

It's just beautiful.