Hydaelyn Role-Players
The next Au'ra Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The next Au'ra Question (/showthread.php?tid=11799)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The next Au'ra Question - allgivenover - 05-28-2015

The didn't, it just stated their motif was demonic and that people speculate they are related to dragons, but scholars disagree.

I think they're being deliberately mysterious, we may never know for sure.

Au Ra are Au Ra.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Seye Qhesu - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 01:45 PM)Siha Wrote: Are they actually demonic? I thought that SE just said they had a demonic motif? I wasn't aware they'd actually said they were related to voidsent and such. If so I missed things and I am sorry for asking a dumb question. Angry
I took from their wording that they have descended from such. Could and probably am wrong but the whole dawn father and dusk mother seem to hint at something for me.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Kismet - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 11:33 AM)Verik Wrote: Frankly, I hope the Au Ra lore isn't much more 'fantastic' compared to the other races-- Aging tendencies included. o: Can't say I'm really one to want too much emphasis on any bizarre or unworldly bloodlines-- just gimme a bunch of strangers/natives from a foreign land who are otherwise 'normal' (if, sure, a little rare maybe) in their homeland. (That isn't to say anyone here was arguing for 'fantastic' lore-- I've just seen a lot of over-the-top speculation on other forums.)

^This. I'm hoping they just go for something even and consistent with the other races. If Xaela have a tendency to live for less time on average due to risky lifestyles and practices, that's completely fine and makes sense. But if it turns out all Au Ra live twice as long as other races or some nonsense, I won't be fond of the idea at all.

Them having weird sexual mores like Miqo'te is my biggest fear. Please no.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Gone. - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 08:46 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Them having weird sexual mores like Miqo'te is my biggest fear. Please no.

That's part of what makes Miqo'te so interesting, though, especially on the Keeper side of things.

I'm fine with the idea of them rubbing horns to show affection. However, I do not see them being large in bisexual curiosities. With them traveling and always being in dangers way I see them being raised to pop out kids ASAP to continue their clan forward (Xaela anyway/ lets be seekers).

With Raen being more towards staying in one place they could be abundant and possibly have the keeper system.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Spiritual Machine - 05-28-2015

(05-28-2015, 01:45 PM)Siha Wrote: Are they actually demonic? I thought that SE just said they had a demonic motif? I wasn't aware they'd actually said they were related to voidsent and such. If so I missed things and I am sorry for asking a dumb question. Angry

No, they never said that.

People need to stop saying that. First people really wanted them to be related to dragons, then SE said their motif was demonic and now people really want them to be demons.

Some SE staff even mentioned that the motif for the scales was meant to be reptilian. What's next, people are going to start saying they're related to crocs?

Show Content

(05-28-2015, 09:40 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 08:46 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Them having weird sexual mores like Miqo'te is my biggest fear. Please no.

That's part of what makes Miqo'te so interesting, though, especially on the Keeper side of things.

And it also made RPing them a nightmare, as the vast majority either ignored the interesting stuff because it offended their real life sensibility or used the interesting stuff as a flimsy excuse for fetish.

There's a reason I stopped RPing one.

Way off topic, so that's all I'll say on the matter.

(05-28-2015, 10:47 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 09:40 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:

And it also made RPing them a nightmare, as the vast majority either ignored the interesting stuff because it offended their real life sensibility or used the interesting stuff as a flimsy excuse for fetish.

There's a reason I stopped RPing one.

Way off topic, so that's all I'll say on the matter.
More then understanding on the last part. Ran in to ALOT of that but I know plenty of people who worked/tweaked the their story as not to deal with it without offending others lore stances. If Au'ra end up being alot like seekers I will probably write my Au'ra as to being away from the culture with her own little family that they don't follow it much if at all; afterall, they are traveling and picking up on plenty of other cultures out there.

(05-28-2015, 10:53 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: If Au'ra end up being alot of seekers I will probably write my Au'ra as to being away from the culture with her own little family that they don't follow it much if at all

And here's why I hope that Au Ra have nuclear families and completely "normal" sexual mores. lol

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Cailean Lockwood - 05-29-2015

Don't care, my Au Ra will be gay. Sorry if you don't think that's "normal", but I don't really care. XD

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Samcaesar - 05-29-2015

(05-28-2015, 04:00 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote:
I took from their wording that they have descended from such. Could and probably am wrong but the whole dawn father and dusk mother seem to hint at something for me.
Honestly, I think the "They're related to demons not dragons" is something they lied about or at least not being 100% truthful about to keep people from speculating too much. Like with their concept art, the designs that are the closest to their in game model are labeled Race_Dragon, which just seems a bit strange to me. Plus, 

Someone on the forums brought up the creation myth for the vietnamese people, a light orientated Dragon prince has kids with a darker orientated faerie princess, and their kids (The vietnamese) were then split, one group going with the dad to the shores, the others with the mom into the mountain, really resembling the Au Ra's two clans. Personally I'm hoping for something like that with the Au Ra and their Dawn Father and Dusk Mother, like one of Middy's kids (Or himself) to have gotten busy with some Aether based being and kind of made the Au Ra from that.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Spiritual Machine - 05-29-2015

Except in FFXIV, both dragons and demons have regular ears.

I think any relation of the Au Ra race to a contemporary beast species will be about as well explored and ultimately meaningful as the question of whether Miqo'te are related to cats.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Seye Qhesu - 05-29-2015

(05-29-2015, 10:05 AM)Spiritual Machine Wrote: Except in FFXIV, both dragons and demons have regular ears.

I think any relation of the Au Ra race to a contemporary beast species will be about as well explored and ultimately meaningful as the question of whether Miqo'te are related to cats.
If they release lore that have them more towards beasts then I am fully fine with that! I was just concerned about age really. I do not want to see people claiming to be 200 years old or immortal (its going to happen either way). Plus, I wanted to know if I can give a straight age on my character or have to put it as 'looks xxx'.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Gegenji - 05-29-2015

(05-29-2015, 10:46 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I wanted to know if I can give a straight age on my character or have to put it as 'looks xxx'.

Maybe they don't even have a number system like we do!

"I may look eggplant cycles old, but I'm actually burgundy."

But yeah, it's hard to say overall. They seem to be sticking to a strict age range with the races thus far - with the aforementioned Lalafell/Elezen variance - so they could equally stick to the pattern or try to add to the exotic nature of the Au Ra by giving them an odd lifespan too.

Horrendously long lived? Burn out fast and die young? Turn to stone when their lives are over like the Guardians in Breath of Fire III?

... Actually, that last one would be kinda neat. Their aether returns to the lifestream, leaving a calcified dragon/demon statue in their wake.

Ultimately, it may be best - if you want to start right away, like some others have done - to keep values like that vague until proper lore information is provided. Instead of pinning actually numbers, just stick to broad terms like "on the cusp of adulthood", "middle-aged", and "old." Then you have plenty of room to adjust once the information rolls in.