Hydaelyn Role-Players
The next Au'ra Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The next Au'ra Question (/showthread.php?tid=11799)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The next Au'ra Question - allgivenover - 05-29-2015

(05-29-2015, 02:49 AM)theincubuslord Wrote: Don't care, my Au Ra will be gay. Sorry if you don't think that's "normal", but I don't really care. XD

That isnt what I mean by normal sexual mores. By weird I mean something like the Tia/Nunh dynamic and Keeper promuscuity. Homosexuality isn't weird to RPers and is something the average RPer understands and accepts totally. The weird sexual mores that miqo'te have were simply too strange or unsettling for most to wrap their head around, let alone RP competently.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Seye Qhesu - 05-29-2015

(05-29-2015, 10:56 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(05-29-2015, 10:46 AM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I wanted to know if I can give a straight age on my character or have to put it as 'looks xxx'.

Maybe they don't even have a number system like we do!

"I may look eggplant cycles old, but I'm actually burgundy."

But yeah, it's hard to say overall. They seem to be sticking to a strict age range with the races thus far - with the aforementioned Lalafell/Elezen variance - so they could equally stick to the pattern or try to add to the exotic nature of the Au Ra by giving them an odd lifespan too.

Horrendously long lived? Burn out fast and die young? Turn to stone when their lives are over like the Guardians in Breath of Fire III?

... Actually, that last one would be kinda neat. Their aether returns to the lifestream, leaving a calcified dragon/demon statue in their wake.

Ultimately, it may be best - if you want to start right away, like some others have done - to keep values like that vague until proper lore information is provided. Instead of pinning actually numbers, just stick to broad terms like "on the cusp of adulthood", "middle-aged", and "old." Then you have plenty of room to adjust once the information rolls in.
Judge is old. That is all.

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Gegenji - 05-29-2015

(05-29-2015, 12:02 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: Judge is old. That is all.
"But how old?"
"Very."
"What?"
"Very old."

RE: The next Au'ra Question - Zyrusticae - 05-29-2015

All this talk about age kind of makes me miss RPing in Aion.

Just because age becomes a complete abstraction that is entirely separate from your character's appearance, so you can assume absolutely nothing based on looks. That old geezer could end up being "younger" than that spry-looking teenager over there.

And then when you talk about age, and you have people whose ages are measured in centuries, how do you even handle that in conversation? How that question is answered says a LOT about a character on its own. Some folks take to immortality quite well, while others find it to be more of a prison sentence without an end. And so on and so forth.

But this is all irrelevant here, because I am 100% certain that every race in Eorzea generally does not live very long, especially given how violent the place can actually be at times. I will be the face of un-surprise when, one lore panel later, Au Ra are confirmed as living just about as long as every other being in Eorzea... i.e. not very long at all.

And I will reserve the right to roll my eyes at anyone who attempts to claim immortality in a setting where such a thing automatically marks you as some kind of awful, horrible abuser of black and evil magicks. And then stab them in the face to test their immortality. Hohohohoho. (No, not really. I'll probably just have T'rahnu assume them to be a loony, like she does so many others.)