Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eddard's Music and Request Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Eddard's Music and Request Thread (/showthread.php?tid=11856)

Pages: 1 2

Eddard's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 06-01-2015

So! After too long of a break, I'm opening this up again. I'm offering my services to anybody that would like to have a theme for their character. If you think that your toon having their own theme would be pretty damn cool (and I think it would be pretty damn cool), then this is the place to go to make it happen. I just got my hands on a lot of new tools to use so I'll be able to make just about any genre of theme you'd like! 

Requesting Your Theme

There's a form to fill out at the bottom of this post that will supply me with all sorts of pivotal information. While it needn't be filled out with bountiful detail, the more you put forward about your character, the better. The goal with character themes is to describe what the character is like without words. So if someone asked, "What's Xanister like?" I should be able to just play his theme and have them get a good glimpse. A healthy dose of background will let me more precisely craft a melody to represent your character. While knowing the piece's genre is important information, knowing the personalty I need to emulate is pivotal. Once you send you form, I'll bounce the ideas I have in your direction. Once we're on the same page, I'll get to writing. If your unsure of how to describe what you want in terms of the genre/sound, I'll help you find the right words. That discussion will also lead to the answer to...

Pricing

After thinking hard on this tricky thing to nail, here's the guideline of how much your piece will end up costing. The creative process for one piece can go so differently from another that pinning specific prices is difficult. With that in mind, each category has a range of price, the definite number being decided on after we speak about the piece itself and I know what I'm about to craft. Factors like length, number of instruments, or complexity of the piece are what decide the price tag. For example, the "Small Ensemble - Basic" category has a range of $30-$50. If you want a more reserved and meditative piece that relies on one instrument while others sit in the back(like the one given as an example), the price tag will more likely hover around $30. If you want a more thrilling piece to capture your character's ferocity thus requiring the whole ensemble to be more complex, it'll more likely hover around the $50 mark. Keep in mind that these examples serve as a guideline but are not extremely rigid. While a piano solo is typically going to be around a minute, you could easily request a more involved solo that lasts about three minutes. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Solo Instrument With Accompaniment
Price: $20
Length: 1:00 - 1:30
Instrumentation examples: Violin and piano, solo piano, flute and piano
Show Content

This option will have your character's theme played on an instrument of your choice along with a simple piano part in the background or have the piece played on the piano entirely. This is a basic approach looking to showcase the melody. This is the option to go to if you want a simple sketch of the tune your character is given. 

Small Ensemble - Basic
Price: $30-50
Length: 1:00 - 2:00
Instrumentation examples: String Quartet, Rock Band, Choir
Show Content

Essentially a more in depth approach to the prior option. While this piece's primary goal is still to put forward a single theme, the supporting voices will have more involvement and development. This is the option to go to if you're satisfied with a shorter piece but want more detail around the main idea.

Large Ensemble - Basic
Price: $50-70
Length: 1:00 - 2:00
Instrumentation examples: Full Orchestra, Jazz Band
Show Content

This piece once more focuses on putting a single melody forward but the large amount of instruments will allow it to develop in numerous different ways across its duration. While the piece will still be on the shorter side, this option will allow for the most detail and variation to be put onto the main theme. 

Small Ensemble - Extended
Price: $60 - $80
Length: 2:00 - 3:00
Show Content

This piece would have both a main theme and secondary theme for the character, each having their own chance to express the character in their own way. While the instrumentation would be the same as the "Basic" option, the extended time would allow the piece to more thoroughly express its ideas. This is the option to choose if you want a theme that covers a wider range of emotions or characteristics. 

Large Ensemble - Extended
Price: $80-100
Length: 2:00 - 3:00
Show Content

Like the prior option, this piece would have both a main theme and secondary theme to develop and express itself. With both ample time and instruments to be used, this option will give the piece the most room to work with. This is the option to take if you want the most out of your character's theme. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that alterations to these can be made. Although the target length for a solo piano piece is a minute or so, you could easily ask me for a more involved piano solo spanning three minutes. Once more, definite pricing will be discussed once we pinpoint exactly what you want from me. These bundles are here to give you your range, our pre-composing talk is where we pinpoint. How long these commissions take is entirely dependent on the kind of piece being requested as well as my availability in the coming week. This will be discussed during the application.

If you're interested and want to fill a form out or want to ask a few questions before putting your name down, throw me a PM and we'll get to talking! I very much enjoy putting these pieces together and think they help define a character in a unique way. A nifty thing to show off to all your friends, don't you think? Smile Thanks for both reading and listening!

Latest Piece!

Previous Pieces:
The Sinner and the Saint - Written for Madison Brookstone
Fury's Chosen - Written for Anthony Valron
March of the Castle - Written for Kroemgarr Hollborgsyn
Lost Thoughts - Written For Daiyu Xisheng
Kyor'a Zhnaro's Theme 
Aetherial Lethe - Written for Zustsutsu Zutsu 
Piano Solo in B Minor
Agnus Dei (Brass)
The Betrayed Son (Xanister's Theme)

Show Content

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Raine - 06-01-2015

O.o has nobody else posted yet? Also, will this be a commission, or is this free as of current? I'll wait until I have money if it's indeed commission, I'd just like to know before posting.

I also listened to Xanister's theme and Kyor'a's theme, and they sound wonderful, love them!

EDIT:

Character Name: Raine Kireina

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Brief Character Summary: Raine is a free spirited Miqo'te (soon to be an Au Ra due to... potion) who just goes where the wind - or her friends - takes her. Being a free spirit, you'd expect this archer to be a follower, but instead she's a leader, coming up with a plan or taking action when a situation looks bad. Her only ambition is to one day have a family, be it with a man or woman.

Summarize in 3 Adjectives: Exuberant. Passionate. Intelligent.

I can't wait to hear it, I also apologize I'm not too descriptive. T.T

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Steel Wolf - 06-01-2015

Do you PayPal bro?

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 06-01-2015

It isn't mandatory, but commission for the piece would be very, very appreciated. No matter what the task, it's always better when you get paid for doing it Tongue It would also bump your piece up to the top of the waiting list (I should probably mention that in the OP...). What that commission would be would be entirely dependent on what you want for the piece. For example, a solo piano piece would cost less than a full orchestra piece.

And yes, Steel. I PayPal, bro.

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Raine - 06-01-2015

(06-01-2015, 11:38 AM)MrGuy0250 Wrote: It isn't mandatory, but commission for the piece would be very, very appreciated. No matter what the task, it's always better when you get paid for doing it Tongue It would also bump your piece up to the top of the waiting list (I should probably mention that in the OP...). What that commission would be would be entirely dependent on what you want for the piece. For example, a solo piano piece would cost less than a full orchestra piece.

And yes, Steel. I PayPal, bro.
Okies, I'll be posting info shortly in my original post. I have no money yet, so I'd be patient and wait for mine, but if I come into some soon. Thank you!

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Asmodean - 06-01-2015

Character Name: Asmodean Gaidin

Alignment: Chaotic Good formerly Neutral Good

Brief Character Summary: A merchant son turned Adventurer due to the Calamity. Now his wonders the land looking to make something of himself, while dealing both his loses and a waken by a keepsake darker side.

Summarize in 3 Adjectives: Vigilant, Trustworthy, Self-reliant

Instrumentation Request (Optional): I'm tone death when it comes to making or playing music so I'll leave this to you.

References (Optional):

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance OST - I'm My Own Master Now

I use this when I need to get in Asmodean's head quick as the lyrics fits his background.

Special Requests (Optional): I would like to have a song where a shift can be heard as a sign of his own changes. The once forced path of a merchant now gone as he walks the path he wanted as an adventurer.

>.> Wish I had money to throw around more but alas i don't T.T It is nice to see someone with a skill set like your helping players get something unique to their characters.

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - SM Nick - 06-01-2015

Character Name: Suiren Waterflower

Alignment: Neutral Good/Chaotic Good

Brief Character Summary: She is a Doman Au Ra kunoichi who has come to Eorzea to adventure and explore. Her dream is to be a mermaid and live in the oceans. She is normally cheery and sweet but when she is in combat she becomes serious and cold-hearted with her eyes showing killing intent.

Summarize in 3 Adjectives: Upbeat cute-sexy kunoichi.

Instrumentation Request (Optional): Hers would be a mix of traditional Japanese instruments fused with some brass and trumpets, fi

References (Optional): I would just like one of those anime OST-esque pieces.

Special Requests (Optional): Give it a partial-ninja atmosphere but emphasizes the two different parts of herself, her normal cheery and upbeat side and her dark and serious side, that was born from when her mother passed away back home in the Doman mountains. I don't want it to be sad, but I want it to be happy and exciting, yet also calm and tranquil...do you get me?

Screenshots (Optional): All here!

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Jariana - 06-01-2015

I've sent some details across by PM, please let me know if there is anything else that you would need. Thank you!

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 08-02-2015

Thank you all for your interest. I'm happy to see this garnered interest and am also happy I now have the time to see it all done. 

After Kyor'a's theme was done, I put a hold on writing as I worked two jobs and clocked more hours than my tired body would prefer to build my bank account a bit. I'm back down to one job now so the music making has returned at full force! that being said, Daiyu's theme was bumped out pretty quickly. What Daiyu mentioned in her form that had the biggest impact in this piece is the request for viola specifically because Daiyu both relates to and plays the instrument. With that in mind, I found it fitting to have the piece be a viola solo. The thought of a character being able to perform their own character theme (though they would not likely call it as such) seemed pretty interesting, so I had my starting point. Then it evolved into what you shall now hear. I hope you enjoy!

Lost Thoughts

Next up is Shala Finfright! I have a party to throw tomorrow, so expect a poke from me on Monday!

RE: Guy's Music and Request Thread - Virella - 08-02-2015

Just tossing out here that those pieces are very awesomely done!

RE: Eddard's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 08-04-2015

Thanks very much for the kind words! I'm happy you enjoyed the music Big Grin

RE: Eddard's Music and Request Thread - LadyRochester - 08-04-2015

Hello! Mind passing me your paypal (Or steam, or whatever) info? While I'm interested in being in the waiting list, I'm also interested in donating (So please, no need to bump me up. I can wait!) I should have access to my credit card in a few weeks. 

Your music is wonderful, do you do this entirely digitally? How long have you been practicing music? I'm sorry if I sound horribly nosy.

Otherwise, here's my request form:

Show Content

RE: Eddard's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 01:43 PM)LadyRochester Wrote: Hello! Mind passing me your paypal (Or steam, or whatever) info? While I'm interested in being in the waiting list, I'm also interested in donating (So please, no need to bump me up. I can wait!) I should have access to my credit card in a few weeks. 

Your music is wonderful, do you do this entirely digitally? How long have you been practicing music? I'm sorry if I sound horribly nosy.

Otherwise, here's my request form:

Show Content

Thanks very much for your words in interest! My Steam name is Hodor and my Skype is MrGuy0250. Message me on either you like for my PayPal info. I really appreciate the generous act. Smile

You don't sound nosy at all. I find your interest a compliment of sorts since you probably woduln't be interested if I was bad hehe everything on my Soundcloud is made using sample libraries which are bundles of pre-recorded sounds for instruments. Have one for strings, piano, guitars, blahblahblah. They ain't cheap but I adore them. As for how long, I've been playing music since the third grade and started taking in seriously once I started playing bass in ninth grade. I started composing in tenth grade and just graduated college for composition in May. So I've been comspoing for around....Seven years? I didn't pick up the nifty programs until the start of college, though.

Thanks again for your interest! I'll be updating the list with yours and other entries some time over the next few days. When your turn comes, you'll hear from me!

RE: Eddard's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 08-27-2015

I have returned with music! Contrary to the plan, the music I'll be presenting today isn't what I wrote for Shala. Shala originally asked for a piece that was to be 5-7 minutes long. Although I initially accepted it became a problematic detail when the time came to write it. We were able to compromise and I wrote some short snippets for him. That being said, I just need to clarify that no free requests will exceed 3 minutes. I won't be extremely strict with this and cut a song prematurely should it reach that mark but it will not be far over this should it even reach it.

On top of this, I need to make another unfortunate announcement. Due to the length of the wait list and the time available to me, I'm currently closing all free requests. Should you not want to wait for them to open again, you're free to PM me about commissioning prices. I'm hoping this won't be permanent but it will not be short lived. 

Onto the music that I'll be presenting today, the theme for Kroemgarr Hollborgsyn:

March of the Castle

With the detail presented, Holl's theme was one that I could tell would sound somewhat stalwart from the start, not unlike Xanister's theme. A large difference between the two is that Holl is not the imposing type as Xanister is, making the piece require a different approach in some areas to avoid it sounding too hardened or serious. One of the requests that Holl made actually helped this, that request being some sort of Prelude-esque arpeggio sprinkled here and there. The width and timbre of that piano motif helped lift the vibe of the first half, preventing it from becoming heavier than desired. Another detail that helped set me on the right track is a common factor between his song references. Two of the three used the same scale, that scale being called the Dorian scale. Only one note changes compared to the natural minor scale but it makes a ridiculous difference. The main theme would sound a good deal darker if not for that detail. Case and point: The more you give me the better! Can't stress that enough.

I hope you all enjoy the piece! There's been a change in list order due to someone offering commission for their piece. Anthony Valron has been moved to the top and Minahirion will follow afterwards. Expect a message from me in a day or two, Anthony!

RE: Eddard's Music and Request Thread - Eddard - 09-12-2015

Hello, hello! I've finished another theme to share with you all. Without further delay, I present Anthony Valron's theme:

Fury's Chosen

This is a good example of a theme that was in some ways affected by the character's homeland, Anthony's being Ishgard. For one, there's organ, though that isn't something that effected the song's outcome tremendously (though I do think its timbre was a very nice addition). Anthony requested it to be a theme that "creates excitement and energy." Although this is present through basically the entire piece, there are some sections that are heavier and a bit more intense. This was done with the Dragonsong war in mind, the warlike changes symbolizing the conflict that each and every Ishgardian knows about all too well. These warlike themes do not bring the piece to its end, though, the main theme coming back strong as ever through the conflict. I'm quite happy with its outcome and I hope you all agree!

Next up is Minahirion which will be followed by Zac Evans, a commission customer that has been bumped up to the top for his contribution. Expect a message from me very soon, Minahirion!