Hydaelyn Role-Players
So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: So you want to make a character on Balmung? (/showthread.php?tid=11857)

So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Mountie - 06-01-2015

I typed this message a little while back to one user, but with the number of people seeming to expand in multitudes, I thought it couldn't hurt to make a post of this that others can link, copypasta, etc.

<><><><><>

I have heard quite a bit lately about individuals who are waiting for the Status page to update, only to turn back to more thumb twiddling when they don't see that mystical mark that states that the server is indeed taking new characters.

Makes sense right? I thought so too, but then I decided to delve a little deeper to see what information I could find on the misconception here, and I wanted to clear it up in case you were still having difficulties getting to Balmung.

When reading about the server status, one inevitably ends up on the Status page that is updated at x, y, z times of the day to show server opening etc. It was also my notion that this status would remain in effect until the next update. However it is not, and the server actually reacts dynamically based on the number of individuals that are currently in-game and playing. As such, I would not be following that page for a reliable opening.

The best advice I can give for rolling onto Balmung is to go ahead, model your character exactly the way you want them, and then save that character data when presented the option.

Roughly around 5-6 AM EST, I have yet to see the server not open. In actuality it probably notes openings and starts allowing people around 4 in the morning on the WEEKDAYS (Weekends, all bets are off) however I am never up this early to confirm that. But yes, honestly that Status is already invalid no more then three minutes after being released and serves more as an advertisement / funnel to get folks to move off to other servers.

There are of course other openings, such as maintenence ending as well the good ol' fashioned luck-o-draw but this is the most reliable way to ensure you are able to make your character about 99.8675309% of the time. Anyhow! I hope you get to Balmung soon if you're not already with us!

<><><><><>

Please feel free to point out errors or curse Tommy Twotone for putting that number sequence in my head.

RE: So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Addison - 06-01-2015

I had to camp the server for a few days before I was able to create a toon on Balmung. I did exactly as you said: Created my characters and saved appearance, then periodically checked. I wake up early for work (5am) so I just checked before work one day when I had time.

But it's worth it Smile

RE: So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Arik - 06-01-2015

I've only recently joined the server, so the "struggle" to get on was very real for me only a short time ago. Luckily though, there have been some great tips posted in various places on these forums on how to get in. Smile 

Early weekday mornings sure seem to be like the prime time to create a new character there-- It's almost always open around 5-7 am CST when I get up, just so long as it's not a weekend or holiday (in which case I can also confirm that all bets are off.)

Personally, I purchased the game just before and wound up with a lot of time to play over Memorial Weekend but, unfortunately, had missed the creation window on Thursday. I wound up breaking and purchasing a transfer onto the server so that I could get to playing and not lose out on a holiday weekend to do so. World Transfers don't seem to take character locks into account, so they're an alternative for anyone who may not be able to/may not wish to take advantage of the early weekday mornings.

RE: So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Pumpkin - 06-02-2015

Waiting until a maintenance ends is the most reliable way to get on the server from what I've seen. I had friends try to join Balmung to play with me and they all got so frustrated.

I have to say it took me a weekend to get on Balmung and it was well worth the effort.

RE: So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Blythe - 06-02-2015

Along with everyone else, I agree with a lot of their suggestion. And with that, I will add on one more suggestion for you all.

While this is probably the most stressful, yet oh so satisfying way of creating a character on Balmung, there's always that minute or two BEFORE maintenance in which the servers will open barely since everyone is logging off. I would definitely make sure you already have your looks saved since it's a race against the clock to create before the servers shut down. 

In no way do I recommend creating your character this way. But if you are unable to get on very early or cannot afford a world transfer, it'll probably be the best bet after those two options. 

(I'm not going to lie. I waited for the last second before maintenance started to get into Balmung... I know, I'm crazy.)

RE: So you want to make a character on Balmung? - Swashbuckler - 06-03-2015

(06-02-2015, 07:47 PM)Pumpkin Wrote: Waiting until a maintenance ends is the most reliable way to get on the server from what I've seen. I had friends try to join Balmung to play with me and they all got so frustrated.

I have to say it took me a weekend to get on Balmung and it was well worth the effort.

I've also found that doing this RIGHT BEFORE maintenance starts is a good idea, also. A lot of people seem to log off, I'd say, 5 minutes before it starts. So if you have a character data saved, this is also a good way to go about getting a character created on Balmung.