Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea (/showthread.php?tid=11909)

An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Scorpio Shirica - 06-04-2015

OOC Background: I'm a veteran RP'er that is looking to get involved in the RP Community on Balmung. Looking for friends, common RP Hotspots that would fit my character, etc. I've been RPing for 14 years and if you want to know more about me personally, feel free to stop by my introduction thread or send me a private message.

IC Background: Scorpio Shirica is a Duskwight Elezen from the caverns of the Wildwood. He was born with lighter skin than most his brothers and sisters, causing many uncomfortable stares and glances through his upbringing. This caused him to withdraw from most social functions, but it helped grow an intense curiosity in the world around him. Eventually, his studies would tap into the arts of arcane and the nature of elementals. His parents recognized these talents in him and believed him destined to be a scholar.

The young Elezen was given enough money and clothes to venture to the Arcanist Guild in Limsa Lominsa to hone his talents. 
----

I am still in the process of building the character, there are some specifics that I'm still unsure of. Such as exact year of birth. However, I know enough of his personality and background to start interacting with others. As I learn more about the lore, then I will build up his character profile and story.

If you have suggestions or think we might make a good RP Connection, then please let me know. I'm definitely open to feedback.

Thanks!

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Sounsyy - 06-04-2015

Feel free to ask any lore questions here or can send in PM? Plenty of folk who can help with lore things, myself included. ^^

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Scorpio Shirica - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 08:53 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Feel free to ask any lore questions here or can send in PM? Plenty of folk who can help with lore things, myself included. ^^

Wow! That's very nice of you.

Is there an idea of an age at which Duskwight Elezen are considered mature enough to be adults or independent, like a coming of age? I remember reading that they live a bit older than Hyur, but not much in the way of specifics yet.

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Sounsyy - 06-04-2015

(06-04-2015, 08:55 PM)Scorpio Shirica Wrote: Is there an idea of an age at which Duskwight Elezen are considered mature enough to be adults or independent, like a coming of age? I remember reading that they live a bit older than Hyur, but not much in the way of specifics yet.

Unfortunately not! We know Elezen in general live an extended lifespan compared to the other four Races of Man, but Fernehalwes never said how many years exactly. The average Hyur lives between 80-100 years, so we've taken to assume an Elezen may live anywhere from 100-120. They also have an extended adolescence. So perhaps a 20 year old Elezen may still be considered a child or "teen" in the minds of other Elezen, but we weren't given any specifics unfortunately.

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Scorpio Shirica - 06-05-2015

(06-04-2015, 10:34 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 08:55 PM)Scorpio Shirica Wrote: Is there an idea of an age at which Duskwight Elezen are considered mature enough to be adults or independent, like a coming of age? I remember reading that they live a bit older than Hyur, but not much in the way of specifics yet.

Unfortunately not! We know Elezen in general live an extended lifespan compared to the other four Races of Man, but Fernehalwes never said how many years exactly. The average Hyur lives between 80-100 years, so we've taken to assume an Elezen may live anywhere from 100-120. They also have an extended adolescence. So perhaps a 20 year old Elezen may still be considered a child or "teen" in the minds of other Elezen, but we weren't given any specifics unfortunately.

Ah, bummer. Was hoping there was a side quest somewhere that would hint at it. The Duskwights seem to be pretty mysterious. Only real mention I've had of them was in the shroud at that tavern, where the poor guy got beat up and it was revealed that there are a lot of Duskwight brigands that have given them a bad name.

Do we know if they mature at a different age physiologically at all? Even if they are considered a child or "teen", do their bodies mature much slower?

Thanks again for the help!

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Kellach Woods - 06-05-2015

South Shroud has a quest with some Duskwight elezen archaeologists trying to "clear" the reputation of Duskwights, and LNC class quests deals with the idea of racism vs. Duskwights kinda.

I'd say beyond the Roegadyns, Duskwights are probably the clan with the least amount of in-game lore. Refer to Sounsyy for more details.

(06-05-2015, 08:08 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: South Shroud has a quest with some Duskwight elezen archaeologists trying to "clear" the reputation of Duskwights, and LNC class quests deals with the idea of racism vs. Duskwights kinda.

I'd say beyond the Roegadyns, Duskwights are probably the clan with the least amount of in-game lore. Refer to Sounsyy for more details.
Do you happen to know where the Abanii stuff is referenced in game? This Duskwight clan might shed some light on others cultures as well. Sounds fascinating, matriarchal with a focus on honor (with a twist). The coming of age ceremony also sounds pretty awesome.

I'll have to do the quest in South Shroud if I can find it, so thanks for the tip!

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Category:Abanii

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Kellach Woods - 06-05-2015

Player Created Clan
This is one of the many Player-Created Duskwight Clans.

Not an actual canon thing - it's player made. Same with my own duskwight cutie.

The quest is near Buscarron's Druthers, southwest of it if I remember correctly. It's not story related so you can miss it.

(06-05-2015, 08:35 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Player Created Clan
This is one of the many Player-Created Duskwight Clans.

Not an actual canon thing - it's player made. Same with my own duskwight cutie.

The quest is near Buscarron's Druthers, southwest of it if I remember correctly. It's not story related so you can miss it.
Ah bummer, sounds like they simply took inspiration from Forgotten Realms Drow (and toned down the evil a lot), so I can't say I'm too surprised.

Thanks for pointing me out where I can go to an in-game questline though, that's really helpful.

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Scorpio Shirica - 06-10-2015

(06-04-2015, 08:53 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Feel free to ask any lore questions here or can send in PM? Plenty of folk who can help with lore things, myself included. ^^
Do you happen to have any sources on how Arcanist magic works, mechanically speaking? 

i.e. does it always require a Grimoire? Quill with magic ink? Can they speak some mage-math and simply make spells happen if they're really experienced or masterful with certain spells?

Any of that kinda stuff about how Arcanist magic works would be greatly appreciated!

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Sounsyy - 06-10-2015

(06-10-2015, 08:13 PM)Scorpio Shirica Wrote:
Do you happen to have any sources on how Arcanist magic works, mechanically speaking? 

i.e. does it always require a Grimoire? Quill with magic ink? Can they speak some mage-math and simply make spells happen if they're really experienced or masterful with certain spells?

Sure do!

Mechanically, Arcanists draw upon their own aether to cast their spells, but rely on arcane symbols, glyphs, and geometric patterns to shape their spell. So the caster provides the fuel, the glyphs provide the magical template, and the ink amplifies the spell based upon the quality of the ink. Special inks made from aetherially-inducting metals such as silver, gold, rosegold, and electrum help easier conduction of energies from the body to the book.

So, in most cases yes, Arcanima requires the grimoire. Theoretically, an experienced Arcanist might be able to trace the glyphs in their head without a book, but without the ink, their spells would likely be considerably weaker or more taxing on the individual. I've also seen some RPers use the headcannon of aetherial ink-based tattoos, where they tattoo the geometries on their skin for a few spells.

As for the Carbuncle, it is an Arcanist-created entity of the same taxonomy as the Elementals, and is considered, like the Fae and Sprites to be a "Lesser Elemental." These are willed into existence using the caster's own aether.

I've spoilered some more lore from other posts below!

Show Content

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: An Elezen looking to learn more about Eorzea - Scorpio Shirica - 06-10-2015

(06-10-2015, 10:19 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(06-10-2015, 08:13 PM)Scorpio Shirica Wrote:

Sure do!

Mechanically, Arcanists draw upon their own aether to cast their spells, but rely on arcane symbols, glyphs, and geometric patterns to shape their spell. So the caster provides the fuel, the glyphs provide the magical template, and the ink amplifies the spell based upon the quality of the ink. Special inks made from aetherially-inducting metals such as silver, gold, rosegold, and electrum help easier conduction of energies from the body to the book.

So, in most cases yes, Arcanima requires the grimoire. Theoretically, an experienced Arcanist might be able to trace the glyphs in their head without a book, but without the ink, their spells would likely be considerably weaker or more taxing on the individual. I've also seen some RPers use the headcannon of aetherial ink-based tattoos, where they tattoo the geometries on their skin for a few spells.

As for the Carbuncle, it is an Arcanist-created entity of the same taxonomy as the Elementals, and is considered, like the Fae and Sprites to be a "Lesser Elemental." These are willed into existence using the caster's own aether.

I've spoilered some more lore from other posts below!

Quote:“Adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within occult grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist's aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells.
Using the selfsame symbols to unlock the latent power contained within gemstones, arcanists are also able to summon forth the familiar known as Carbuncle to carry out their bidding.”
Show Content
Anonymous Arcanist Wrote:For an arcanist to weave his spells, he must conjure in his mind the image of distinct mystical diagrams known as arcane geometries. These geometries are inscribed upon the pages of a grimoire, such as the one you constructed at my request.

The most important aspect of any grimoire is the quality of the ink used to illustrate its pages. Geometries drawn with ink that is especially conductive to the flow of aether allow the arcanist to more effectively channel his magical strength.
Show Content
(03-17-2015, 04:52 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: I think the difference could be that an Arcanist's grimoire isn't just a focus like staves for Thaumaturges and Conjurers, but also an amplifier of their aether. According to the lodestone text on the mediums, it's the actual glyphs and symbols drawn in the book that are the focus for an Arcanist's spells, but it's the quality of the ink in which they are drawn which facilitates easier casting. Where as a Thaumaturge's strength comes from within himself and a Conjurer's strength comes from nature, perhaps an Arcanist's strength is more or less dependent upon the quality of their weapon?

Hope this helps! ^^
Wow, you're awesome. Like a walking, talking thome of FFXIV lore. I just spent several hours googling this lore between today and yesterday and this is much more helpful.

I like the idea of Scorpio's Carbunkle being a companion from a younger age.  He didn't come into his own as a full Arcanist until he received formal training at the Arcanist guild at Limsa Liminsa. If he was studying Arcanist books in his younger years and came across the algorithm for summoning a Carbunkle, then perhaps in his youth he decided to tattoo it on him to be able to call her in his greater times of need? 

Since it's more based on their own Aether, I suppose on some subconscious level, the event in his youth that caused him enough trauma to require a Carbunkle for self defense would then allow him to use the ink on his flesh combined with a clear picture of the creature that saved him, summon the creature. 

Since the Grimoire isn't actually the focus, does this mean a powerful quill with more aetherially-inducting metals would mean more to the Arcanist than the book itself? 

This is all theory of course, but the idea would be Scorpio might keep a quill in his robe to recall maybe one or two spells from memory. However, he wouldn't have the strength to use his own aether for these spells alone and would require the ink to amplify his strength. So maybe it's a warding spell and he quickly pulls out his quill and draws these shapes on the ground to erect a magical wall or shield in great times of need.