Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello~ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello~ (/showthread.php?tid=11920)

Hello~ - Dayst - 06-05-2015

First off I'd like to say hello to the community~

Secondly I am new to Final Fantasy XIV but not the whole RP concept. I am currently spending my time doing the 14-day free trial in order to get a 'hands-on feel' of the lore and races, whilst reading up on whatever I can find.

I'm not really sure about the name I've currently chosen only because with the lore for Miqo'te they use tribal names. But that is where my question comes in. Browsing among the many many RP profiles within both tribes I've come across many males that do not use the traditional naming process. So what I'm asking is..

"How should I go about naming myself? Does it really matter considering I'm not planning on immersing myself in the tribal aspect of the race?"

I am currently planning on having my character be an adventurer of a sort that rather go by a 'nick-name' instead of his actual tribal name. If it would make a difference I plan on starting over, or maybe a name change.

So I also have another question which I probably could of found if I dug around here a bit more than I had. I did notice that there are a lot of Miqo'te males that lean to being attracted with men. I just wanted to know a general standing of this on Balmung. I would like to also point out that I am in fact a Keeper.

Well, I think that is all my questions for now. A bit more about myself. I am currently playing on Balmung and the game I mainly play (well before I started the trial) would be Aion. I am currently involved in a Roleplaying legion there along with a community. I would say I am somewhere between moderate/hardcore when I actually get the full swing of things. I'm pretty sure right now I'll be more casual/moderate til I figure things out. I am also not the best at grammar (which you might of noticed) so I might make your eyes bleed but bare with me. I can be rather shy but if I want to do something enough I will make a point to get it done. With this being said, once I get a decent idea of what I want my character to be I plan on poking around and actually contacting people to get involved. I should probably start connections right now, lol. Last thing is since I do have a child to care for I might be a bit busy or distracted to actually reply. Usually going afk a lot.

I'll poke around on the forums a bit more, read up on everyone. I wouldn't mind if anyone decided to point me in the right direction to a good mercenary like FC and RP LS that would be grand. Hope to see you guys around, I understand I might not see most of you since it's a big world but til then~

RE: Hello~ - Terra - 06-05-2015

There are all sorts of reasons for different naming conventions from different clans/societies to being adopted to just choosing your own name (if you start in Gridania in fact you are asked if your name is actually your real name or an assumed one). My own roleplay group has several unique Miqo'te clans and tribes and societies .

Most people that like to roleplay in my experience are pretty open minded. Groups that are against LGBT are the rarity, usually, does not mean that every character is interested in pursuing that kind of relationship however. Although I do also know a lot of homosexual manqo'te. It's just a thing within the group. Each group will have their own style and themes so it takes making a connection and talking to people to really know a group.

RE: Hello~ - Addison - 06-05-2015

Hello Smile Welcome!

I'm not sure if this will help you, because you stated you're not interested in playing on the whole tribal aspect of your chosen race, but I used this site to help me name my characters.

Hope it helps! If not, that's ok too Smile Was mostly popping in to say hello!

RE: Hello~ - Rosamund - 06-06-2015

Welcome aboard! As for the tribal naming, I'd say it's down to your preference. Inarah, for example, isn't in a tribe anymore yet still has her tribal name and many of her old tribal values and beliefs influence her present behaviour. Whilst she will answer to "J'inarah Marad", she always introduces herself as just "Inarah". I have also met others who don't follow the naming conventions at all and it's not a problem so, really, whatever works for your character and his background should be fine. Smile

RE: Hello~ - Dayst - 06-06-2015

I would like to say thank you for all warm welcomes and quick answers. Truly helpful!

(06-05-2015, 10:11 PM)Terra Wrote: There are all sorts of reasons for different naming conventions from different clans/societies to being adopted to just choosing your own name (if you start in Gridania in fact you are asked if your name is actually your real name or an assumed one). My own roleplay group has several unique Miqo'te clans and tribes and societies .

Most people that like to roleplay in my experience are pretty open minded. Groups that are against LGBT are the rarity, usually, does not mean that every character is interested in pursuing that kind of relationship however. Although I do also know a lot of homosexual manqo'te. It's just a thing within the group. Each group will have their own style and themes so it takes making a connection and talking to people to really know a group.

I did start in Gridania since I picked Archer.

Perfect this is what I gathered from general browsing and checking out search updates in players windows. I know not everyone will be accepting which is why I will always ask before just doing (which is the proper way lol).

(06-05-2015, 11:26 PM)Addison Wrote: Hello Smile Welcome!

I'm not sure if this will help you, because you stated you're not interested in playing on the whole tribal aspect of your chosen race, but I used this site to help me name my characters.

Hope it helps! If not, that's ok too Smile Was mostly popping in to say hello!

Yeah I used that at the start...well sort of at the start. I first made my normal name, did a bit of research and was like 'well his name has too many syllables' and now I'm using Dayst Kaydrah. He still has a tribal name but it's a bit different since his father is a seeker.

(06-06-2015, 07:01 AM)Inarah Wrote: Welcome aboard! As for the tribal naming, I'd say it's down to your preference. Inarah, for example, isn't in a tribe anymore yet still has her tribal name and many of her old tribal values and beliefs influence her present behaviour. Whilst she will answer to "J'inarah Marad", she always introduces herself as just "Inarah". I have also met others who don't follow the naming conventions at all and it's not a problem so, really, whatever works for your character and his background should be fine. Smile

Like I mentioned above my character is currently IG listed as Dayst Kaydrah. His full name is D'asha 'Dayst' Kaydrah. I personally liked the idea of having a mix breed so I picked his father to be a seeker and his mother a keeper. Growing up as a keeper and so on. He sort of uses his tribal name to create his new name.

Though I did think of another rather noobish question since I haven't actually ever done it before...but how do you go about making a character profile on the wiki? I'm logged into it but unsure of how to navigate.

RE: Hello~ - Rosamund - 06-06-2015

(06-06-2015, 08:06 AM)Dayst Wrote: Like I mentioned above my character is currently IG listed as Dayst Kaydrah. His full name is D'asha 'Dayst' Kaydrah. I personally liked the idea of having a mix breed so I picked his father to be a seeker and his mother a keeper. Growing up as a keeper and so on. He sort of uses his tribal name to create his new name.

Though I did think of another rather noobish question since I haven't actually ever done it before...but how do you go about making a character profile on the wiki? I'm logged into it but unsure of how to navigate.

Ah right, well that sounds fine!

To make an entry, type in your character's full name in the search bar on the wiki. It (should) come up with no results, and a link to "create the page on this wiki". Click that and get started! Once you save the page, your character will now have an entry.

(06-06-2015, 08:14 AM)Inarah Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 08:06 AM)Dayst Wrote: Like I mentioned above my character is currently IG listed as Dayst Kaydrah. His full name is D'asha 'Dayst' Kaydrah. I personally liked the idea of having a mix breed so I picked his father to be a seeker and his mother a keeper. Growing up as a keeper and so on. He sort of uses his tribal name to create his new name.

Ah right, well that sounds fine!

To make an entry, type in your character's full name in the search bar on the wiki. It (should) come up with no results, and a link to "create the page on this wiki". Click that and get started! Once you save the page, your character will now have an entry.

That is so simple! I didn't even think of trying that! Thanks~

RE: Hello~ - Nebbs - 06-06-2015

(06-05-2015, 07:15 PM)Dayst Wrote: I'll poke around on the forums a bit more, read up on everyone. I wouldn't mind if anyone decided to point me in the right direction to a good mercenary like FC and RP LS that would be grand. Hope to see you guys around, I understand I might not see most of you since it's a big world but til then~

Welcome.

I would suggest you check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you. A Linkshell is like an in game chat channel and you can have 8, and a Free Company is like a Guild.

And you would be welcome to come join us in [Hugs & Cakes Link Shell] where there is a nice positive bunch of RPers.

(06-06-2015, 08:28 AM)Nebbs Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 07:15 PM)Dayst Wrote: I'll poke around on the forums a bit more, read up on everyone. I wouldn't mind if anyone decided to point me in the right direction to a good mercenary like FC and RP LS that would be grand. Hope to see you guys around, I understand I might not see most of you since it's a big world but til then~

Welcome.

I would suggest you check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you. A Linkshell is like an in game chat channel and you can have 8, and a Free Company is like a Guild.

And you would be welcome to come join us in [Hugs & Cakes Link Shell] where there is a nice positive bunch of RPers.

I will be sure to check both out once I know 100% on what I want to do. I'm still torn at the moment on if I really want to keep my character a keeper or change him to a seeker. *is super indecisive when starting a new game*

RE: Hello~ - Faye - 06-09-2015

Hello and welcome! Big Grin

(06-05-2015, 07:15 PM)Dayst Wrote: "How should I go about naming myself? Does it really matter considering I'm not planning on immersing myself in the tribal aspect of the race?"

I am currently planning on having my character be an adventurer of a sort that rather go by a 'nick-name' instead of his actual tribal name. If it would make a difference I plan on starting over, or maybe a name change.

I think it's a wise idea to at least brush up on the Miqo'te lore, since it is canon to the universe and will probably come up often in your character's life, if only in the form of questions like, "Why aren't you with your clan/tribe?" so I'd just be prepared to have answers ready for these questions. There's no reason your character cannot go by a nickname, so whatever you choose to name your character is fine, I'd just also recommend knowing your character's birth name, or knowing a reason why a lore-accurate name is not your character's given name.

(06-05-2015, 07:15 PM)Dayst Wrote: I did notice that there are a lot of Miqo'te males that lean to being attracted with men. I just wanted to know a general standing of this on Balmung. I would like to also point out that I am in fact a Keeper.

Beyond speculation, there's nothing in the lore that insists Miqo'te men have a higher rate of homosexuality than any of the other races. In fact, in the case of Keepers of the Moon, the men are incredibly rare, so homosexuality would probably be very frowned upon from other Keepers. They may not mind a male Keeper fooling around with other men, but when the time came, I imagine he'd still be expected to breed with women.

On the server, though, yes, it's common enough. I will warn you there is a negative stigma with the "yaoi catboys," but certainly not everyone feels that way, and if it's something that you'd want to role-play, there is a decently sized niche for it.

RE: Hello~ - Viola - 06-09-2015

Welcome to the forums.

RE: Hello~ - Dayst - 06-10-2015

(06-09-2015, 03:06 PM)Faye Wrote: Hello and welcome! Big Grin

(06-05-2015, 07:15 PM)Dayst Wrote: "How should I go about naming myself? Does it really matter considering I'm not planning on immersing myself in the tribal aspect of the race?"

I think it's a wise idea to at least brush up on the Miqo'te lore, since it is canon to the universe and will probably come up often in your character's life, if only in the form of questions like, "Why aren't you with your clan/tribe?" so I'd just be prepared to have answers ready for these questions. There's no reason your character cannot go by a nickname, so whatever you choose to name your character is fine, I'd just also recommend knowing your character's birth name, or knowing a reason why a lore-accurate name is not your character's given name.

(06-05-2015, 07:15 PM)Dayst Wrote: I did notice that there are a lot of Miqo'te males that lean to being attracted with men. I just wanted to know a general standing of this on Balmung. I would like to also point out that I am in fact a Keeper.

Beyond speculation, there's nothing in the lore that insists Miqo'te men have a higher rate of homosexuality than any of the other races. In fact, in the case of Keepers of the Moon, the men are incredibly rare, so homosexuality would probably be very frowned upon from other Keepers. They may not mind a male Keeper fooling around with other men, but when the time came, I imagine he'd still be expected to breed with women.

On the server, though, yes, it's common enough. I will warn you there is a negative stigma with the "yaoi catboys," but certainly not everyone feels that way, and if it's something that you'd want to role-play, there is a decently sized niche for it.

Thanks!

I know his back story and a read up on the whole Miqo'te lore. I also know his full name and why he goes by his nickname instead. He won't stop others from calling him by his tribal name but prefers to be called otherwise.

I don't mind the whole 'yaoi scene' but I won't be immersing myself in that mainly since my character won't just be into men. I mainly wanted to know the standing of that on the server itself since I knew keeper males are a rarity and it would be frowned upon. But I have managed to find my way into an FC that has similar point of view on the matter.

Thank you for all the advice. I will consider it and adjust as needed Big Grin

(06-09-2015, 03:22 PM)Memenu Wrote: Welcome to the forums.

Much thanks!