Hydaelyn Role-Players
How To IC Tumblr - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How To IC Tumblr (/showthread.php?tid=11960)

How To IC Tumblr - Steel Wolf - 06-08-2015

Okay, so..I'm leaning towards the decision to create a Tumblr blog as Steel's IC journal. I'm not sure a great deal of people will read it, but if nothing else it will operate as a place for me to practice my writing as well as develop my headcanon for Steel.

Thing is, I'm an absolute Tumblr noob and I'm not really sure how to build it and dress it up.

I'll perhaps start with the ideas and vision I have for the blog.

As I said, the thing will be a journal for Steel, and so I'd like it to have that same sort of appearance...something with a leatherbound parchment feel--something rugged and road-worn, with stains of the elements and her own sweat or blood on occasion.

I also feel like some sort of pictures now and again would be a welcome addition, but I don't draw really well anymore and Steel is definitely no artist. Now, the first though I have is "Well I'm a bad drawer and Steel has no artistic skill, so it'll work perfectly!"...but I'm not so sure that it'll be really palatable. Tumblrs full of excellently-drawn art appeal because of excellently-drawn art. I have a hard time thinking anyone will subscribe or even want to look at a journal with awful doodles.

These are just my meandering wobblythoughts about the whole thing and was looking to aggregate ideas, opinions and examples. A search for "tumblr blog" upended the entire forum into my lap, so hopefully this thread can become a fixed point for people like myself intrigued by the idea but otherwise ignorant on how to use Tumblr to its best potential.

Thanks for the read, folks. <3

RE: How To IC Tumblr - Moonlit - 06-08-2015

(06-08-2015, 08:09 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Okay, so..I'm leaning towards the decision to create a Tumblr blog as Steel's IC journal.  I'm not sure a great deal of people will read it, but if nothing else it will operate as a place for me to practice my writing as well as develop my headcanon for Steel.

Thing is, I'm an absolute Tumblr noob and I'm not really sure how to build it and dress it up.

I'll perhaps start with the ideas and vision I have for the blog.

As I said, the thing will be a journal for Steel, and so I'd like it to have that same sort of appearance...something with a leatherbound parchment feel--something rugged and road-worn, with stains of the elements and her own sweat or blood on occasion.

I also feel like some sort of pictures now and again would be a welcome addition, but I don't draw really well anymore and Steel is definitely no artist.  Now, the first though I have is "Well I'm a bad drawer and Steel has no artistic skill, so it'll work perfectly!"...but I'm not so sure that it'll be really palatable.  Tumblrs full of excellently-drawn art appeal because of excellently-drawn art.  I have a hard time thinking anyone will subscribe or even want to look at a journal with awful doodles.

These are just my meandering wobblythoughts about the whole thing and was looking to aggregate ideas, opinions and examples.  A search for "tumblr blog" upended the entire forum into my lap, so hopefully this thread can become a fixed point for people like myself intrigued by the idea but otherwise ignorant on how to use Tumblr to its best potential.

Thanks for the read, folks. <3

Hi Steel!

So I have a general how-to here but to help you out with some of your questions:

In terms of your "theme" you'd be best choosing some form of base and then customizing it. Most themes allow you to add some sort of background and varying colors. A few good ones that you may be interested in are:

This One // Example
or maybe,
This One // Example

You can also check out: http://roleplay-theme-recs.tumblr.com/  for other themes that you can use as a base.

I explain how themes work but for a tl ; dr, after you copy the code (provided on the posts), and then paste them into the html section of your customize, you'll "save," and then hit the <- arrow. Afterwards, most of the time you can edit backgrounds (so you can just pick up a parchment background) and adjust colors. 

For pictures, there's lots of things you can find on tumblr using the search feature. In Coerthas? Search for snow! Stuff like that.