Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to FFXIV, Server Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New to FFXIV, Server Question (/showthread.php?tid=11982)

New to FFXIV, Server Question - Gnomedic - 06-09-2015

Heya folks!  I'm brand-spanking new to FFXIV, but have years of experience in other MMOs and RPing outlets. Through research, I've been informed that Balmung is the place to be for RPers, and Gilgamesh a close second. Both servers are constantly resctricted and I've not been able to get on at all so far, so I was wondering if there is another server out there that RPers are taking over due to the limited availability of the other servers? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you so much!

RE: New to FFXIV, Server Question - Edda - 06-09-2015

From what I've heard, RP can found on pretty much every server (at least the non-dead ones), just in much, much smaller quantities. If that's okay with you, I'd recommend doing some research and asking around before you settle on a server that might or might not have an RP population, but is easy to get into. Behemoth, Lamia, Hyperion, Adamantoise - I know all these servers and more have at least SOME RPers on them, but obviously none of them will be nearly as populous as Balmung. I will say that although it is difficult, it is still quite possible to get into Balmung, it just takes good timing and persistence. Either way, good luck.

RE: New to FFXIV, Server Question - Viola - 06-09-2015

I know Siren has a decent sized RP community, it's not amazingly large, but it's there.

RE: New to FFXIV, Server Question - Aya - 06-09-2015

I won't discourage you from anything, but I'd just like to say that the RP community on Balmung is one of the finest that I've ever been a part of.  I understand that Gilgamesh's is pretty great too (but I haven't played there!)

I went through a different series of trials trying to get on Balmung  (it was during the launch era server lock troubles) but I know that it was well worth going to the effort to get onto the server, and I'm so glad that I did. 

Whatever you decide to do I hope you find a server where you enjoy yourself!  That's what its about :-]

RE: New to FFXIV, Server Question - Gnomedic - 06-09-2015

Thank you so much for all of the switch responses! I think, for the time being, I'll just hop onto a random server to get a feel for the game, learn the lore, and develop my headcanon for a character in hopes of eventually getting into Balmung. I have RL friends that play there and it would be great to get to play with them as well.

Thanks everyone! Big Grin

RE: New to FFXIV, Server Question - Arik - 06-09-2015

As others have mentioned, there is RP on other servers, just in much smaller doses. It's probably safe to assume that there isn't much *open* RP as well, and you might have to do a little more OOC legwork to find it. There is an "other" server option on the Linkshell Hall that lists Linkshells from other servers here, if you'd like to check it out. I know there was also a recent post about someone who had started a new RP FC on Lamia here. 

That said, it's perfectly possible to get onto both Balmung and Gilgamesh-- it's just all about timing or what you might be willing to do to get onto the "main" RP servers. I've only recently joined the game myself and had to go through this whole process.

There are some great tips for getting a character on Balmung here. It basically amounts to:
  • Trying character creation on early weekday mornings. For me *personally* I found both Balmung and Gilgamesh open Monday-Thursday around 5-7 AM CST. (Friday-Sunday and holidays seem to be an absolute no-go.)
  • Trying character creation immediately before or after maintenance.
  • Creating a toon on a different server, playing for three days, and then simply coughing up the dough to transfer *onto* Balmung or Gilgamesh, as this will bypass any character creation restrictions. 
Hope this helps, good luck! \o/