Hydaelyn Role-Players
FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE (/showthread.php?tid=12084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE - Kellach Woods - 06-21-2015

The problem is that the translation didn't get that across - It tried way too hard to be serious, when if he was a dork, it should have shown that more.

Just a better translation (and script kinda) will fix the game tremendously in my eyes.

RE: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE - Caspar - 06-21-2015

I've heard a lot of people say Cloud was a socially-isolated dork who wanted to be special, and got over it, and Sephiroth had the same problem (due to being raised like a weapon) who felt he was special and never got over it, and I think that's a pretty apt comparison.

It's supposed to be amusing because the fictionalized Zack was nothing near as perfect as Cloud imagines him to be, just a really normal, friendly guy, so he gradually seems to realize he's imitating someone who never existed in the first place, and it's okay for him to be himself. The spinoffs, to me, were like a self-fulfilling prophesy, where Cloud became the angstlord his detractors said he was, sort of ruining the development he went through.

I always felt Luca made an impression because unlike Kefka, he did not have godlike power to make him scary. He was a very real, personal madman who was just an obsessed human who trained to the point of physical human limits. Admittedly, what hurts Luca most is the nature of his backstory is only alluded to indirectly in the game, but I was able to infer it from his talks with Agares and Jilia. The weird way he tried to establish a kind of "friendship" with your traitorous friend and got indirectly refused really amused me because it suggested a lot about how far he'd fallen. I think the way he went out said a lot about his character. He definitely was straightforward, but in no way as one-dimensional as Kefka. The only thing that was a bit unbelievable was how many people willingly followed him despite him being obviously insane, but then again, people followed Hitler and Pol Pot... (And eventually it did catch up with him, just later than what would realistically have happened I think.)

RE: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE - Meena - 06-21-2015

(06-21-2015, 01:55 PM)Caspar Wrote: I've heard a lot of people say Cloud was a socially-isolated dork who wanted to be special, and got over it, and Sephiroth had the same problem (due to being raised like a weapon) who felt he was special and never got over it, and I think that's a pretty apt comparison.
Well no, Cloud throughout the whole game is having an identity crisis. He thinks he is someone else, he thinks he is a man named Zack (but with his own name). He is a little confused on the whole thing due to the maco poisoning.

Crisis Core explains a lot of his

RE: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE - Griffith! - 06-22-2015

(06-21-2015, 10:56 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: The problem is that the translation didn't get that across - It tried way too hard to be serious, when if he was a dork, it should have shown that more.

Just a better translation (and script kinda) will fix the game tremendously in my eyes.

Naw, it's far more likely we'll get more of compilation Cloud, rather than the original direction of the character. There will be brooding and expressionlessness. All of his dorkiness will be lost in time.

(06-21-2015, 07:05 PM)Meena Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 01:55 PM)Caspar Wrote: I've heard a lot of people say Cloud was a socially-isolated dork who wanted to be special, and got over it, and Sephiroth had the same problem (due to being raised like a weapon) who felt he was special and never got over it, and I think that's a pretty apt comparison.
Well no, Cloud throughout the whole game is having an identity crisis. He thinks he is someone else, he thinks he is a man named Zack (but with his own name). He is a little confused on the whole thing due to the maco poisoning.

Crisis Core explains a lot of his

Sort of but not? I mean, yeah, it was an identity crisis, and he did totally take most of his image of a Soldier from Zack and fill himself into Zack's role in the events of the story, but he didn't actually think he was Zack. He'd forgotten all about Zack. His memories of childhood were pretty complete, it was just everything about his return to Nibelheim he'd skewed in his head.

His personality was a mix of his own and Zack's and his own (mostly incorrect) idea of how an elite Soldier would act. But he didn't actually think he was Zack. he just thought he did the things Zack did in Nibelheim.