Hydaelyn Role-Players
Temple Knights - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Temple Knights (/showthread.php?tid=12115)

Temple Knights - Griffith! - 06-18-2015

So I know that I, personally, won't be able to even access Ishgard until the end of the month at the very earliest, but I was thinking about starting up an FC built around being Temple Knights - specifically, those charged with the duty of protecting holy sites like temples or the Guardian Diety stones scattered around the world, or at least those that are just generally not in Ishgard.

So, I figure the Ishgardian Temple Knights might look down on the group for not being Ishgardian - we would be taking all comers, after all, not just Elezen and Hyur. So right off the bat, we're the Temple Knight version of B(ad) Company - all misfits and undesirables.

I was thinking about ranks and organisation, and I know we'd have a commander, which would be *ahem*, me. But beyond that, what should the organisational breakdown of such a group be? Military? Religious?

I was also thinking about special posts outside the main structure - we'd have a Company Inquisitor, for instance. Probably a priest. What are those called? Chaplains?

So does this sound like something anyone'd be interested in? Because my fall-back was basically just RPing a younger version of Cidolfus Orlandeau from FFT (which, let's be honest, I may end up doing anyway.)

RE: Temple Knights - Virella - 06-18-2015

In my honest opinion, if you go for Temple Knights, go for full blown-out Ishgardian to the core Temple Knights. Else make something else, but just ehm, do not call them Temple Knight leave that, unless lore dedicates different, to the Ishgardians for now! :P

RE: Temple Knights - Griffith! - 06-18-2015

I'm not sure what you're saying. Only recruit Elezen and Hyurs? I mean, the point is already to be a branch of the Ishgardian temple knights - specifically, the branch that defends holy sites outside of Ishgard. The only way to be any more Ishgardian is to limit our recruitment practices to those two races and never leave the city walls except to kill a dragon.

EDIT: Also, I was thinking about going with Ark Knights, because, first, it's another special character class from FFT, like Temple Knight, and second my name is Arkwright.

RE: Temple Knights - Virella - 06-19-2015

(06-18-2015, 07:09 PM)Griffith! Wrote: I'm not sure what you're saying. Only recruit Elezen and Hyurs? I mean, the point is already to be a branch of the Ishgardian temple knights - specifically, the branch that defends holy sites outside of Ishgard. The only way to be any more Ishgardian is to limit our recruitment practices to those two races and never leave the city walls except to kill a dragon.

EDIT: Also, I was thinking about going with Ark Knights, because, first, it's another special character class from FFT, like Temple Knight, and second my name is Arkwright.
Going to be very blunt, at this point, unless we get proven wrong in a few hours I do not think there is such a thing as non-Ishgardian Temple Knights, unless you wish to have heresy claims and a beheading, hanging or a trip down withdrop following next. I really, really do not think Ishgardians are happy to let outsiders in their sacred order at this point. So ehm. Yeah.

Ishgardians do leave the city. Read into the lore and you will see they have business with the other cities. They simply do not go on holidays, fun days off ect. Everything they do has to be in the name of the Holy War.

RE: Temple Knights - Griffith! - 06-19-2015

(06-19-2015, 12:01 AM)Virella Douront Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 07:09 PM)Griffith! Wrote: I'm not sure what you're saying. Only recruit Elezen and Hyurs? I mean, the point is already to be a branch of the Ishgardian temple knights - specifically, the branch that defends holy sites outside of Ishgard. The only way to be any more Ishgardian is to limit our recruitment practices to those two races and never leave the city walls except to kill a dragon.

Going to be very blunt, at this point, unless we get proven wrong in a few hours I do not think there is such a thing as non-Ishgardian Temple Knights, unless you wish to have heresy claims and a beheading, hanging or a trip down withdrop following next. I really, really do not think Ishgardians are happy to let outsiders in their sacred order at this point. So ehm. Yeah.

Ishgardians do leave the city. Read into the lore and you will see they have business with the other cities. They simply do not go on holidays, fun days off ect. Everything they do has to be in the name of the Holy War.

So by your own admission it is possible there could be Ishgardians outside the city of Ishgard. I don't see how that precludes Temple Knights who don't live in Ishgard. They leave the city, ergo, there are some who are not in the city. My character, Lord-Commander of the Ark Knights, is a Temple Knight assigned to a distasteful duty away from the city as a punishment for some sin or infraction. He recruits from a pool of non-Ishgardian soldiers or disgraced Ishgardian Knights to keep his forces up, because it's not like the church is just going to send him perfectly good troops while a war is on.

I don't understand the objection anyway. If there is an orthodoxy, there is also an unorthodoxy. Otherwise, why bother stipulating that the church is orthodox? It implies there is more than one faction within the church. So why can't there be more than one faction of Temple Knight?

And I'm not worried about anyone crying heresy. Why should they? Because not every member of my division is Ishgardian? Why would they care? We're not even in Ishgard. I should think they'd be pleased, that we can defend non-Ishgardian holy sites without using Ishgardian soldiers.

And there are twelve gods. Twelve of them. They can't all have the same tenets in their faith, or why bother having twelve gods? So maybe the followers of Halone, the Fury don't agree with the recruitment practices of my division. But maybe Oschon, the Wanderer is all about it.

But even after saying all that, I don't even mind being declared a heretic. In fact, I'm largely okay with the motivational dissonance there. "Kill him, he's a heretic!" "Why? Does he worship the Primals?" "No, he does our job for us!" "..."

TL;DR - I get it, you don't want anyone using the name of a canon organisation without being completely within the bounds of said canon. That's why I proposed the change from Temple to Ark Knight.

P.S. I am now thinking of calling them - in addition to calling them Ark Knights - the Order of the Southern Sky (again as an homage to my favorite Final Fantasy, FFT.)

RE: Temple Knights - Boo the Hamster - 06-19-2015

(06-19-2015, 01:00 AM)Griffith! Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 12:01 AM)Virella Douront Wrote:

So by your own admission it is possible there could be Ishgardians outside the city of Ishgard. I don't see how that precludes Temple Knights who don't live in Ishgard. They leave the city, ergo, there are some who are not in the city. My character, Lord-Commander of the Ark Knights, is a Temple Knight assigned to a distasteful duty away from the city as a punishment for some sin or infraction. He recruits from a pool of non-Ishgardian soldiers or disgraced Ishgardian Knights to keep his forces up, because it's not like the church is just going to send him perfectly good troops while a war is on.

I don't understand the objection anyway. If there is an orthodoxy, there is also an unorthodoxy. Otherwise, why bother stipulating that the church is orthodox? It implies there is more than one faction within the church. So why can't there be more than one faction of Temple Knight?

And I'm not worried about anyone crying heresy. Why should they? Because not every member of my division is Ishgardian? Why would they care? We're not even in Ishgard. I should think they'd be pleased, that we can defend non-Ishgardian holy sites without using Ishgardian soldiers.

And there are twelve gods. Twelve of them. They can't all have the same tenets in their faith, or why bother having twelve gods? So maybe the followers of Halone, the Fury don't agree with the recruitment practices of my division. But maybe Oschon, the Wanderer is all about it.

But even after saying all that, I don't even mind being declared a heretic. In fact, I'm largely okay with the motivational dissonance there. "Kill him, he's a heretic!" "Why? Does he worship the Primals?" "No, he does our job for us!" "..."

TL;DR - I get it, you don't want anyone using the name of a canon organisation without being completely within the bounds of said canon. That's why I proposed the change from Temple to Ark Knight.

P.S. I am now thinking of calling them - in addition to calling them Ark Knights - the Order of the Southern Sky (again as an homage to my favorite Final Fantasy, FFT.)
The issue I am trying to get here is that canonically, if you are an Ishgardian and serve the See, your butt better be in Ishgard /right now/.  There is a war that is about to spiral out of control in the city and the lands west of Ishgard and what are you doing guarding..whatever it is you're guarding?  Do you not want to defend your home?  Do you want to sacrifice your family to invaders that are clearly able to enter when they wish?  The main defense is breached, what are you doing wasting manpower that is not in the main city?  These are questions you will have to experience and answer, and most of them are going to be seen with rather violent responses from those dedicated to the city.

At best, you'd be called a loon by those who do serve Ishgard.  At worst, you would most definitely be called a heretic.  There is logic and reason in these thoughts and accusations, even if your path is what it is.  Though the orthodoxy/unorthodoxy thing is logical, we have but a few hours to tell if that is actually true or not.  As far as anyone knows, this world is /not/ a free willing one that lets you do what it wishes.  Especially not Ishgard.  It is their way or the guillotine up there as far as anyone is aware. I'll note that there are very few exceptions to this rule, but they have earned it through merits time and time again.

If it is proven wrong, this idea is put up to a firing squad.  It is something you need to keep in mind.

RE: Temple Knights - Griffith! - 06-19-2015

I hear you. But I am going back to Ishgard. The game actually leads you right there. You can't actually not go to Ishgard if you want to advance in the game. Ishgard is just, like, the destination now.
But to further address the issue - nobody said my character didn't want to be in Ishgard, defending his home. He was sent away from Ishgard. For whatever reason. So now, they're calling him back. His division of misfits is important now, because suddenly the city is desperate. Suddenly, shit got real. It's been colder since the Calamity, the enemy is on the door step. Foreign Adventurers are coming in to help defend the city. It's endgame. So whatever we did that made us exiles til now doesn't matter. The Ark Knights are going home. Cue fan fare.

Or that was the plan anyway. We are a group stationed away from the Holy See, outcasts and criminals and disgraces, returning to the city with everyone else.

RE: Temple Knights - V'aleera - 06-19-2015

An independent pan-national group of religious militants who seek to protect holy sites throughout Eorzea sounds fairly reasonable. Tying this group to Ishgard specifically seems rather pointlessly limiting. That's not to say people of Ishgardian origin could not or would not participate, simply that the Holy See has proven to be an extremely monolithic entity with an exacting sense of order among its classes and organizations.

RE: Temple Knights - Boo the Hamster - 06-19-2015

Oh, well that makes more sense. Still, I'm a bit hesitant on saying that separating from the main religion is entirely the best idea. I mean, sure, the Twelve are acknowledged, though Halone better be primary worship if that makes sense.