Hydaelyn Role-Players
New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! (/showthread.php?tid=12257)

New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Ashley Summers - 06-24-2015

Hello everybody, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

I'm a veteran MMO roleplayer who is looking for some advice on my character's backstory. This is my first Final Fantasy game, though I have some experience with the franchise second-hand via friends. I'm trying to piece together the lore, but I would like some advice for a good foundation. I need help deciding where my character comes from and where she might be going.

Here is a basic list of things I want my character to be:
  1. Midland Hyur.
  2. Originates from a small village or town.
Though I prefer to learn about the world of FFXIV, its customs, and its people first-hand from roleplay interaction, I understand there are certain things my character should know simply by being a denizen of Eorzea. Here are some things I need help with:
  1. What historical events should my character be aware of?
  2. What cultures and traditions are considered common knowledge (including knowledge of cultures and traditions of other, non-hyur races)?
  3. From what region could my character originate from (small village/town)?
Thank you very much for any help you can provide to get me started in the roleplay community!

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Aya - 06-24-2015

You picked a background that can work, literally, anywhere in Eorzea!  So you have free reign to decide where she's from, what city-state region, and really the character of her home and upbringing!  There are advantages to playing something somewhat generic :-]

In terms of what to be aware of.. its like.. we don't really want to spoiler the MSQ do we?  The 1.0 storyline is something to be familiar with: the Garlean Empire invaded, literally dropping a moon on Eorzea. When it crashed there was massive destruction everywhere, and aether-infused crystals have wreaked havoc with Eorzea.  Coerthas fell into a deep winter that has not passed (more than five years on), Thanalan became wetter, beastmen roam (though I guess they always did!). 

There have been multiple primal summonings in Eorzea since then, there's a continued presence of Garleans, and Eorzea has united (with friction) in an Eorzean Alliance that mostly features the three Grand Companies: Limsa Lominsa's Maelstrom, Gridania's Twin Adders, and Ul'dah's Immortal Flames.

And.. in terms of cultures, those of all the major races. There's good information on the wiki about all of them. I don't think there are any non-playable races you really have to worry about in that regard (goblins and sylphs, maybe, but the former are mostly comic relief, and the latter are really restricted to the Deep Shroud).

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Ashley Summers - 06-24-2015

That is exactly the reason why I chose a generic background: more wiggle room. Big Grin

Though I've done some of the main storyline (only level 17), I did start in Ul'dah. As an addendum to my questions:
  • Why are there refugees in Ul'dah?
  • Where are most of the Ul'dah refugees from?

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-24-2015

Hello and welcome!

As Aya said, there's a LOT of flexibility for origin. Do you like the desert? How about forests? Grassy/hilly islands with pirates?

Here's some things a person might know, or be partially aware of.
  • 5 years (probably a couple more as of 3.0) ago, the Garleans tried to crash a moon into Eorzea to destroy it. This was known as the Calamity, and scholars around the land cite that it has disrupted much of the aether, ie the life force of all living things. Scars of the battle are still seen in the land.
  • The Garlean Empire is a militaristic country that seeks to unite all nations under their leadership. When talks fail, they turn to more...harsh methods.
  • The North-Eastern city of Ala Mhigo fell about 20 years ago. Many of the people who escaped have become refugees.
  • 25 years ago, the Garleans had attacked Eorzea. This led to the death of Midgardsommr and the aetherial unbalance in Silvertear Lake, which has caused a disruption of aether across the land.
  • The city of Ul'dah is ruled by two parties: the Syndicate and the Sultana. The Syndicate is composed of Monetarists, the 6 richest being the Syndicate members. The Sultana (or Sultan) is a royal leader. Currently, the Sultana is Nanamo Ul Namo, of the Ul line.
  • Gridania is a forest city in the Black Shroud (also known as the Twelveswood). They are allowed  to live there due to a deal between the Elementals (basically really powerful spirits of nature).
  • The city of Limsa Lominsa is home to many pirates and traders, recently led by the new Admiral, Merlwyb.
  • After the Battle of Silvertear Lake, Primals, of the gods of the various "beast tribes" were able to be summoned. Primals rip aether from the land to sustain their physical manifestations. They also have the ability to temper (aka touch, drown, etc) followers into worshipping them. Prayer to a primal is an alternate method of obtaining aether.
You can find a timeline (unsure how updated it is) here.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61230-An-Eorzean-Timeline.

If there's anything specific you'd want to know about, ask away, and we can try to help out!

--

edit: To answer above, I lightly touched on this. A lot of the Ala Mhigan refugees tried to move to Ul'dah, due to the city's belief that money can attain social status. While a few Ala Mhigan people were able to do this, many Uldahns also look at the refugees as outsiders, refusing to give them jobs or decent pay.

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Alderique - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 01:33 PM)Ashley Summers Wrote:

I think many people are attracted there because the city-state is known for its wealth and prosperity.

I forget a lot of details myself and tend to frequent wikis I might find. I would recommend reading as much quest material as possible, even the sidequests, because they tend to throw in snippets of lore, culture, history, etc.

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Aya - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 01:33 PM)Ashley Summers Wrote: That is exactly the reason why I chose a generic background: more wiggle room. Big Grin

Though I've done some of the main storyline (only level 17), I did start in Ul'dah. As an addendum to my questions:
They are Highlander Hyur from Ala Mhigo (Ala Mhigo was the city-state capital of Tyr Abania, just like Ul'dah is to Thanalan).  It was a militant and militarily powerful state closest to the Garlean border, and was overrun about 20 years ago.  Refugees flooded south west, most trying to enter Ul'dah with varied results (the General of the Immortal Flames, and a member of the Syndicate, Rauhban, is a Highlander refugee who has done very well for himself). 

They're also present in Gridania and Limsa Lominsa as well.

There's a large number of RPers who play Highlander refugees as well (Aya included!)

Edit: Just to mention, not all Ala Mhigans were Hyur, just most. Sounssy's character (one of our resident lore masters) is a Miqo'te Ala Mhigan refugee who became a Limsan pirate! (Maelstrom at least!)

(06-24-2015, 01:39 PM)tortles Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 01:33 PM)Ashley Summers Wrote:

I think many people are attracted there because the city-state is known for its wealth and prosperity.

I forget a lot of details myself and tend to frequent wikis I might find. I would recommend reading as much quest material as possible, even the sidequests, because they tend to throw in snippets of lore, culture, history, etc.
Ul'dah is literally the only place in Eorzea where a refugee who arrives with nothing, can become a high standing member of society. Its the most upwardly mobile, most prosperous, and most open society in Eorzea (by far).

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Ashley Summers - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 01:41 PM)Aya Wrote: Ul'dah is literally the only place in Eorzea where a refugee who arrives with nothing, can become a high standing member of society. Its the most upwardly mobile, most prosperous, and most open society in Eorzea (by far).

This sounds like an excellent reason for my character to come to Ul'dah, not necessarily as a refugee but as a new start to a boring life.

All of this feedback is greatly appreciated and really helped direct my attention on the various wikis. Thank you!

(06-24-2015, 01:52 PM)Ashley Summers Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 01:41 PM)Aya Wrote: Ul'dah is literally the only place in Eorzea where a refugee who arrives with nothing, can become a high standing member of society. Its the most upwardly mobile, most prosperous, and most open society in Eorzea (by far).

This sounds like an excellent reason for my character to come to Ul'dah, not necessarily as a refugee but as a new start to a boring life.

All of this feedback is greatly appreciated and really helped direct my attention on the various wikis. Thank you!
That's what Aya did.. after a stint in Gridania! (before getting chased out for unpaid debts! haha)

Its my pleasure! :-]

RE: New FFIXIV Roleplayer: Need Help with Lore and Backstory! - Thorgar - 06-24-2015

I have always felt that as long as you stay Lore plausible have fun making a character you can be passionate about.  Key thing is to have fun, and also welcome to the RPC from one new person to another Big Grin