Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread (/showthread.php?tid=12299)

Pages: 1 2

The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Edgar - 06-26-2015

In 1977, Anita Bryant, former spokeswoman for the Florida Citrus Commission began her "Save Our Children" campaign, a movement based on protecting children from the alleged pedophiliac tendencies of LGBTs by repealing local ordinance in Dade County that protected citizens from discrimination based on sexual orientation.
Anita was just one of many people who believed Homosexuality to be a sin, a choice taken by human beings for the sole purpose of corrupting the sanctity of marriage and harming innocent children and animals under a facade of love. 

So, why do I focus on Anita when there are so many other examples of those opposed to Gay Marriage?

Because she is the mold for those opposed. An old, bitter lady who grew up in Conservative right-wing America, holding onto values designed to protect us from the unknown in an era where anyone who wasn't White, male and God-Fearing effectively had no speaking power.

This. This old, bitter lady and those like her, is what we, the LGBT community, have been fighting against for centuries. It looks silly, doesn't it? How unintimidating could someone possibly be? And yet, she, and others like her, have been keeping people like me under their thumb, scared stiff of communities of God-Fearing, no, difference-fearing humans.

And then someone got up, said "No more", and pied her in the fucking face. On tv, no less.

[Image: Anita_Bryant_Pie_October_14_1977.jpg]

The ultimate "shut the fuck up" from a community that abhorred violence but felt the need to lash out in some way against these absurd campaigns. 

38 years later, on June 26, 2015, the US Supreme Court would rule bans on Gay Marriage unconstitutional. Gay Conversion Therapy, in the same stroke, was ruled consumer fraud, simply because it did not work.

Yet, still, the prejudice remains. The old men and women hang on to their bibles and preach the end of days because a man loves a man and somehow this is wrong. The Transgender community faces cries of pedophilia for wanting to use the women's bathroom. Stupidity continues to pervade the country.

But in spite of this cancer, I look back to that fateful day in 1977...And I know everything will be alright.

Why? Because coconut creme pies exist.

[Image: Coconut-Cream-Pie-1-800.jpg]

But enough of the history lessons. Let's celebrate another monumental decision in the US' history! Good on ya, Americans! Canada is proud.

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - K'hatos - 06-26-2015

I believe it was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who said that he arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward cream pies.

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Alderique - 06-26-2015

[Image: happy-dance-gif.gif]

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Edgar - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 06:34 PM)K Wrote: I believe it was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who said that he arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward cream pies.

The creme pie heard 'round the world.

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Meena - 06-26-2015

New Zealand is proud too!

Thumbsup

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Hunfrid - 06-26-2015

The black lady from The Help should've offered her a "chocolate" pie to eat.Don't waste good food!

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Aysun - 06-26-2015

I have felt like partying all damn day!

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Cailean Lockwood - 06-26-2015

Yaaaaaaay! Big Grin

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Break - 06-26-2015

[Image: tumblr_mi8fvu8F2s1qca478o1_500.gif]

Just need a husband now...

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Dogberry - 06-26-2015

Amor vincit omnia!

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Wymsical - 06-26-2015

I feel like this is relevant to the predicament some people have now found themselves in...

[youtube]Jitocz4kB3k[/youtube]

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Enla - 06-26-2015

Today was such an awesome day! The fight is long from over and you can bet that people opposed to marriage equality are going to fight tooth and nail to limit the freedoms of gay couples even though the constitutional amendment essentially makes it a loosing battle. However for today I think most of us can sit back and relax that this little blight upon our society is at least partially dealt with.

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Arter Wood - 06-27-2015

[youtube]sipTtQ_5q8k[/youtube]

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Steel Wolf - 06-27-2015

Here in New York state, this sort of thinking was already a welcome thing, but I still worried about what would happen to myself and my husband should our lives require us to move somewhere else. Especially should our lives require us to move southbound. To quote some of the denser conservatives, "I'd rather move to Canada".

Yesterday's decision was probably the most reaffirming and relieving thing out there. I couldn't be happier.

Still, this is not the end. There are too many laws that can still be applied to allow the LGBT community to be discriminated against, and some states are scrambling to find ways to circumvent the law of the land. Transgender people are still fighting an uphill battle of both legal bullshit as well as perceptual idiocy...but that won't stop us from celebrating, even if for a moment.

It's a huge leap forward, but with plenty more hurdles to clear yet.

RE: The Gay Marriage Celebratory Thread - Edgar - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 12:36 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Here in New York state, this sort of thinking was already a welcome thing, but I still worried about what would happen to myself and my husband should our lives require us to move somewhere else.  Especially should our lives require us to move southbound.  To quote some of the denser conservatives, "I'd rather move to Canada".

Yesterday's decision was probably the most reaffirming and relieving thing out there.  I couldn't be happier.

Still, this is not the end.  There are too many laws that can still be applied to allow the LGBT community to be discriminated against, and some states are scrambling to find ways to circumvent the law of the land.  Transgender people are still fighting an uphill battle of both legal bullshit as well as perceptual idiocy...but that won't stop us from celebrating, even if for a moment.

It's a huge leap forward, but with plenty more hurdles to clear yet.

I'm not pretending the fight just suddenly ended; it did't, but, one tremendous obstacle has been cleared.

Let's treat it like the Moon landing: It can only get more awesome from here.