Hydaelyn Role-Players
I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? (/showthread.php?tid=12345)

I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Bazzar Nicklebottoms - 06-30-2015

Hey guys! I just started playing FFXIV 5 days ago and came across this forum while reading about Balmung. I'm completely new to roleplaying but I love the concept and really want to get into it. But am I too new at the game to start? I know very little about the lore but I'm willing to read into Wikis if needed. Also, Is it bad or frowned upon to roleplay as the opposite gender? That's probably a commonly asked question but, as I said, I'm really new to roleplay. Thanks for having such a positive and nice RP community here!.

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - T'caska Khevo - 06-30-2015

Its never too early to start RPing in this game. What server are you on? If its Balmung then kudos for being able to make the character, our server has been hard to get into lately.

When it comes to knowing lore I would suggest playing through a lot of the Main Story Quest (MSQ) and your class quests to get an idea of how Eorzea works. Most people are fine with a little lore bending but you just make sure you look out for breaking points, as with any RP setting. 9 times out of 10, its whether or not you can play your character as believable rather than having a believable back-story.

Don't worry about being new, jumping into the fray is a great way to learn and improve. And don't worry about playing the opposite gender as the general consensus seems to be that "character matters, player gender doesn't". Having said that though, if you are an 89 year old woman, RPing as a 22 year old jersey shore type guy may not be easy for you. Play to your strengths and RP what you like. Thats what I do.

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-30-2015

Yes, you are too soon.

Sorry, there arent any RP spots open.

Just kiddimnngggg. Welcome aboard! I recommend the best way to start is just walking up to people in public RP places and chat with them. To me its much easier than trying to read about it. Learn through experience!

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Bazzar Nicklebottoms - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 11:50 AM)T Wrote: Its never too early to start RPing in this game. What server are you on? If its Balmung then kudos for being able to make the character, our server has been hard to get into lately.

When it comes to knowing lore I would suggest playing through a lot of the Main Story Quest (MSQ) and your class quests to get an idea of how Eorzea works. Most people are fine with a little lore bending but you just make sure you look out for breaking points, as with any RP setting. 9 times out of 10, its whether or not you can play your character as believable rather than having a believable back-story.

Don't worry about being new, jumping into the fray is a great way to learn and improve. And don't worry about playing the opposite gender as the general consensus seems to be that "character matters, player gender doesn't". Having said that though, if you are an 89 year old woman, RPing as a 22 year old jersey shore type guy may not be easy for you. Play to your strengths and RP what you like. Thats what I do.
Is this how you reply? >.< 

Thanks for the Input! I have a couple characters on Malboro and I'm about to (try to) make one in Balmung. Do you have any idea how long the main story quests usually take to get through them?

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - RiniKett - 06-30-2015

A while, but it's also something that is enjoyable to experience. It's like a Final Fantasy, but with an MMO on the back side!

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 12:17 PM)Bazzar Nicklebottoms Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 11:50 AM)T Wrote: Its never too early to start RPing in this game. What server are you on? If its Balmung then kudos for being able to make the character, our server has been hard to get into lately.

Thanks for the Input! I have a couple characters on Malboro and I'm about to (try to) make one in Balmung. Do you have any idea how long the main story quests usually take to get through them?

To be warned it's very hard to get a character on Balmung, the server is almost always closed for creation. The only two ways are to do it when no one is on (3am or Post Maintenance) or to transfer a character from another server.

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Bazzar Nicklebottoms - 06-30-2015

(06-30-2015, 12:26 PM)RiniKett Wrote: A while, but it's also something that is enjoyable to experience. It's like a Final Fantasy, but with an MMO on the back side!

I'm definitely enjoying the story so far. With most MMOs I tend to get bored of the story as it drags on but this one is so much better so far.

(06-30-2015, 12:31 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 12:17 PM)Bazzar Nicklebottoms Wrote:

To be warned it's very hard to get a character on Balmung, the server is almost always closed for creation. The only two ways are to do it when no one is on (3am or Post Maintenance) or to transfer a character from another server.

I'll try making one soon but if it doesn't work I have no problem staying up really late to make it.

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Zarrae - 06-30-2015

The husband and I have not been able to make new characters on Balmung since Heavensward came online... the only new character I made (besides my original, Zarrae, who was created on June 16th) had to be transferred to Balmung =/

(06-30-2015, 12:40 PM)Zarrae Wrote: The husband and I have not been able to make new characters on Balmung since Heavensward came online... the only new character I made (besides my original, Zarrae, who was created on June 16th) had to be transferred to Balmung =/

That's disconcerting. Still I'll hope for the best. At least this will give me time to get through the Main Story Quests.

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Nebbs - 06-30-2015

Always glad to see folks get into Role Playing.

A good reference is [The Role-Play Handbook] a great resource.

RE: I'm new to FFXIV and RP. Is it too soon? - Faye - 06-30-2015

Hello there, welcome! Smile It's never too soon to start! I'd say just begin whenever you're comfortable and confident you really have a feel for your character and the world of XIV. As for playing a character of the opposite gender, it's actually pretty common and generally accepted. My only advice would be play a character you're sure you can relate to and understand, and who will feel believable to others.