Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to FFXIV but not to RP! (/showthread.php?tid=12448)

New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Thelyssa - 07-06-2015

Hello Everyone!

I started playing MMORPGs in the summer of 2012 with WoW, and stayed there until the release of SWTOR, which I played until early 2013. I started to RP back on WoW in the summer of 2013, and have been in love with the activity ever since. However, I've never really had the time or commitment to any super long character arcs, but I look forward to changing that soon. I came to FFXIV a few days ago, with the state of WoW being as it is.

As for my IRL interests, I'm a rising 11th grader with a passion for European (Notably medieval) history, and also a love for all things map related.

I'm torn between two routes for this character: Either a Garlean (Spelling?), or a cartographer. The cartographer route is something I have done a few times before, but it is something I know how to RP. On the other hand, I'm very much drawn to the Garlean Empire as I've always enjoyed that type of faction. Whichever path I eventually settle on, I look forward to meeting what I've heard is a wonderful community. 

Edit: I forgot to say, but I'm on Balmung

Big Grin

RE: New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Surilian - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 01:09 PM)Thelyssa Wrote: Hello Everyone!

I started playing MMORPGs in the summer of 2012 with WoW, and stayed there until the release of SWTOR, which I played until early 2013. I started to RP back on WoW in the summer of 2013, and have been in love with the activity ever since. However, I've never really had the time or commitment to any super long character arcs, but I look forward to changing that soon. I came to FFXIV a few days ago, with the state of WoW being as it is.

As for my IRL interests, I'm a rising 11th grader with a passion for European (Notably medieval) history, and also a love for all things map related.

I'm torn between two routes for this character: Either a Garlean (Spelling?), or a cartographer. The cartographer route is something I have done a few times before, but it is something I know how to RP. On the other hand, I'm very much drawn to the Garlean Empire as I've always enjoyed that type of faction. Whichever path I eventually settle on, I look forward to meeting what I've heard is a wonderful community. 

Big Grin
 WELCOME!!!!! .....word of advice...Don't prance into a tavern and go.."I'm GARLEAN!" Either way Balmung is full of rp and the community is a amazing mix of goods and bads! BUT in the end its usually pretty good and very passionate folks from every walk of life. Usually never boring. But that is my opinion *cough*Tongue

RE: New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Thelyssa - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 01:13 PM)Surilian Wrote:

Big Grin
 WELCOME!!!!! .....word of advice...Don't prance into a tavern and go.."I'm GARLEAN!" Either way Balmung is full of rp and the community is a amazing mix of goods and bads! BUT in the end its usually pretty good and very passionate folks from every walk of life. Usually never boring. But that is my opinion *cough*Tongue
Haha, I wasn't planning on it. But it was one of my concerns about RPing as a Garlean: Where would I find RP if I can't go to taverns without someone catching on that I am Garlean? Would my character even willingly go undercover just to get a drink? I'll have to put some thought into this!

Also, are there any good resources on the Lore that I could look at? I have the gist of it from some site, but I'd love to know if there is something like WoWpedia for FFXIV (A wiki that has not only game information, but tons of lore as well).

RE: New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Z'leilan - 07-06-2015

Hello, You! And welcome! Smile

(07-06-2015, 01:13 PM)Surilian Wrote:

Big Grin
 LOL hmm been gone for a bit ..BUT my old toons were villains (not garlean but supported them..and everyone else really..and maybe I might make this guy neutral..probably)...I found simply not talking about it unless the other player slipped claiming they were interested. There are so many takes you can take on it. You can look into joining neutral or villain FCS. As for lore?...ah...I say search these forums....maybe others have ideas?  ..I did find this --> http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?pid=58920

RE: New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-06-2015

Possible Garlean? I know a few of those! (And play a pretty idiotic one as well).

Word of advice, prolly a bad idea to openly admit it, although Franz might argue otherwise. ...but the character is well....ummm.....street stupid. He seems to think that because he doesn't look Garlean, he can get away with playing innocent if someone accuses him. >_>

--

Lore-wise, the RPC and Official Square Enix forums have a lot of stuff, but none of it is particularly centralized. If there's specific stuff you're wondering about, we can try to help point out a couple threads here and there on it!

(07-06-2015, 01:24 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Possible Garlean? I know a few of those! (And play a pretty idiotic one as well).

Word of advice, prolly a bad idea to openly admit it, although Franz might argue otherwise. ...but the character is well....ummm.....street stupid. He seems to think that because he doesn't look Garlean, he can get away with playing innocent if someone accuses him. >_>

--

Lore-wise, the RPC and Official Square Enix forums have a lot of stuff, but none of it is particularly centralized. If there's specific stuff you're wondering about, we can try to help point out a couple threads here and there on it!

Thanks for the info.  So, to get me started with my character profile (Which I'm writing on the Wiki right now), I have a few questions:

1. How much do we know about the organization of the Garlean Military? I'm trying to figure out what rank Thel might be, she is a combat officer, not an NCO (non combat officer).''
  2. Is there a write up on the basic timeline of FFXIV that I could look for somewhere? Just something to get me started. 
  3. Finally, are there any linkshells / guilds out there? ( I was in a linkshell for a short time, but left thinking I couldn't be in more than one, so sorry to the owner of that fantastic Garlean LS, I'll be looking to rejoin soon. )

RE: New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Gegenji - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 01:34 PM)Thelyssa Wrote:
  1. How much do we know about the organization of the Garlean Military? I'm trying to figure out what rank Thel might be, she is a combat officer, not an NCO (non combat officer).''

Just as a heads-up, as former military, NCO stands for "Non-Commissioned Officer." Both can in be in combat, it's just the commissioned officer (your captains, colonels, generals, and the like) are "commissioned" by the person in charge (President, Emperor, what have you) to have command over the units. NCOs (your staff, tech, gunnery, master sergeants) are below the commissioned officers, but still have command over all those ranking below them.

The common NCO joke is that they "work for a living" compared to the officers. So, if you want someone who worked their way up into a position of military power, you might actually want to be an NCO. Food for thought. Blush

(07-06-2015, 01:37 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

Just as a heads-up, as former military, NCO stands for "Non-Commissioned Officer." Both can in be in combat, it's just the commissioned officer (your captains, colonels, generals, and the like) are "commissioned" by the person in charge (President, Emperor, what have you) to have command over the units. NCOs (your staff, tech, gunnery, master sergeants) are below the commissioned officers, but still have command over all those ranking below them.

The common NCO joke is that they "work for a living" compared to the officers. So, if you want someone who worked their way up into a position of military power, you might actually want to be an NCO. Food for thought. Blush
Derp, my bad. Sad

(07-06-2015, 01:24 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Possible Garlean? I know a few of those! (And play a pretty idiotic one as well).

--

Thanks for the info.  So, to get me started with my character profile (Which I'm writing on the Wiki right now), I have a few questions:

2. Is there a write up on the basic timeline of FFXIV that I could look for somewhere? Just something to get me started. 
  3. Finally, are there any linkshells / guilds out there? ( I was in a linkshell for a short time, but left thinking I couldn't be in more than one, so sorry to the owner of that fantastic Garlean LS, I'll be looking to rejoin soon. )

1.  Dunno that answer XD 
  2. This is before A realm reborn..I'm sure someone wrote what happend in RR somewhere..but here http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61230-An-Eorzean-Timeline.
  3. Linkshells/ guilds i'd look up in this menu bar...see linkshells? Click there then balmung..and read all the guilds...I'm debating to open my own or just join someone else but that would be your best bet...To get into RP I'd look at the calender too for events and see what interests you..then mingle ..(or stand around like I do for now XD! )) and sometimes some folks just approach you in game with LS invites ..but usually I search.

RE: New to FFXIV but not to RP! - Gegenji - 07-06-2015

No worries! I was just providing (hopefully) useful information. Blush

Here's some more, if you'd like - a thread on Garlean titles. It includes military rankings, which should be helpful!

OH YEA!!! and here 

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1821