Hydaelyn Role-Players
Age question. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Age question. (/showthread.php?tid=12462)

Age question. - Bazzar Nicklebottoms - 07-07-2015

Hey! I'm really worried about asking a bunch of stupid questions on the forum but here we go anyway!

I'm making my first RP character and I'm wondering how age works with different races, if any differently at all. I'm just really paranoid about messing something up with my first character so forgive my pointless newbie question >.<

RE: Age question. - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 02:49 AM)Bazzar Nicklebottoms Wrote: Hey! I'm really worried about asking a bunch of stupid questions on the forum but here we go anyway!

I'm making my first RP character and I'm wondering how age works with different races, if any differently at all. I'm just really paranoid about messing something up with my first character so forgive my pointless newbie question >.<

Every race ages roughly the same as real life humans do.

The only minor exception is Elezen, who live slightly longer, and have longer childhoods because of it. Think maybe 25% longer than average human lifespan.

RE: Age question. - Fox - 07-07-2015

Elezen are said to live up to 120. The other races at most 100.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10361&pid=152254#pid152254

RE: Age question. - Sounsyy - 07-07-2015

From the Las Vegas Lore Panel:

Quote:Q: What are the age scales of every race? How long do they live and how long does it take them to become an adult?

Fernehalwes: Okay, yeah I asked about this and I was told that age-scale wise the five races biologically they can live about- they have the same lifespan as we do here on earth. They can live one hundred, one hundred and twenty biologically. The thing is, here we have modern medicine, we have jobs that don't take us on to the battlefield, we have food in refrigerators not sitting in a barrel. And so we can live that long, whereas, in Eorzea its a much harsher realm. I mean you've got raptors roaming the jungle. "I need to go out and pick an ogre pumpkin!" "Oh sorry, daddy got eaten by a raptor as he was picking our dinner pumpkin so it looks like we're having nothing for dinner tonight." And so daddy dies of raptor and children die of starvation because they couldn't get the pumpkin.

On top of that you have wars and people are fighting Ishgard, I wouldn't expect most people would live longer than like thirty years. That's the thing, so you get an average lifespan that is a lot shorter, y'know in the forties, fifties. I mean there was the one quest about, back in 1.0... there was the Lalafell that was put in the Oubliette in Ul'dah, and he was in there praying and because he was this zen thing and he focused and he slowed his breathing and he lived for hundreds of years or whatever. Other than that people aren't going to live that long.

That said, Elezen actually do have a longer lifespan than the other four races. And this also appears in the- when they go from child to puberty to adulthood. So which is why you'll see in the- in 1.0 there was a bunch of Elezen children that appeared in some of the quests and they appear again in 2.0, and they're still children. And you think well it's been five years why are they still children? It's because again that childhood for Elezen can last much longer. And they end up living longer as well. Um, but for the most part it's pretty much just the same as us, but with more... fatality.

RE: Age question. - Momo - 07-26-2015

As per the BLM quests, we find that actually Lalafell are one of the longest living races in Eorzea currently if I remember correctly, so maybe the answer about Elezen was a little short-lived or jumping the gun on lore where it wasn't completely developed yet? 

Either way, something to think about since in the quests it doesn't seem like Lalafells living to 130-150 was all that uncommon, and it seems pretty clear from what we've seen, and taking character creation into account among all races, there is no "old age" look for Lalafells which suggests we probably just stop the normal aging process and maybe have some sort of internal issues with age?  Cute little old Lalafells unfortunately strikes me as something we really need...and for that matter, Lalafell children which would be really hard to even spot due to their tiny size >,<  Let's work on that SE!

RE: Age question. - Sounsyy - 07-26-2015

(07-26-2015, 12:02 PM)Momo Wrote: As per the BLM quests, we find that actually Lalafell are one of the longest living races in Eorzea currently I think, so maybe the answer about Elezen was a little short-lived or jumping the gun on lore where it wasn't completely developed yet?

Fernehalwes specifically addressed that Ququruka was an exception, not the rule.

By some combination of slowing his breathing, meditation, black magic, fasting, and reaching some spiritual "zen" Ququruka was able to extend his life well beyond what is normally capable by the Races of Man and was able to outlive a 100-year gaol sentence in the Oubliette in Ul'dah. However, he uses the last of his strength to free Barbatos and dies shortly thereafter.

RE: Age question. - Momo - 07-26-2015

(07-26-2015, 12:11 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 12:02 PM)Momo Wrote: As per the BLM quests, we find that actually Lalafell are one of the longest living races in Eorzea currently I think, so maybe the answer about Elezen was a little short-lived or jumping the gun on lore where it wasn't completely developed yet?

Fernehalwes specifically addressed that Ququruka was an exception, not the rule.

By some combination of slowing his breathing, meditation, black magic, fasting, and reaching some spiritual "zen" Ququruka was able to extend his life well beyond what is normally capable by the Races of Man and was able to outlive a 100-year gaol sentence in the Oubliette in Ul'dah. However, he uses the last of his strength to free Barbatos and dies shortly thereafter.

Makes me a bit curious as to whether this was always in place or they just changed things to fit with the 2.0 game?  Guess I never put as much faith in him since sometimes when he answers questions it almost seems like he is just trying to do exactly that after 1.0 was a failure and they needed to rebuild the world but use the base of it, particularly since he doesn't know the name of the Lala, nor does he accurately quote his age in the quest (nor is there any evidence that many of the NPC weren't just reused in a way, and no one thought to make them older even though 5 years had passed?).  I guess for now we will have to take his word on it!

RE: Age question. - D'aito Kuji - 07-29-2015

In my head canon, the Miqo'te of D'aito Kuji's tribe, live on average 40 years.  This is for all the reasons Sounsyy mentioned.  Her tribe is traditional having changed little in generations.  They are subsistent hunter-gatherers who have managed to survive in one of the most brutal areas of the Sagolii (conveniently located beyond the game map). But survival can be difficult.  One bad season, dryer than normal conditions, or a sickness brought from merchants could cause a lot of damage.

On top of all that, members of D'aito's tribe are violent towards outsiders and this limits trade for critical things like medicine, potions, and spells.

Add to all of this the instability of the Nuhn, and it's easy to see why 40 might be a grand old age, and an age that only the females tend to see (it would take an exceptionally strong Nuhn to remain in that position much beyond 40).

Anyway, that's the really not the question that was asked but I really like to take Lore and add real-life-ish pressures to a group of people.