Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Question for Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Question for Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=12494)

Pages: 1 2 3

A Question for Balmung - Chapter Serf - 07-08-2015

A lot of people's Status message Wrote:RPer! Walk-ups welcome!
Or something to that effect.

Yet, none of you ever walk up. You're all welcome to being walked up to, yet not to walking up? And I'm not just referring to myself in this instance. I see a lot of people always standing around, willing to be walked up to but not willing to walk up.

Why?? It completely boggles my mind... Dazed

RE: A Question for Balmung - Melkire - 07-08-2015

Took that off my search info after a while.

I find that "Walks-ups welcome" is shorthand for "I don't mind spontaneous RP, but I'd at least like to have a hook before I initiate, so I'm not likely to walk up to you myself right out of the blue."

Might be that's not been not others' experiences with it, but that's been my impression. It's certainly a major factor in whether I walk up to someone: I'm going to want a reason for my character to suddenly bug a complete stranger, just as I'd like a reason in real life before approaching the same.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Sriracha Quilt - 07-08-2015

I've seen those as well. My own "status" for a lack of better word coming to mind never reflects that. Part of it, I think is an almost subconscious reluctance for fear of being "rejected", or just doing nothing but small talk, all in character, of course. 

At least, that's my perspective on why I never approach people while IC.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Griffith! - 07-08-2015

It's in my comments, because I'm not adverse to walk-ups. I'm also not a big instigator, so I don't initiate a lot of walk-ups myself. That's not to say I never do, just that it's rarer. I'm not that outgoing a guy. I don't like bothering people.

So I put it there to show I'll RP back if someone walks up, not to indicate that I'll walk-up and start RPing. Pretty much just that.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Coatleque - 07-08-2015

In my case it's mostly because I have nothing to say.

I'm not an innately creative person so coming up with an ice breaker or a reason for a palace guard to suddenly walk up to a random stranger and start talking is difficult.

But I am very good at taking what someone else is doing and feeding it or interjecting.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Sigil.9054 - 07-08-2015

You're not that interesting, or I'm not paying that close attention.

Not you, the OP, specifically. I don't know you. I usually *do* walk up to people, and certainly don't mind walk ups myself. Usually, though, I have to think up a reason why my character would walk up to someone else. Unless there's something that stands out about them to pique my character's curiosity, chances are she WON'T bother someone. It's not even shyness, really. She's just content to keep to herself.

As for being walked up to, when I'm sitting by myself and not emoting or anything, I'm usually doing something else, and just leaving myself available. In those moments, I don't really care if anyone walks up or not.

If I want someone to take notice, I'll try "broadcasting". Sort of "role playing by myself" to indicate to others, "Yes, I'm here, and I'm available." It's a little disappointing when someone doesn't take advantage, but I'm a big girl. I'll survive.

RE: A Question for Balmung - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-08-2015

(07-08-2015, 06:04 PM)Coatleque Wrote: In my case it's mostly because I have nothing to say.

I'm not an innately creative person so coming up with an ice breaker or a reason for a palace guard to suddenly walk up to a random stranger and start talking is difficult.

But I am very good at taking what someone else is doing and feeding it or interjecting.

I think it's easiest to not be creative, and have a few canned lines you can ask most people.

Like hassling anyone armed to make sure they're not in the city to cause trouble, or asking people what their business is in the city.

RE: A Question for Balmung - FreelanceWizard - 07-08-2015

For me, it's a friendliness thing. (I think my search info on L'yhta is something along the lines of, "Adventuring mage, always LFRP! Come say hello!") I often wonder if a lot of people aren't sure if someone's an RPer, if they only do scenes that are already set up, and so on. So, I try to give key information in my search info -- character concept, that I'm always open to RP, and that you can just come up and say hi, even if you don't have a hook other than, "Hey, you look interesting." I think this is particularly important because I don't usually spend a lot of time idling in taverns, so I want people in the field to know that, yes, they can come up and say hello if they want.

L'yhta will sometimes walk up and strike up conversations with people, but she's often doing something. Unless something really stands out to her, she's just going to go about her business. Also, as Melkire points out, just like a real person, she needs a reason to engage. If there's no obvious reason, then we should probably come up with a hook -- whether it's bumping into each other (possibly literally), an interesting trinket, or so on.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Caspar - 07-08-2015

I do do this, so I guess in my case this is a moot point? Though, I removed walk up status from search info... Usually I walk up when I'm unoccupied and want to play with someone. These days I'm often very busy, so being approached is fine, but I can't really go out of my way seeking it. I am definitely of the "broadcast" sort as my character tends to generate bad vibes socially anyway.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Spethah - 07-08-2015

Mine says to /w first with good reason. I'm happy to do walk up RP, but sometimes people want to do something extra like make a new friend and PMing me about is a good thing. On the other hand I don't usually start walk up RP because my character doesn't do that without a valid reason (she's an ultra grump, please forgive her). 

I also tend to forget to check search info as well, so forgive me on that.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Kellach Woods - 07-08-2015

I can handle making up a context for any situation I happen to have Kell in, the problem is that in my experiences few people are receptive to him unless there's a common ground, which walk-ups don't necessarily provide.

RE: A Question for Balmung - -no longer matters- - 07-08-2015

My character wouldn't walk up to someone and start talking to them casually unless she had reason. She's usually searching the crowd for targets or contacts.

This really comes from not having a socially out going character on War Siren. My outgoing character who I don't play anymore Nico Pahrafel would walk up and talk your ear off like you're a long lost friend. But I just haven't felt like playing her.

RE: A Question for Balmung - WorstRPerEver - 07-08-2015

I have "Walkup friendly" in my search info. For me, a lot of my hesitation is due to shyness. Usually I'll have an emote readied, but I'm paralyzed by worry that I'll mess something up or something will happen and my prepared emote will wind up irrelevant.

By the time I gather up the courage to actually post anything, the person has usually already moved on. <.<

RE: A Question for Balmung - Verad - 07-08-2015

If I wrote "Walkups unwelcome" there'd be hell to pay.

RE: A Question for Balmung - Uther - 07-08-2015

Walk ups not welcome. If I don't know you already, I never want to know you.

No, in all honesty, I think it's a shyness thing for a lot of people. Running into someone's conversation is an awkward situation, even in a virtual world. Ever had someone do it to you in real life? More often than not you think to yourself "So, what, you've just been eavesdropping?" or "Who are you and why are you talking to us?"

In a virtual reality it's a bit more acceptable, of course, but the stigma is still there in the back of people's minds. Plus sometimes people just don't have an "in" for the conversation. A lot of times it turns into someone trying to ICly correct someone else, or one-up them in their own conversation and no one likes that.

I think that's why people say "walk-ups welcome" instead of "looking for walk-ups", in my mind "walk-ups welcome" translates to "I know this isn't the real world and I'm totally cool with you butting in on my conversation for the sake of RP" whereas "looking for walk-ups" means "I have something to say and I don't care who hears it."

I hope that makes sense, as I have a tendency to ramble on this forum. 

I do, however, think this community can get sort of cliquish at times (not intentionally exclusive, but it's just how things happen) and RPing in the housing districts and in the Quicksand so much is kind of killing off some walk-up opportunities, but that might be a discussion for another time/place.