Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dungeon Anxiety - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Dungeon Anxiety (/showthread.php?tid=12554)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Dungeon Anxiety - Griffith! - 07-12-2015

Anyone else just really dread the roulette queues? I don't know what it is - the idea of a bunch of strangers relying on my ability to keep them alive, maybe - but I absolutely hate running dungeons.

Sometimes you get a real friendly party, y'know? They're polite and nice and give you non-confrontational tips as you go. And then sometimes you get horrible parties full of assholes who just tell you how to do your job every time you lose enmity for half a second. And there is just no way of knowing which one it's going to be because you don't know these people, and it's not like there's an in-game "I think I'm better than you at everything" flag.

It's the pressure. I know it's a game, and there's not supposed to be that much pressure, and if it were just me, alone, there wouldn't be. But it's not. It's me and a bunch of people relying on me. I have to preform well, or it's not fun for anyone. It doesn't help that some people wait in queues for half an hour at a time (but not tanks, haha ha... ha).

And now I'm at the point in the game where people are starting to take their dungeons very seriously. The dungeons I'm starting on now are harder and people have thus far been less forgiving of mistakes. And it's just not cool when you have to pop an ativan in the middle of a dungeon run because you're starting to have a panic attack. It's rough, man.

Anyone else have similar feelings about dungeons, or am I the odd man out?

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Edda - 07-12-2015

I can't say I sympathize, but you're definitely not the odd man out. 3.0 still hasn't been out for very long, and everyone is still acclimating to level 60 content, whether they admit to it or not. Since you are a tank, it's important to remember that it really is not just you that is keeping everyone alive. If the healer or DPS aren't doing their job, then you'll all die anyway. Everyone has to perform, and everyone makes mistakes.

Naturally you'll run into assholes in duty finder, and if they start to rag on you just tell them to nut up and shut up. They'll get over it, and chances are you will not see ANY of these people ever again.

Really the best thing you can do is just do your best... If you screw up, apologize, but only once. If the pressure is really that much, ask your friends to run content with you until you're comfortable enough to subject yourself to solo roulette.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Asmodean - 07-12-2015

As a tank main, I know the feeling. It gets tiring seeing people trying to tell me how to do my job, when they barely know how their job works. When the group is nice or laid back I give out hints until I feel like I'm not being listened too or asked/told not to.

I've gotten to the point, that I don't even look at chat anymore in the lvl60 dungeons. I just do what I have to and talk to friends over skype and vent about how bad that summoner is, or pissily wonder why I've been at less then half hp when I only have two things on me.  When I do get a good group the skype chat more or less fall into lore or what we think might be coming up in patch yet  come.

I'd say just fine something to get your mind off the problem and just sit back and relax. Some people will be looking for something to complain about.   Ignore them and do the job you need to. Odds are you will never encounter them again after this run.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - KitKat - 07-12-2015

The overwhelming majority of people I meet in DF are friendly and forgiving. It isn't until you hit the raids that people start raising their hackles, and even then they typically just spam Vote Abandon or drop on their own.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - LiadansWhisper - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 04:23 PM)Griffith! Wrote: Anyone else just really dread the roulette queues? I don't know what it is - the idea of a bunch of strangers relying on my ability to keep them alive, maybe - but I absolutely hate running dungeons.

Sometimes you get a real friendly party, y'know? They're polite and nice and give you non-confrontational tips as you go. And then sometimes you get horrible parties full of assholes who just tell you how to do your job every time you lose enmity for half a second. And there is just no way of knowing which one it's going to be because you don't know these people, and it's not like there's an in-game "I think I'm better than you at everything" flag.

It's the pressure. I know it's a game, and there's not supposed to be that much pressure, and if it were just me, alone, there wouldn't be. But it's not. It's me and a bunch of people relying on me. I have to preform well, or it's not fun for anyone. It doesn't help that some people wait in queues for half an hour at a time (but not tanks, haha ha... ha).

And now I'm at the point in the game where people are starting to take their dungeons very seriously. The dungeons I'm starting on now are harder and people have thus far been less forgiving of mistakes. And it's just not cool when you have to pop an ativan in the middle of a dungeon run because you're starting to have a panic attack. It's rough, man.

Anyone else have similar feelings about dungeons, or am I the odd man out?

Nah, most of my dungeon roulettes have been really nice, but every now and then I got some really, really awful parties.  One in particular was so bad that I ended up leaving and reporting the entire group for harassment.

Don't let them get to you, though, and please remember that it's not all your responsibility.  Your party is there to help you, and if they don't, it's them who are doing wrong, not you.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Aysun - 07-12-2015

I only feel this anxiety when I'm playing a role I know I shouldn't play. Such as when I was leveling my tank classes - I haaated it. When I'm on my roles that I'm practiced and good with, I'm fine!

Have you considered trying other roles that may cause less anxiety for you?

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Gaspard - 07-12-2015

Def. had some 'oh shit' moments as a tank. imho there's more pressure on tanks/healers in general. Plus you have to take more into account. keep aggro, maintain right position and inbetween dps as much as you can without risking said aggro/position. very nopeworthy when you run content for the first time

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Nebbs - 07-12-2015

Even though I make myself do it and get along okay, I hate the anxiety. I have a friend who heals while I tank and that does well, also I get friends from LSs to come, that also helps. But the solo roulette, I have to almost turn off and just do it.

I tend to tank mostly as at least I have some control.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Sin - 07-12-2015

I don't feel any overwhelming anxiety most of the time.

When I do, it usually stems from not having prepared well-enough for the task I'm about to do, not having done the research so to say.

Being new doesn't cause me any anxiety as stating outright and upfront right at the start of whatever I'm doing. "Hey, this is my first time, let me know what I could do better." Absolves me of all sins.

It might help to read about whatever dungeon you're doing, and the specific responsibilities your role with entail.

Try your best to relax and enjoy the experience. You can't help but run into some bad apples - it's the internet, but I find on the average most groups are people just like you trying to get their queue done just like you.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Virella - 07-12-2015

Personally I do not feel anxiety at all; in truth dungeons with too many random people frustrates me mostly of the time.

That's why I mostly run my dailies with friends, so I do not have to worry Smile

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Griffith! - 07-12-2015

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I do read up on the dungeons and raids before I do them - I actually check multiple websites before each one. That's one of those "I didn't really deserve to be an AP honor student" side-effects: I have a tendency to over-prepare. But, theory and practice rarely match up.

I know the party is there to help me too, but the thing about anxiety? You never really know what's going to make you anxious. Knowing it's not all on me and feeling like it's not all on me aren't the same thing.

It doesn't help that the classes I want to play are all tanks, with the exception of pugilist. But that's okay, because I'm not even a bad tank. My actual ability to preform my job isn't the problem here.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Aaron - 07-12-2015

I generally don't have a issue. I got all the anxiety out when I first rolled Paladin last year and learned the class and how tanking is.

My advice? Tanking is stressful to some people. Just gotta pull through it.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Gegenji - 07-12-2015

I used to be worried at first. But having leveled not one but two tanks to 60, I like to think I've accumulated enough experience to do the job decently well. And, since I run through content as a healer first, I usually have a general sense of the fight - though there might be a couple tank things I'm unaware of.

Of course, no one can see that. And some don't even care and want to tell you how to do your job and get testy no matter what you do. I think I mentioned in the Vent Tent a little while back where I had to deal with a mouthy DRG that was completely abrasive and demeaning, and got snide when I told him that - while my character was new in the instance - I had run through it twice before on my other two characters.

Just do your best, and if someone is being enough of a jerk - initiate a votekick. Most likely, everyone else isn't like dealing with the guy either and it'll pass. If not, you can always remove yourself and find yourself a nice, new group with your <5 minute tank queue.

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Viola - 07-12-2015

I play my role how I like my (real life) Master; Assertive and dominant.

('-' )

With that said, I don't have an issue with running dungeons unless it's raid tier content (IE Final Coil of Bahamut)

RE: Dungeon Anxiety - Nako Vesh - 07-12-2015

I get this, too. Actually, to be honest, I have an anxiety disorder so I get nervous about the most random things in general. The only think that really helps me is running dungeons/raid almost exclusively with friends. So, unfortunately, my only advice is to find a nice, supportive group of friends to run things with? Sad