Hydaelyn Role-Players
OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions (/showthread.php?tid=12587)

OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Checheri - 07-14-2015

Hi Guys, 

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into RP soon, already moved to Balmung with my fresh level 50. I'm still researching and reading up though, so it will still take me a while. I had a few questions, if that's alright...

1. I was wondering what the opinion was on OOC Eternal Bonds? I need the glamour for my character concept, but I don't want the relationship for RP reasons. Is anybody else in this sort of predicament?

2. Finally, I plan to RP a Dunesfolk Lalafell female noble, perhaps descended from a wealthy merchant family. Do these families have special surnames, or do they adhere to the standard Lala naming conventions?

3. Finally, what is RP like in dungeons? How dya balance downing that boss with talkin' up a storm? 

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm an RP noob if that wasn't obvious. I've dabble a bit in Champions Online, but that's pretty much it.

RE: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Gegenji - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 01:27 PM)Talesoffan1 Wrote: Hi Guys, 

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into RP soon, already moved to Balmung with my fresh level 50. I'm still researching and reading up though, so it will still take me a while. I had a few questions, if that's alright...

1. I was wondering what the opinion was on OOC Eternal Bonds? I need the glamour for my character concept, but I don't want the relationship for RP reasons. Is anybody else in this sort of predicament?

2. Finally, I plan to RP a Dunesfolk Lalafell female noble, perhaps descended from a wealthy merchant family. Do these families have special surnames, or do they adhere to the standard Lala naming conventions?

3. Finally, what is RP like in dungeons? How dya balance downing that boss with talkin' up a storm? 

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm an RP noob if that wasn't obvious. I've dabble a bit in Champions Online, but that's pretty much it.

1. I've seen plenty of people do OOC EBs for a variety of reasons - the two-person mount, the /embrace emote, the clothing. I think you're fine with doing it. I dunno if it keeps you from being able to do an IC one later if you want one, though. Never EB'd any of my characters.

2. Currently, the only difference in Dunesfolk Lalafell naming conventions is when referring to royalty. Nanamo, for example, is Nanamo Ul Namo - of the Royal Ul Family. So, unless you're somehow linked to a royal family, you should be fine with sticking to the standard naming conventions.

3. RP runs in dungeons are pretty fun. You can't be too wordy due to the timers, but most of the ones I've had have involved some talking here and there during trash... and then before and after the boss fights. Not so much talking during the boss - especially if there's mechanics to keep tabs on. There might be other folks who do it differently, though.

I hope that helps. Thumbsup

RE: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Checheri - 07-14-2015

Ah ok, that's all really helpful! Also I might end up making a new account since I realized my name is totally not helpful here...
So now I just gotta find somebody that would OOC Eternal Bond with me for the shinies. Any idea how I should go about searching for that? 

I see, so I can just generate names then. I wanted to find something with meaning, but do Lala names really have meaning per se? As in does each syllable denote some sort of something? If that makes any sense. 

nd oh wow, dungeons sound super fun then. Thanks for all of your help!

RE: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Gegenji - 07-14-2015

If you mean your RPC name, you can actually change it in the options. Open up User CP, and under "Edit Profile" is "Change Username." That way you can change it to what you'd like without having to go through all the effort of setting up a new account.

As for finding someone who would like to do OOC EBs? I suppose you could ask in a thread. Making Connections, maybe? If I'm wrong, I'm sure one of the other admins will move it to the proper section.

As for Lalafell names in general, I'll first direct you to the Naming Conventions Thread on the official forums. However, as a quick breakdown - Lalafell have a musical-style naming theme. Dunesfolk males (like Chachanji Gegenji, my character) follow a AAC-BBC style. The ladies go with AAB-AB (ex. Nanamo Namo). As long as you go with something like that, you should be "fine" in a lore naming sort of way.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't also do some fun stuff with the name to add some meaning as well. Gegenji was wrought from the Genji armor - a notably famous Final Fantasy armor - which sounded appropriate for a family of famous Doman smiths. Wink

RE: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - T'shina - 07-14-2015

And a tip! Should you wish to not stay connected to the OOC Eternal Bond person, then once it is all said and done you "toss" the rings and you still retain all the benefits from it. And should you want to ICly Eternally Bond with someone then all you have to do is just do it again!

Oh so I can still change this name, great!

I'll have to head over to that forum and take a stab at it then. And oh, that was a really creative way of adding meaning to your name! I'll have to ruminate on that one for a while...

(07-14-2015, 01:49 PM)T Wrote: And a tip! Should you wish to not stay connected to the OOC Eternal Bond person, then once it is all said and done you "toss" the rings and you still retain all the benefits from it. And should you want to ICly Eternally Bond with someone then all you have to do is just do it again!

Oh really? I see, interesting! Only downside is that I'd like to glamour the ring for RP reasons as well, haha. Which shouldn't be a huge problem since I think I'll probably stay away from IC Eternal Bonds with this character.

RE: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Blue - 07-14-2015

(07-14-2015, 01:49 PM)Tshina Wrote: And a tip! Should you wish to not stay connected to the OOC Eternal Bond person, then once it is all said and done you "toss" the rings and you still retain all the benefits from it. And should you want to ICly Eternally Bond with someone then all you have to do is just do it again!

So wait, the quest is repeatable if I toss the ring? I OOCly EBd with a friend's alt to get him the chocobo. Will we be able to re-do the quest if we toss the rings? Pilgrimage and all?

I think it requires buying the wristlet again as well as tossing the rings, but I could be wrong, since I'm the newb and all.

RE: OOC Eternal Bond? And Other Questions - Kage - 07-14-2015

There's a 10 day waiting period after the ceremony but if you go back you will essentially get it annulled. Throw away the ring etc. You buy a new wristlet and do everything with your new partner, done.