Hydaelyn Role-Players
Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa (/showthread.php?tid=12618)

Pages: 1 2

Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - D'aito Kuji - 07-16-2015

Hey,

I unexpectedly caught some flak yesterday when I was in Central Thanalan over my Chocobo wearing the Maelstrom barding.  It had not occurred to me that doing such a thing in one of the other city-states might be offensive.

Has anyone had their allegiance to one of the city-states questioned while outside of it? And if so, what would your character say or do?

I for one changed the barding after some in-depth denial of my character being a spy for Admiral Merlwyb. (if I was would I go around parading the flag of my city-state? I should think not)

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - -no longer matters- - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 02:59 PM)D Wrote: Hey,

I unexpectedly caught some flak yesterday when I was in Central Thanalan over my Chocobo wearing the Maelstrom barding.  It had not occurred to me that doing such a thing in one of the other city-states might be offensive.

Has anyone had their allegiance to one of the city-states questioned while outside of it? And if so, what would your character say or do?

I for one changed the barding after some in-depth denial of my character being a spy for Admiral Merlwyb. (if I was would I go around parading the flag of my city-state? I should think not)
This seems crazy!! Not everyone has unlocked a ton of bardings for their Chocobo, this just seems like nit picking for nit pickings sake!

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Manari - 07-16-2015

I took that as meaning someone had a problem with it IC. And if that is the case then I actually think that's great! I love characters who have prejudice against others by way of nation or race. It's just fun and exciting to have a bit of tension or conflict over such things, as they do happen in real life and I see far too many characters being overly open and accepting when we clearly see in the lore that is extremely uncommon to have such a mindset.

But if that person was being OOC and serious... then that is just stupid.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Gegenji - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 03:30 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 02:59 PM)D Wrote: Hey,

This seems crazy!! Not everyone has unlocked a ton of bardings for their Chocobo, this just seems like nit picking for nit pickings sake!

On top of that, you actually CANNOT put the barding of a GC you're not actively a part of on your chocobo. Gogon has all the barding for all three GCs, and he can only actively put on Maelstrom's. If there's stuff from another GC already on the bird when you change, it stays on... you just can't take it off or you won't be able to put it back on again.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Griffith! - 07-16-2015

I would be more worried about you being a spy for just literally any other faction than for the one who's flag you're flying. I mean, you think it through, and the person with the Maelstrom barding is the least likely Maelstrom spy. Spies are supposed to blend, not ride around screaming "look at me, I'm a patriot for a nation that isn't yours!"

Unless that's what you want them to think.

But no, to answer your question, I've never had anyone call my out on my Immortal Flames barding. Someone did call me out once for riding a Magitek Armor. Called me an imperial spy. But as I wasn't in character (I was working on the relic quest), I just shot them a tell that I was OOC and left it there.

If Marten were accused of being a spy? He'd laugh it off, especially if he happens to still be wearing the paladin armor. How are you going to accuse someone in the uniform of the Sultansworn of being a spy? I mean, it'd be like accusing an American Soldier, in a US army uniform, of being an American spy. It's the right ballpark, but the wrong field.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Aya - 07-16-2015

I think its terrific Smile A solid excuse for IC antagonism.  Whether or not its ICly a good excuse or not isn't entirely relevant, I don't think!  Maybe the Maelstrom had killed his brother.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Sigil.9054 - 07-16-2015

Hmm. Well, Sel isn't Maelstrom, so one would wonder why her chocobo is wearing Maelstrom barding to begin with. I haven't settled on a good reason for that, and it's currently entirely because I OOCly like the look of the barding. (I really should come up with an IC reason, or at least remove the barding when in character. Then again, I haven't even decided if the chocobo is in character or not!)

That said, if someone questions Seldi's allegiance to Limsa Lominsa - She's terribly fond of the city, even if not officially affiliated, or even a regular fixture - she'd probably just ignore the question. If the asker didn't leave well enough alone, she'd flippantly respond that she loves her homeland, and ask if that's not enough. And if they continued to press the matter, she'd likely become increasingly hostile about it.

To her it would be about the same ask someone asking why you love your mom.

(07-16-2015, 03:33 PM)Manari Wrote: I took that as meaning someone had a problem with it IC. And if that is the case then I actually think that's great! I love characters who have prejudice against others by way of nation or race. It's just fun and exciting to have a bit of tension or conflict over such things, as they do happen in real life and I see far too many characters being overly open and accepting when we clearly see in the lore that is extremely uncommon to have such a mindset.

+1 to this

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Sounsyy - 07-16-2015

If Sounsyy still had her chocobo ICly, you can bet it'd be flying Maelstrom colors loud and proud. And anyone who is ICly antagonistic against Limsa Lominsa will have to deal with her. ...and risk a diplomatic incident. Because the nations are supposed to be allies... even if we don't like each other much. TIL SEA SWALLOWS ALL!

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Aya - 07-16-2015

By the way, you don't have to wear barding.  I know Aya's Chocobo is bardingless Smile

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - D'aito Kuji - 07-16-2015

To be clear - this was an IC interaction.  But both my character and myself were a little bewildered.  And I too love it when different factions fuss - makes the world seem more real and the stakes a little higher.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Kage - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 03:44 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: ...and risk a diplomatic incident. Because the nations are supposed to be allies... even if we don't like each other much.

Kage's response would be an incredulous one.
"Do you all just want to bite the helping hands? Who's asking for help against dragons again? Not me."

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-16-2015

If british troops were having an exercise on USA soil, would they have to cover up the Union Jack?

Of course not.

They're allies, you're supposed to have pride in your nation.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Faye - 07-16-2015

I'm not sure it would make much sense. The city states aren't exactly at war or on bad terms with each other. They're allied and friendly, even if mostly out of necessity. It seems to me kinda like someone getting flak for driving through Florida with a Georgia license plate on his car. So I don't think it would really be a thing, but hey, if someone's character would act that way for some reason, then go for it.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Tumensuns - 07-16-2015

There isn't much of a reason you would catch flak for having Maelstrom flags while riding through Thanalan.

The three city-states(four if you count Ishgard) aren't at war with each other, and have shown no real desire to contest city-state borders at all.

Nanamo even went to council with the other two city states, asking them to assist Ul'dah in its transformation when she had wanted to step down and let the city be ruled by the people. That's not something you do if you were at war or cold war with a bordering nation.

RE: Displaying the flag of the Maelstrom outside of Limsa - Blue - 07-16-2015

Disregarding MSQ events, the Grand Companies are allies, and adventurers are hired by all three without restraints on where they can go with their company birds. Therefore, I'd say it's fairly normal to see chocobos with bardings of any GC in any area at any given time.