Hydaelyn Role-Players
Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile (/showthread.php?tid=12816)

Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Vincent Sarkoza - 08-03-2015

(This isn't complete yet, but I wanted to stop mid way and see what other people thought)

Name: Vincent Sarkoza
Nicknames: The Red Death. Vinny. Mister Red.
Citizenship: Limsa Lominsa 
Race: Hyur
Clan: Midlander
Pace of Birth: unknown(wip)
Nameday: 5/26
Martial Satus: Single
Occupation: Traveling Chef and Goods Peddler. Main occupation:Assassin for hire

-Appearance-

Height=6'1''

Weight=175ponze

complexion=fair, slightly tan

Eyes=Teal

Particular Traits= Most people tend to notice
his eyes as it is his most prominent feature aside from his red hair. 

Voice: Mugen (samurai champloo)

Clothing Style: Prefers comfortable clothing when traveling, his traditional shinobi garb when on the job though sometimes simply
concealing his face will suffice. 

-Tastes-

Hobbies: cooking, collecting and cataloging herbs, spices, and hunting for meat. 

Likes:Wine,tea, desserts, traveling, women, beaches, sleeping

Dislikes: Resents restrictions, people who judge others' lifestyle and beliefs, 

-Personality-
(Chaotic Neutral) 
   To conceal his true occupation, Vincent acts gentlemanly and polite toward strangers and aquaintances. 
Very few know his true personality, even fewer know he's an assassin or even a shinobi at that.
Alhough he appears friendly enough, since he often talks people,it's mainly so he can gather information about the area 
he's in for for other information he happens to be looking for. Rarely is he ever out just to make a friend or two. Outwardly 
he projects himself as someone who cares deeply for the woes of others and as someone who would give aid to those in need.
He also conceals and lies about most of his fighting prowess to those around him,coming off as a traveling cook who's only good 
enough with his knives to protect himself against the average bandit/beast.Of course, when his life is in danger or if those 
around him he deems are an asset to him are in danger, he will fight to his full capacity when the situation warrants it. 

Truthfully, Vincent is far from being polite nor gentlemanly. He's sarcastic, usually follows his whims and doesnt care too much about those
around him. Often times he does what he does out of amusement or out of curiosity of what might happen after, which makes him 
quite mischievous at times and can earn him the resentment of those he plays tricks on. Speaking of tricks, he does have a tendency
to try to decieve others into either doing things for him or making things easier for him though he sometimes compesates the victim 
with some kind of a reward.somtimes.

Even though he does kill (mainly) for a living, he doesn't go out of his way to harm those around him and prefers not to engage in 
violence unless someone is intentionally getting in his way.Depending on his mood he'll either move on to something else or outright 
beat the individual(s) out of his way.He especially dislikes harming innocent women and children and doesn't accept any contract that
details the elimination of either but the death (or harm) of both have been indirectly related to his actions on the job in the past.
It is important to note that he has knowingly taken a contract that called for the death of a woman who lived in the outskirts
of Limsa Lominsa and it was the first contract he had ever taken. 

(more to be added)

Religion:none

Quirks:

Common Rumours:

Uncommon Roumours:

Rare Rumours:

OOC Inspirations: Spike Spiegel, Mugen (samurai champloo)

Areas of expertise: Hand to hand combat, poisons, knife/shuriken throwing, dagger wielding, herblore, first aid, meditation, mudras. 

Strengths:

Weaknesses: 

-History-

Life was hard for little Vinny. He knew nothing of his family save for the name Sarkoza, which was written on a slip of paper that 
was tied to his wrist when he was found in the slums of Uldah as a child and brought to an orphanage out in the desert.As he grew he quickly 
learned that in order to survive, he had to do what was needed in order to come out on top. The orphanage that accommodated him, and other children
affected by the calamity,could only feed so many kids and so the weaker children starved while the stronger kids grew stronger. So though it wasn't easy 
at first, eventually Vincent learned how to fight for his food in the orphanage, and sleight of hand on the streets as he pick pocketed his way through 
nearby Uldah.His talent for hand to hand combat was noticed by those at the pugilist guild in Uldah but Vincent took no interest in them as he had more
important matters on his mind at the time so he refused them. Eventually Vincent led a small gang of children in the orphanage who fought and stole together 
to secure the most food and the comfiest beds.Life was routine for a time until it threw yet another curve ball at him when the orphanage decided to kick out 
anyone older than the age of 12. It was then Vincent had to decide whether or not to try his luck in the slums of Uldah or perhaps, as the thought trickled 
into his mind, travel out and seek strength, wealth, and glory.

He had seen many adventurers come and go and everyone he saw served only to fuel his curiosity and ambition. He was terrified of ending up 
like the old men he had seen during his time in the dark and ugly parts of the greatest city in Thanalan. The ones who have spent all their 
life trying to get by and never leaving the confines of the city, let alone the land. He felt uneasy leaving his group behind but in his heart
he knew it was what he had to do so he gathered up all that he owned and began making his way to Vesper bay to learn how to wield a great axe 
from the marauder's guild. 

Nothing else was on his mind while he was on his way through Western Thanalan. He could only see himself whirling his greatxe at numerous enemies and even
slaying a primal or two like the warriors he had hear in the stories of old. For a kid who grew up owning nothing and had to struggle to live everyday, there
was nothing else to live for, nothing else to strive for. With a bag of of food and assorted clothing slung over his shoulder and a small dagger strapped to 
a leather belt, he would face the world...or so he thought. He had not gotten within three malms of Horizon before he was kidnapped by human traffickers 
who were also bound for Vesper Bay. 

As luck would have it, a veteran of the Rogues guild had been tracking the same band of traffickers and stowed away on their ship before dispatching the 
traffickers and their hired mercenaries. Vicent could hear something was going on above dead but he didn't know what was going on. What he did know was that
he had been kidnapped and he was pissed.Pissed taht he was still a kid and couldn't grow up any faster, that he wasn't any stronger or more alert and he took
out all his anger on the Rogue when he opened the barrel that contained Vincent. It took the Rogue completely off guard, the last thing he expected was an 
angry child to come leaping out of the barrel punching and screaming. When Vincent finally calmed down, the rogue introduced himself as Mansa Musha. The man
who would be Vincent's mentor the rougish arts and eventually, before his death, the arts of the shinobi. 

After an incident involving Vincent and a marauder, Vincent accepted Mansa's tutelage and for the next nine years until he was 21 he trained and lived with 
the man. When asked about why Mansa decided to take on Vincent as an apprentice, he simply stated he liked the fire he saw in Vincent's  eyes when he leapt
out of the barrel and when he drove his dagger though the heart of the marauder that had deceived him. Mansa's training was nothing short of grueling. 
Vincent actually died once when he was fifteen and would've stayed that way if Mansa hadn't been nearby and quick to use a Phoenix Down. It was an incident 
that left Vincent recovering from both the resurrection sickness and the injuries that killed him for three whole months before he could start walking properly
again.  

Mansa kept closer watch on Vincent ever since then, probably because he didn't have another Phoenix Down laying around and far too much time
had been invested in the young Vincent to let him die again. Whereas before Mansa left Vincent to his own devices on certain "missions", after Vincent's 
resurrection Mansa began accompanying Vincent but still leaving most of the work up to him. This pleased Vincent greatly as he had already began to view 
Mansa as a father figure. Through the "missions", more like tasks that had to be completed in a certain time, Vincent learned about the art of stealth, 
throwing daggers (and later shurikens), reconnaisance, information gathering, and assassination, which Vincent practiced on Mansa himself. When it wasn't off
doing Mansa's missions, which sometimes were just things Mansa himself was too lazy to do, Mansa was sharpening Vincent's body and mind. Teaching him how to 
properly meditate and conditioning his bones and muscles, and about aether. 

It wasn't until a year before Mansa's death by Vincent's hand that he taught Vincent the arts of the shinobi. Skills that were passed down to him from Mansa's 
own familty from the Doman side. Vincent was surprised to see the similarities in which rogues and shinobi fought, aside from the ninjutsus he learned later on.
Learning how to channel the aether around him into physical form was one of the toughest things Vincent ever learned and it took him upwards of up to almost
half a year to simply learn Huton and Suiton. At the final moment when Vincent ended Mansa's life, Vincent had succesfully cast the single ninjutsu that 
he could never come to grasp before...Raiton. 

That was the greatest tragedy of his life. Vincent had always wondered why Mansa had no family. He didn't have a wife, according to him he never even married,
he had no children, no relatives to speak of, and his parents were long dead. Mansa was for all intents and purposes alone on Eorzea. It wasn't until Vincent's
final mission that Mansa revealed to him why. The student, in a final show of skill and all that he or she has learned over the years, must overcome the master
in a battle to the death as is tradition in Mansa's family. If the student is victorious, then the master dies with honor knowing that he has passed on his will
and legacy to the next generation. If the student fails then the master is to take his own life to make up for the shame of unsuccesfully passing on his 
art. Mansa's mother died by his hands, an event that scarred him for life and ever since then he vowed to never start a family of his own. 

His was the second life Vincent ever took and he now carries the will of his master, his soulstone. "Take it" Mansa said "I'll always be here" he held up 
his soul stone, his hand trembling as his life faded "I'll always be here...."he rested his hand against Vincent's chest "and here."

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - LadyRochester - 08-04-2015

Everything looks perfect, except for one little thing: I wouldn't recommend using a soulstone in his storyline, as I believe (lore-wise) There's only supposed to be one in the world, and some people might take that as a ad-mary sue-ish. You can replace it with anything else to hold her memory, but lore-wise, only the warrior of light has access to the soulstone itself. It's meant to be rare.

Tongue

You can still be a shinobi/ninja/rogue without the soulstone, look at Yugiri and all her followers. 

This is just me being nitpicky, of course, and I might be wrong, as I haven't done the ninja questline, but I do think this applies to EVERY soul stone. 

That aside, your character seems very interesting! I rarely see Neutral-aligned characers, most people aim for "good" or "evil", So I'm glad to see another person who doesn't get too easily swayed by morality. (I rp a True Neutral).

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - aure - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 07:32 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: Everything looks perfect, except for one little thing: I wouldn't recommend using a soulstone in his storyline, as I believe (lore-wise) There's only supposed to be one in the world, and some people might take that as a ad-mary sue-ish. You can replace it with anything else to hold her memory, but lore-wise, only the warrior of light has access to the soulstone itself. It's meant to be rare.

Tongue

You can still be a shinobi/ninja/rogue without the soulstone, look at Yugiri and all her followers. 

This is just me being nitpicky, of course, and I might be wrong, as I haven't done the ninja questline, but I do think this applies to EVERY soul stone. 

With respect (and I really don't mean this to be condescending) but that's misinformation. While it's true that soul stones are rare, "one in the world" is completely false. Both the Summoner and Dark Knight storylines show that there's certainly more than one of each. (Tristan is collecting them, and Frey and Sidurgu both hold them in the Dark Knight storyline.)

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Spethah - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 12:00 PM)aure Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 07:32 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: Everything looks perfect, except for one little thing: I wouldn't recommend using a soulstone in his storyline, as I believe (lore-wise) There's only supposed to be one in the world, and some people might take that as a ad-mary sue-ish. You can replace it with anything else to hold her memory, but lore-wise, only the warrior of light has access to the soulstone itself. It's meant to be rare.

Tongue

With respect (and I really don't mean this to be condescending) but that's misinformation. While it's true that soul stones are rare, "one in the world" is completely false. Both the Summoner and Dark Knight storylines show that there's certainly more than one of each.  (Tristan is collecting them, and Frey and Sidurgu both hold them in the Dark Knight storyline.)

BLM questline also backs it up and it's actually a requirement to have that soul stone or bad things will happen to you. So having "only one in the world" would be completely dumb to use magic that'd destroy you before you destroy others.

Show Content

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Fox - 08-04-2015

Tongue

With respect (and I really don't mean this to be condescending) but that's misinformation. While it's true that soul stones are rare, "one in the world" is completely false. Both the Summoner and Dark Knight storylines show that there's certainly more than one of each. (Tristan is collecting them, and Frey and Sidurgu both hold them in the Dark Knight storyline.)

Aure is correct. Lore has stated that there are multiple soulstones for certain classes. Paladin hands them out nearly like candy. DRK it is -vital- to have multiple soulstones to different characters. AST it has shown to have multiple as has MCH.

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Mercer - 08-04-2015

Further more, MCH has shown that they produce their own soulstones meaning more can be created although they will not have the memories and souls accumulated inside the stone. 

Soulstones have two purposes after all. The first is that if there have been other wielders, their experiences are inscribed on the stone for the next generation to use. The second is to manipulate the more complicated Aether needed for high level abilities. Even if you strip away the first ability, having a teacher to guide you through the second enables the learning and use of a Job.

Now this doesn't mean you can just hand them out like candy, there is a lot of responsibility that goes into using a soulstone. The powers they help focus can be world ending, such as the BLM and WHM abilities. They are much more rare for a reason. On the flip side, the hardy abilities of PLD offer little reason not to use a soulstone which is why they are much more common. Every Sultansworn you see in the game has one and there are many just hanging around the Chamber of Rule.

Soulstones are not a good excuse to dismiss Job RP. There are a growing number of sources for them and many of the post 50 quests talk about training the new generation (BRD and MNK specifically).

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - LadyRochester - 08-04-2015

Tongue

With respect (and I really don't mean this to be condescending) but that's misinformation. While it's true that soul stones are rare, "one in the world" is completely false. Both the Summoner and Dark Knight storylines show that there's certainly more than one of each.  (Tristan is collecting them, and Frey and Sidurgu both hold them in the Dark Knight storyline.)

I see, then I was misinformed. I mistakenly thought so based on the whm questline, as they make a big deal out of it. I believe the same applies to the sch, but I suppose I have to re-investigate. Thank you for this. I'm still very reluctant to apply soulstones to rp as many people still regard it as something a mary-sue would do, I personally don't mind it, but I've seen it happen.

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Mercer - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 01:11 PM)LadyRochester Wrote:

Tongue

I see, then I was misinformed. I mistakenly thought so based on the whm questline, as they make a big deal out of it. I believe the same applies to the sch, but I suppose I have to re-investigate. Thank you for this. I'm still very reluctant to apply soulstones to rp as many people still regard it as something a mary-sue would do, I personally don't mind it, but I've seen it happen.

WHM is very unique in that the stones are exceedingly rare and the only known practitioners are from a single family line. On the flip side Scholars are increasing in number as the Nimian Tonberries have become friendly and are actively teaching Scholarly ways.

Hmm, yes, but this is only after the level 50 quest line. I believe tonberries begin their teaching only in 3.0 or at the end of 2.0. It really depends on where a character starts, if you're a new player, applying 3.0 lore might not be in your pate just yet.

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Fox - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 01:55 PM)LadyRochester Wrote: Hmm, yes, but this is only after the level 50 quest line. I believe tonberries begin their teaching only in 3.0 or at the end of 2.0. It really depends on where a character starts, if you're a new player, applying 3.0 lore might not be in your pate just yet.

However the concern with that is you would have to place your character into a complete vacuum bubble and likely restrict yourself from interacting from the community as a whole as an SCH and not involve yourself to an extent with other SCH/etc. I think if the person so chooses to spoil the information and read the storyline I don't so much have a problem with it.

Edit: To add onto this, it's something that RPers on MMOs have dealt with for a very long time. How you deal with it really is up to the individual. Some people may prefer the vacuum, others may wish to spoil the story and play real time. There's no 'wrong' about it really. And it is a -lot- of content to go through.

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Faye - 08-04-2015

Since others have pretty much covered all the constructive comments about the actual content, I'm just gonna toss in that the formatting is a little sloppy in some places and makes it difficult to read, and "Martial Status" should be "Marital Status."

RE: Can I get an opinion? This is my First Char Profile - Vincent Sarkoza - 08-05-2015

Wow i didn't know there would be such a big discussion all of a sudden xD thanks for the replies everyone Smile I chose to give Vincent a soul stone since in the NIN msq the player character is given a dying ninja's souls stone. That led me to assume that every ninja, or at least most, have a soul stone. Nothing was mentioned of the rarity of NIN soul stones either.

Later on Oboro says that the soul stone chooses the character but of course that's because we're suppose to be the great hero. I'm thinking a soul stone could accept a new owner if he/she is either ready to learn or capable of performing ninjutsu skills. That's why I had Vincent go through training so it would make more sense Smile

Also yeah, sorry for the poor format. My windows tablet didn't have word so i had to type everything on notepad :c