Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Draco Nobis - 08-03-2015

I've RP'd a DRK since 2.0 (As a shieldless PLD). Lucky for me, a lot of the DRK stuff, such as weapon and where the Darkside comes from, was accurate enough to my character. I think they were spying on me /shot Although he isn't such an emotional powered DRK anymore. Unless you count his passion to defend others as emotional drive.

But, there have been a few DRK's I've seen that put interesting twists on it. I know Orenji Kharn is an IC DRK although he hides it. Jullienaux is another, and he listed the others I know of. Gunnbjorn was another, but I forgot his character's last name.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Val - 08-03-2015

I have a Dark Knight! Though he isn't very well aware that he has the abilities. He's also a very pleasant/good person :p he just needs a teacher so he'll stop sucking.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Jessika Saphir - 08-03-2015

I started building Jess's DRK transformation long before any of us knew what DRK was going to be, and aside from the fact that I am basing her powers on voidsent (it's not...quite that simple, but it is an accurate enough grouping to lump me into for this discussion) it is eerie how well things have been playing into it.  Either way, I know I've been enjoying playing as a DRK, and I can't wait to start actually being one IC.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Mercer - 08-03-2015

Oswin is not a stereotypical DRK going the typical DRK route.

What I mean to say is that Oswin already has some familiarity with the more aggressive parts of his personality through previous Marauder and Warrior training, though he was never truly able to temper the Beast Within like so many Warriors before him. It's lead to him having very aggressive, violent tendencies in battle as he loses himself to the base instincts below even the Id and Ego, simply the state of survival.

His journey to becoming a Dark Knight is stereotypical and... very not typical. In truth, Oswin is a half breed between Midlander and Highlander, with his Midlander father hailing from Ishgard long before the gates closed. His father, often called Rook among the Dark Knight circles, died in the past year. His few effects were left with a trusted companion in Ishgard, waiting for his long lost son to finally discover his inheritance.

People who are familiar with the Dark Knight quest line know how cruel the process of becoming a Dark Knight can be. Rook's soulstone was hidden inside of his signet ring and when Oswin discovered his father's effects and tried on the soulstone, the process of becoming a Dark Knight started. He's currently going through fitful nights full of nightmares and days full of whispers and visions.

His story is very similar to the WoL's transformation as a Dark Knight. Instead Oswin is currently supported and taught what it means to be a DRK by his father's old apprentice and a rival Dark Knight, letting him form and understand over a much longer period of time. Heck, over a month and a half later and he's just starting to understand what this darkness is and the battle raging behind the scenes.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Dante Abigor - 08-03-2015

I created Dante with his eventual transformation into a Dark Knight type of character planned since way back in 1.0 before hey even announced AF jobs. They second I heard of Paladins being a thing in FFXIV he was to officially become a DRK.

That said though the way things have developed in game are a bit odd at best and while at his core he still has all of the traits of a DRK(Its creepy and eery actually considering how well he has fit with the actual lore when I made it blindly) except for the need to defend those outside of his little world of people he cares about.

What he is though is constantly desperate for power, something that has been a constant from the beginning. I mean, he attends the Grindstone on the off chance that all of the battle going on possibly open a Chakra inside of him, forged a blade so he wouldnt forget his past failures, and his emotions literally channel his aether.

The only kicker is that he doesnt actually know what a dark knight really /is/ yet, so he doesnt claim it, much like he doesnt claim being a monk as he believes it is not a way of life for him, but a means to an end.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Steel Wolf - 08-04-2015

Steel is still trying to come to grips with what the hell it is she's becoming. I've sort of worked with the DRK story quests in that her internal emotional strife and rage is a source of aether, which segues nicely in to her tapping the depths of what was her Inner Beast during her stint as a Warrior.

That said, I also still have her as very snarky and ostentatious. Just because her aether comes from a place of pain doesn't mean she has to wear it like a cloak.

The biggest struggle I'm personally having is finding someone who'd find interest in mentoring my character in the Dark Arts.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - A'kos Saiyal - 08-04-2015

A'kos would be the emotion fueled sort of Dark Knight if I take him in that direction ic. It's just so ingrained in his nature to be that rogue/ninja/dervish type of fighter that it would be a drastic leap to become a DRK, so I may just do it ooc. I've only done the first quest so far but it was pretty amazing how well it fit him personality wise.

We'll see, I admit that I see the Dark Knights less like hate fueled Sith Lords just out for their own ends, and more like Batman started his own order of knights and gave them greatswords and dark powers. Maybe Batman and Spawn had kids...

...there were those crossovers >_>

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Vitamin C - 08-04-2015

I tend to throw back to older Final Fantasies in my roleplaying of a Dark Knight when it comes to Orenji. Much like Draco said, he keeps it under wraps because I've seen a vast majority of roleplayers that "suffer not a Dark Knight to live" thinking them beasts and such. 

In terms of personality in non-aetheric combat, I like to pay heavy homage to Guts (from Berserk) and the general idea of 'sacrifice HP to boost DPS insanely'. Orenji's combat style involves him often getting hit in order to strike his opponent even harder. (In fact he became friends with Draco by getting stabbed in the shoulder and summarily using that distance to swing his blade back at him). He's a risk taker, where he cares less about getting hit so long as he can strike back, the whole "the best defense is a good offense" deal that I don't see many DRK roleplayers take.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the XIV twist of stealing HP to be tankier, in terms of aether, Orenji is highly reliant on enhancing his own blade with dark magics or using old school dark-versions of classic FF spells. Dark Firaga, Dark Blizzaga, etc. Since his own echo is that of subconscious time magic use, i.e. Slow/Haste (it's what allows his ego to claim that he's the fastest around), it only fit even more perfectly when doing the DRK questline (specifically the level 50 one) and your opponent starts using Gravity and such, which are also time magics.

I'd love to think that the 30-50 questline was written perfectly for Orenji's character development as both a dark knight and a leader (because it totally was), but it fits extremely well into how I roleplay them. I base Orenji heavily on a combo of both Kain and Cecil Harvey, two of my favorite protagonists of all time. Orenji's darkness is a very real 'inner voice' character for him, whom he battles wits with in terms of his instinct and emotions not unlike Ichigo (from the manga Bleach) would his inner hollow, not to get too spoilery with the DRK questline. That is the source for most of his aether magics, especially what allows him to be a Dark Knight.

Though as someone said before me, all in all, they're really just batmen that aren't afraid to kill people for the greater good.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Jana - 08-04-2015

Reading this, Jana would make a good DRK... But she's got too many classes and a job crystal already!

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Cato - 08-04-2015

I actually considered making Graeham into a DRK purely for the sake of having him wield a two handed sword. I ultimately decided against it though since the aesthetics of the class just didn't fit him and I'd simply be avoiding using any of the abilities IC.

I settled on PLD instead and using a sword and shield is much more effective for the sort of character I'm portraying him as. It helps that the abilities don't look so blatantly...evil.

I've seen quite a few role-players portraying their characters as the stereotypical DRK both before and after the class was added to the game. 

I think it's also worth noting that realistically not a lot of people are going to know what a DRK actually is and even fewer individuals are going to understand that they're not necessarily as evil as they're rumoured to be. Plus even those who come to understand them are going to be wary because a DRK can easily 'give in' to their inner turmoil and effectively lose it, becoming a major threat to be put down.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - -no longer matters- - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 12:22 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Steel is still trying to come to grips with what the hell it is she's becoming.  I've sort of worked with the DRK story quests in that her internal emotional strife and rage is a source of aether, which segues nicely in to her tapping the depths of what was her Inner Beast during her stint as a Warrior.

That said, I also still have her as very snarky and ostentatious.  Just because her aether comes from a place of pain doesn't mean she has to wear it like a cloak.  

The biggest struggle I'm personally having is finding someone who'd find interest in mentoring my character in the Dark Arts.
OMG hahaha we basically have almost the same story and character here. Minus the needing a mentor part. XD War's a bit older so she's adjusted to the transition well. I don't want to go into details here but there are story reasons for her going the route she did. (OOC being my XI char was a Galka DRK/THF dps then when it became viable a DRK/NIN Tank, and I wanted to make a female version of him in XIV, and everything else is just falling into place.)

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Seriphyn - 08-04-2015

Well, definitely RP FOTM.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Cato - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 07:01 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: Well, definitely RP FOTM.

Funnily enough, reading your post I realised I haven't seen nearly as many people role-playing MCH or AST as I have DRK.

Quite a lot of people haven't changed their character's IC class/job at all, luckily. Or their race - so that helps keep things somewhat balanced!

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - mongi291 - 08-04-2015

Isaulde is an actual Dark Knight. Not only she uses a greatsword and uses her emotions to fuel her powers, but she actually stays in Ishgard to protect the lowborn and the outcasts from abuse from the highborn. She's basically more paragonable to a Sultansworn Paladin, than to a free Paladin.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Corelyn - 08-04-2015

Dail'a, while still only 49 and working his way through the MSQ yet, will be grabbing DRK eventually, and, should I decide to go anything more than "asshole with a big bad sword," which is likely because I've always liked shadow/dark magic that isn't inherently evil, wiull be doing the motion-based power.

Granted, I still know very little about the class itself because I have little interest in actually doing it on Corelyn, who is, for all intents and purposes, my main and sole 60 (the only one being MCH since I have problems playing jobs/classes that aren't relevant to the character).

But as it goes on down the line, I may think of doing more with Dail'a with DRK stuff because it's right up his alley. Be it through coming up some soulstone or winding up possessed of the power in some way or another, I'm sure I'll figure out an interesting story for it. Might even occur through some FC RP I've been in of late.