Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Aaron - 08-04-2015

OK so I have a question that kiiinda relates to the topic.

To the DRK rpers who don't use the typical parent was a DRK or had a soulstone route (by no means am I berating that route) but take the whole um, how can I put this to make sense? The "I have the capacity and emotion to be a DRK but I don't even know what a DRK is or even that I can use emotions to power my body" route. . . did that make sense? Oh well, to those taking that route I'm curious as to

How do you start off such a development to a DRK when your character doesn't even know they have the capacity to be a DRK and won't realize it on their own. Do I have to go the cliche get into a fight and suddenly get so emotional boom DRK powers route? Or can I do a more subtle route like someone else picking up on his capabilities or something?

I'm asking because I'm really thinking about tossing Aaron into the DRK by skill but not through name route as it suits his personality. But I don't want to like go in and suddenly get barraged with questions (even though I know the lore) and think I'm doing it wrong >_>

Because I will openly admit I wanted the Sith to win in Star Wars after I read their lore and thought the guys were the most badass villians I've ever seen in any media.

Doesn't help the DRK attacks slick sound like a light saber .

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Fox - 08-04-2015

I play my DRK as a DRK. It is something that I had considered since I first heard about the class months ago; and as each bit of lore came out I worked extensively on it. When I create a character, I research as much as I can, and I study. For me? Dusk, as she goes by, is not a flavor of the month and she isn't a character that I will abandon in six months, a year, or even longer. I dedicate myself when I make a character. I chose to go with DRK because I enjoy the lore, I have always enjoyed it even since FF4. It is one of my favorite FF's. Because of that I want to do it right.

Sure I could have gone with a person who uses a large two handed sword, but SE gave us this lore and I certainly will play it if the storyline allows for it. I'm enjoying it a lot. There's a great deal of opportunity for the job... Both good and bad. So people will run into all sorts. I wish there wasn't so much "I'm a badass emo kid", but eh... I don't rp with those types so it doesn't really matter to me. Besides if they're enjoying it, more power to them. I'll just go play Dusk (Saikhan) with those who do appreciate the character.

-------

As for Aaron; I didn't go with a typical route of my character's parents' owning the soulstone. I'm still actually trying to work out the very specific reason how she got her's. It's something that still is in development for me, but it's also not immediately necessary for Dusk as she does not talk about how she got her soulstone to begin with; with anyone. She's a very, very private character.

Character development takes, for me anyway, quite a bit of time and bits and pieces fall into place as I rp the character. What I do know is that she doesn't get it through a sudden fight and sudden emotions suddenly happened! And with that in case I don't think you -have- to do it that way. The story is very open for you to create your DRK as you see fit.

Oswin for example is very different than Dusk (who was the apprentice of his father). This is both in personality and in the methods of which they gained their stone.

As for DRK I would not consider them villains but interestingly a 'chaotic good sith' as it were, and in some ways very much batman in aspects. They've certainly been inspired by not only FF4, but Star Wars and "the Dark Knight" as it were. In the end it's really up to you on what you want out of your character.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - -no longer matters- - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 09:30 AM)Aaron Wrote: OK so I have a question that kiiinda relates to the topic.

To the DRK rpers who don't use the typical parent was a DRK or had a soulstone route (by no means am I berating that route) but take the whole um, how can I put this to make sense? The "I have the capacity and emotion to be a DRK but I don't even know what a DRK is or even that I can use emotions to power my body" route. . . did that make sense? Oh well, to those taking that route I'm curious as to

How do you start off such a development to a DRK when your character doesn't even know they have the capacity to be a DRK and won't realize it on their own. Do I have to go the cliche get into a fight and suddenly get so emotional boom DRK powers route? Or can I do a more subtle route like someone else picking up on his capabilities or something?

I'm asking because I'm really thinking about tossing Aaron into the DRK by skill but not through name route as it suits his personality. But I don't want to like go in and suddenly get barraged with questions (even though I know the lore) and think I'm doing it wrong >_>

Because I will openly admit I wanted the Sith to win in Star Wars after I read their lore and thought the guys were the most badass villians I've ever seen in any media.

Doesn't help the DRK attacks slick sound like a light saber .
I think the Class story covers that pretty clearly...
Show Content

In War's case she happened upon her stone. I'll explore that further on my wiki page when I get to that part.

(08-04-2015, 10:00 AM)Foxberry Wrote: I play my DRK as a DRK. It is something that I had considered since I first heard about the class months ago; and as each bit of lore came out I worked extensively on it. When I create a character, I research as much as I can, and I study. For me? Dusk, as she goes by, is not a flavor of the month and she isn't a character that I will abandon in six months, a year, or even longer. I dedicate myself when I make a character. I chose to go with DRK because I enjoy the lore, I have always enjoyed it even since FF4. It is one of my favorite FF's. Because of that I want to do it right.

Same here Foxberry. I've always loved Dark Knights in FF, and hunted down every piece of spoiler info so I could build War perfectly, and was thrilled to find out it was emotionally powered, it made for me at least (and apparently Steel Wolf too XD Though I'm sure we are using different angles.) easy to craft a story that could see this becoming a replacement for a Warrior's Inner Beast.

I am so excited every time I get to sit down and RP War, because I really put a lot of work into her as a character.

(08-04-2015, 10:10 AM)War Siren Wrote: Same here Foxberry. I've always loved Dark Knights in FF, and hunted down every piece of spoiler info so I could build War perfectly, and was thrilled to find out it was emotionally powered, it made for me at least (and apparently Steel Wolf too XD Though I'm sure we are using different angles.) easy to craft a story that could see this becoming a replacement for a Warrior's Inner Beast.

I am so excited every time I get to sit down and RP War, because I really put a lot of work into her as a character.

That's great to hear. I'm glad you enjoy your character and the story. It's a great one. I adore it, I haven't finished it yet but it's such an interesting study on the Id, Ego and SuperEgo.

(08-04-2015, 10:00 AM)Foxberry Wrote: I play my DRK as a DRK. It is something that I had considered since I first heard about the class months ago; and as each bit of lore came out I worked extensively on it. When I create a character, I research as much as I can, and I study. For me? Dusk, as she goes by, is not a flavor of the month and she isn't a character that I will abandon in six months, a year, or even longer. I dedicate myself when I make a character. I chose to go with DRK because I enjoy the lore, I have always enjoyed it even since FF4. It is one of my favorite FF's. Because of that I want to do it right.

Sure I could have gone with a person who uses a large two handed sword, but SE gave us this lore and I certainly will play it if the storyline allows for it. I'm enjoying it a lot. There's a great deal of opportunity for the job... Both good and bad. So people will run into all sorts. I wish there wasn't so much "I'm a badass emo kid", but eh... I don't rp with those types so it doesn't really matter to me. Besides if they're enjoying it, more power to them. I'll just go play Dusk (Saikhan) with those who do appreciate the character.

-------

As for Aaron; I didn't go with a typical route of my character's parents' owning the soulstone. I'm still actually trying to work out the very specific reason how she got her's. It's something that still is in development for me, but it's also not immediately necessary for Dusk as she does not talk about how she got her soulstone to begin with; with anyone. She's a very, very private character.

Character development takes, for me anyway, quite a bit of time and bits and pieces fall into place as I rp the character. What I do know is that she doesn't get it through a sudden fight and sudden emotions suddenly happened! And with that in case I don't think you -have- to do it that way. The story is very open for you to create your DRK as you see fit.

Oswin for example is very different than Dusk (who was the apprentice of his father). This is both in personality and in the methods of which they gained their stone.

As for DRK I would not consider them villains but interestingly a 'chaotic good sith' as it were, and in some ways very much batman in aspects. They've certainly been inspired by not only FF4, but Star Wars and "the Dark Knight" as it were. In the end it's really up to you on what you want out of your character.
Ohh I see what you mean. 

I think I got a good template on what to do for mine then. 

Let the edgy begin! (I'm not serious about the edgy part)

(08-04-2015, 10:22 AM)Aaron Wrote: Ohh I see what you mean. 

War has some really good points here too, actually a lot of people do. It's a great thread full of really interesting thoughts and concepts. If you don't want to be spoiled I'd suggest going through with how Oswin suggested play through 30-50 and see what's all going on. Otherwise you'll have to do a lot of retconning, likely.

(08-04-2015, 10:27 AM)Foxberry Wrote:

War has some really good points here too, actually a lot of people do. It's a great thread full of really interesting thoughts and concepts. If you don't want to be spoiled I'd suggest going through with how Oswin suggested play through 30-50 and see what's all going on. Otherwise you'll have to do a lot of retconning, likely.
Oh i hit 60 DRK 3 days into early access I know the lore lol was just trying to figure out how to add my own flavor to it.

Another thing I would recommend people to is really pay attention to the level 58 Class quest.
Show Content

(08-04-2015, 10:29 AM)Aaron Wrote: Oh i hit 60 DRK 3 days into early access I know the lore lol was just trying to figure out how to add my own flavor to it.

Ah okay! Yeah you can totally add your own flavor on it pretty easily. Everyone doesn't have to be a carbon copy of Fray or the MC. Smile

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Mercer - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 10:33 AM)War Siren Wrote:

Another thing I would recommend people to is really pay attention to the level 58 Class quest.
Show Content

This right here is a very important distinction on the origin of the Dark Knight's powers. The dark powers can be brought out through anger, hate, sadness, suffering but they are not essential. Other emotions can be used as fuel as well, the point is to bridge that gap from the Ego to the Id.

The Void is a complex concept, it's a power source that is created through hate and resentment but can be nurtured through love and compassion. There has to be the violent, powerful separation that splits the soul in two but there also must be the reconciliation of that split and becoming 'whole' again as well. Being a Dark Knight involves a journey that rends a man down to his most base features and then must be built back up again stronger than ever.

In the end the Void is fueled by powerful emotion.  The most common are hatred, anger and suffering but they aren't pure emotions. Compassion for the weak and love for family gives them just as much if not more power because those emotions are essentially bottomless. They do not poison the mind and soul as hate does.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Talon Morrigan - 08-04-2015

Talon was originally intended to be a DRK from the moment he was dreamt up in my head. And ironically his story evolved through rp to support this. As a dark knight, he draws his strength through his emotions not some inner demon or fae that's bound to him, but instead he pulls from a variety of things. His anger at being betrayed and cast aside, his hatred of corrupt politics and the abuse of power, and his fear of not being strong enough to protect those dear to him. 

I was amused to discover after reading a few of the first posts that the "Sith" mindset truly does apply here and with that came the realization that I'd taken on the mentality of my Sith Sorcerer ><.  But hey if the shoe fits, strap that bad boy on and march eh?

Still given Talon's past and the events that have surrounded him, I can happily state that I feel the "Fueled by Emotion" thing can work very well, and provides just as much fodder for rp as a DRK who's "Possessed by a Voidsent".  And for those whom jump aboard the "I hate EMO DARK KNIGHTS"  train all I can say is that I'd much rather be part of a story or rp where my character is painted by who he is and the choices he makes rather than falling back on the "A Voidsent made me do it."  Perhaps it's just me, but I kinda like the idea of being in charge of myself and my char. And when Talon looses it.. it's because situations and events slipped past his ability to control them. And that opens a whole new world of rp opportunities!

(08-04-2015, 11:44 AM)Talon Morrigan Wrote: Talon was originally intended to be a DRK from the moment he was dreamt up in my head. And ironically his story evolved through rp to support this. As a dark knight, he draws his strength through his emotions not some inner demon or fae that's bound to him, but instead he pulls from a variety of things. His anger at being betrayed and cast aside, his hatred of corrupt politics and the abuse of power, and his fear of not being strong enough to protect those dear to him. 

I was amused to discover after reading a few of the first posts that the "Sith" mindset truly does apply here and with that came the realization that I'd taken on the mentality of my Sith Sorcerer ><.  But hey if the shoe fits, strap that bad boy on and march eh?

Still given Talon's past and the events that have surrounded him, I can happily state that I feel the "Fueled by Emotion" thing can work very well, and provides just as much fodder for rp as a DRK who's "Possessed by a Voidsent".  And for those whom jump aboard the "I hate EMO DARK KNIGHTS"  train all I can say is that I'd much rather be part of a story or rp where my character is painted by who he is and the choices he makes rather than falling back on the "A Voidsent made me do it."  Perhaps it's just me, but I kinda like the idea of being in charge of myself and my char. And when Talon looses it.. it's because situations and events slipped past his ability to control them. And that opens a whole new world of rp opportunities!
Exactly! I'm really happy with how this thread turned out. I'm glad there so many of us out there doing the emotionally fueled Dark Knights! *high fives to you all!*

My angst forbids me from high fiving you.

*Dark side aura slowly shows as I sit in the corner with a gloomy anime shadow*

To explain things a bit more with the id, ego and super ego. This is an abridged version of Freud's teachings. While it's not incredibly indepth, it is a good starting point for those who are curious of the id/ego relationship going on here. http://www.simplypsychology.org/psyche.html