Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Sarnai Kha - 08-04-2015

As Julli said earlier, Sarnai is a Dark Knight but from Orthard (which I conveniently refer to the Dark Knights from Orthard as the Ortharian sect)

Her training and existing knowledge of the darkside stays true to the lore as well as her general application of it. The only difference between her and a Dark Knight from Coerthas is while they struggle to suppress and push away their Darkside, she embraces her darkside and trys to completely dominate over it, turning it into her subject rather than a constant threat to her mortal being. Shes still prone to fit's from her darkside however, but it hasnt tried to dominate over her.

The only thing that's different about her is that since shes not from the Coerthas sect of the knights and from the Ortharian sect, their personal and sect code differs quite a bit, which even I wrote it out a bit to define her code a bit since she's from Orthard. Let me pull it out real quick.

(NOTE: This is not a cannon code but something that I personally drafted up which Sarnai largely operates under when going about her daily life as a DRK or dealing with certain situations.)

1. A knight is the true idealization of freedom and the embodiment of defiance. we defy all rules and all codes except the code of the Knight and the individual knights personal code. This is because that we defy and break all rules to right the wrongs that other knights from outside the order are afraid to commit because they are afraid to lose their positions, power and material items in society.
  2. We are justice incarnate. The blade of righteous that cannot be stopped with things such as petty death threats to others or threats to us. Our justice, regardless if it is just or unjust, is absolute and so are our blades, which will destroy all that is in our path to see the justice done.
  3. A knight of the order is by no means meant to share the spotlight and fanfare with warriors of the light. We are warriors of the dark and we wage our fights in the shadow or away from prying eyes, where most cannot see us. Secrecy and anonymity are our best friends. We must hid our existence for those outside of the order are ignorant and cannot understand the true nature of how our power works. Thus, we leave the fanfare to those with shields of light and go about our lives living in the dark. 
  4. If you are discovered by outsiders and are being hunted then members of the order cannot help you lest the order is discovered at large. We all carry the weight of our sins, the defiance of laws, the death of those who got in our way and our actions are things we must all be individually responsible for and own up to when our time comes.
  5. Your sword brothers and sisters are now your true family. Though you may or may not share the same blood as them, you are code mbound to help them if they should ask of your blade to right a wrong that is too big to right by themselves. While you also might not have personal codes that fall in line with each other, you must still honor, respect and help your sword brothers and sisters should they ask.
  6. Never, ever betray your sword brothers and sisters for any reason. To do so is to damn yourself to the deepest and most treacherous place of the seven hell's.
  7. If a brother or sister is overtaken and dominated by their Darkside then they are a beast, no longer a noble knight. Thus they must be killed before they can commit wrongs to the innocents.
  8. Never be afraid to call upon aid from your sword brothers and sisters and even outsiders at times, but be wary of the outsiders, for they are not to be trusted as they are not indoctrinated into the order like us.

As for her personal code, she is planted firmly between Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral. While she likes to help others, she also trys to live a normal life outside of the order, making an honest living.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Mercer - 08-04-2015

(08-04-2015, 12:15 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: As Julli said earlier, Sarnai is a Dark Knight but from Orthard (which I conveniently refer to the Dark Knights from Orthard as the Ortharian sect)

Her training and existing knowledge of the darkside stays true to the lore as well as her general application of it. The only difference between her and a Dark Knight from Coerthas is while they struggle to suppress and push away their Darkside, she embraces her darkside and trys to completely dominate over it, turning it into her subject rather than a constant threat to her mortal being. Shes still prone to fit's from her darkside however, but it hasnt tried to dominate over her.

The only thing that's different about her is that since shes not from the Coerthas sect of the knights and from the Ortharian sect, their personal and sect code differs quite a bit, which even I wrote it out a bit to define her code a bit since she's from Orthard. Let me pull it out real quick.

(NOTE: This is not a cannon code but something that I personally drafted up which Sarnai largely operates under when going about her daily life as a DRK or dealing with certain situations.)

1. A knight is the true idealization of freedom and the embodiment of defiance. we defy all rules and all codes except the code of the Knight and the individual knights personal code. This is because that we defy and break all rules to right the wrongs that other knights from outside the order are afraid to commit because they are afraid to lose their positions, power and material items in society.
  2. We are justice incarnate. The blade of righteous that cannot be stopped with things such as petty death threats to others or threats to us. Our justice, regardless if it is just or unjust, is absolute and so are our blades, which will destroy all that is in our path to see the justice done.
  3. A knight of the order is by no means meant to share the spotlight and fanfare with warriors of the light. We are warriors of the dark and we wage our fights in the shadow or away from prying eyes, where most cannot see us. Secrecy and anonymity are our best friends. We must hid our existence for those outside of the order are ignorant and cannot understand the true nature of how our power works. Thus, we leave the fanfare to those with shields of light and go about our lives living in the dark. 
  4. If you are discovered by outsiders and are being hunted then members of the order cannot help you lest the order is discovered at large. We all carry the weight of our sins, the defiance of laws, the death of those who got in our way and our actions are things we must all be individually responsible for and own up to when our time comes.
  5. Your sword brothers and sisters are now your true family. Though you may or may not share the same blood as them, you are code mbound to help them if they should ask of your blade to right a wrong that is too big to right by themselves. While you also might not have personal codes that fall in line with each other, you must still honor, respect and help your sword brothers and sisters should they ask.
  6. Never, ever betray your sword brothers and sisters for any reason. To do so is to damn yourself to the deepest and most treacherous place of the seven hell's.
  7. If a brother or sister is overtaken and dominated by their Darkside then they are a beast, no longer a noble knight. Thus they must be killed before they can commit wrongs to the innocents.
  8. Never be afraid to call upon aid from your sword brothers and sisters and even outsiders at times, but be wary of the outsiders, for they are not to be trusted as they are not indoctrinated into the order like us.

As for her personal code, she is planted firmly between Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral. While she likes to help others, she also trys to live a normal life outside of the order, making an honest living.

I personally would be cautious about having an Othard order versus Coerthas order considering it's explicitly stated that the first Dark Knight was Ishgardian. I'm sure it's possible that the teaching could have spread to Othard before the closing of Ishgard's gates but having an independent sect kind of messes with established lore.

</assholelorehat>

The actual code you've written though is how Ishgardian knights carry themselves written out in rule form. Every point you make is exactly how a DRK should carry themselves and associate with other DRK.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Thorgar - 08-04-2015

Ive not read very much on Dark Knights, I was going to make it an extension of his Berserker rage.  A bit vague but i plan on filling in the details as i get them lol.

to those of you who know the lore on this better, is that path for Dark Knight workable?

Interesting.

Also, I have had this discussion with people in the Ishgard LS about DRK lore. The first Dark Knight technically had several pupils (otherwise how would there be modern DRK's that we could learn the art from?) and the lore doesn't really say what happens to the pupils, so my head cannon is that one of them left Ishgard and came to Orthard and taught a few Au Ra the trade of the DRK before he passed on, which has been passed down by an unknown few since.

This falls nicely in line with how many Au Ra DRK's there actually are in another LS called Scales of Orthard.

ie: Its a head cannon formed from the number of IC DRK Au Ra's at any rate.

(08-04-2015, 12:37 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: Interesting.

Also, I have had this discussion with people in the Ishgard LS about DRK lore. The first Dark Knight technically had several pupils (otherwise how would there be modern DRK's that we could learn the art from?) and the lore doesn't really say what happens to the pupils, so my head cannon is that one of them left Ishgard and came to Orthard and taught a few Au Ra the trade of the DRK before he passed on, which has been passed down by an unknown few since.

This falls nicely in line with how many Au Ra DRK's there actually are in another LS called Scales of Orthard.

ie: Its a head cannon formed from the number of IC DRK Au Ra's at any rate.

Sounds pretty spot on then, yeah I would say that the ruleset you listed is perfect for any DRK not just Otharian. It makes sense considering the vast number of Au Ra DRK around with the very anti Au Ra attitude of Ishgard.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Virella - 08-04-2015

That said, with a few exceptions, I really do not think there are... I wanted to say many, but I would say, any DRK outside Ishgard. Of course now the questline has opened, there may be apprentices, but even between the Ishgardians I'd imagine they are still well, not overly much so out in the open, seeming /insert questline spoilers.

Same with Astrologians. Sharlayans are /insert questline spoilers. In truth, if you want to go full out with the Astromancy, you either have to been in Sharlayan, or be one yourself. The rest seems all. Well /insert questline spoilers. I really doubt Astrology as the Sharlayans have gotten far out into the world, with the exception of people studying there (and at the end of the questline, in Ishgard, but heck, that's even under x mostly). Heck, Limsa does not even know of Astrologians as shown in the questline, and you would think they would be on top of that with their star map readings and pirates.

Machinist? Magitek gets used everywhere, however Ishgard is the first city state who's actually arming its people in it to use it against their enemies, whereas the rest hasn't shown off as much usage of it (We got firearms in Limsa, obviously, but that ain't magitek). Domans got to awesome opportunity to be super duper awesome at it due to living under Garlean rule (and I guess some Ala Mhigans who fled later on from the city).

Unless a non-Ishgardian (Or Sharlayan in AST case) knows how to AST/DRK super duper well, while their city states have no knowledge of x, I'm going to scratch my head and ask people to rethink their concepts twice if they cannot come up with being someone who travelled to Sharlayan, or having been tutored in Ishgard.

It is the same as Eorzeans being super skilled at being a Ninja, it just makes me scratch my head. Leave that on apprentice level, and to the Doman rpers x_X

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - -no longer matters- - 08-04-2015

Right on Sarnai, I like that explanation a lot!

Another comparison I wanted to make earlier is that the Dark Knights also feel like they could be an order like the Grey Wardens from Dragon Age as well, with having no real government loyalty etc.

(08-04-2015, 12:56 PM)War Siren Wrote: Right on Sarnai, I like that explanation a lot!

Another comparison I wanted to make earlier is that the Dark Knights also feel like they could be an order like the Grey Wardens from Dragon Age as well, with having no real government loyalty etc.

Striking on the point made by Virella as well. There isn't a government loyalty but there IS a loyalty to cause. Dark Knights exist to stomp out the Holy See and Temple Knights. Full stop, that's their goal. Stop their corruption, their manipulation and stop their exploitation. For DRK to leave Ishgard for extended periods of time hampers that goal.

Otharian Dark Knights aren't something I would recommend RPing due to the very confrontational essence of their motivation. That's just me talking about lore though, if it works for you then it works for you.

DRK isnt a trade thats something taught openly though. Its a Dark art of sorts, which most common people who arent indoctrinated into the art, will easily mistake it for void magic or some such.

IE: Its a trade taught in secret, and as I recall. DRK's are not bound tto one place. They are allowed to wander and find diffrent place to fight justice in.

Honestly, DRK's can be from anywhere, provided they have a backstory excuse for it.

(08-04-2015, 12:53 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: That said, with a few exceptions, I really do not think there are... I wanted to say many, but I would say, any DRK outside Ishgard. Of course now the questline has opened, there may be apprentices, but even between the Ishgardians I'd imagine they are still well, not overly much so out in the open, seeming /insert questline spoilers.

Same with Astrologians. Sharlayans are /insert questline spoilers. In truth, if you want to go full out with the Astromancy, you either have to been in Sharlayan, or be one yourself. The rest seems all. Well /insert questline spoilers. I really doubt Astrology as the Sharlayans have gotten far out into the world, with the exception of people studying there (and at the end of the questline, in Ishgard, but heck, that's even under x mostly). Heck, Limsa does not even know of Astrologians as shown in the questline, and you would think they would be on top of that with their star map readings and pirates.

Machinist? Magitek gets used everywhere, however Ishgard is the first city state who's actually arming its people in it to use it against their enemies, whereas the rest hasn't shown off as much usage of it (We got firearms in Limsa, obviously, but that ain't magitek). Domans got to awesome opportunity to be super duper awesome at it due to living under Garlean rule (and I guess some Ala Mhigans who fled later on from the city).

Unless a non-Ishgardian (Or Sharlayan in AST case) knows how to AST/DRK super duper well, while their city states have no knowledge of x, I'm going to scratch my head and ask people to rethink their concepts twice if they cannot come up with being someone who travelled to Sharlayan, or having been tutored in Ishgard.

It is the same as Eorzeans being super skilled at being a Ninja, it just makes me scratch my head. Leave that on apprentice level, and to the Doman rpers x_X
Well with DRKs you do have to remember in the class quests
Show Content
So I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone whose spent time in Coerthas to be a Dark Knight, or even a well half way decently versed one.

RE: Dark Knights (Am I the only one?) - Virella - 08-04-2015

Sarnai: fear we got to agree to disagree then! I'm really a firm believer that the quests are rooted into Ishgard for a reason; and with it being pointed out that the first DRK was found in Ishgard, and taking the knowledge that even AST did not manage to spread to Limsa, I cannot imagine DRK knowledge has spread outside Ishgard/Coerthas. It may be starting to spread now. But going "Hehoooo I'm a DRK from Othard." is stretching the limits a bit too far me personally.

Like I said, its only a head cannon to support all the DRK's from Orthard and to be honest, people are still going to RP what they want to so its better to just accept that the head cannons existence is okay rather than causing a rift in the community. Live and let live I say.

(08-04-2015, 01:07 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Sarnai: fear we got to agree to disagree then! I'm really a firm believer that the quests are rooted into Ishgard for a reason; and with it being pointed out that the first DRK was found in Ishgard, and taking the knowledge that even AST did not manage to spread to Limsa, I cannot imagine DRK knowledge has spread outside Ishgard/Coerthas. It may be starting to spread now. But going "Hehoooo I'm a DRK from Othard." is stretching the limits a bit too far me personally.
Right but whose to say a DRK wasn't in Othard (sp) for X reasons (They do travel.)and fell and his Soul Crystal was discovered by an Au Ra, and that Au Ra
Show Content
then spread the teachings to others.. I mean it's VERY plausible, thanks to the DRK Class quest.

I mean hell War found hers on a corpse frozen in The Coerthas Highlands, and was mostly self trained until she met a man at Camp Dragonhead that trained her. Going from a warrior to a Dark Knight the differences between the Inner Beast and The Darkside aren't that great. It's very plausable a former Warrior could grasp the teachings of a DRK quickly.

(08-04-2015, 01:11 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: Like I said, its only a head cannon to support all the DRK's from Orthard and to be honest, people are still going to RP what they want to so its better to just accept that the head cannons existence is okay rather than causing a rift in the community. Live and let live I say.

I don't think this is a 'rift' kind of issue. As I said previously it's not something I'd recommend but I'm definitely no authority to say what can be or can't be RPed. Do your own thing, discussion is healthy for people to form their own opinions. I most certainly wouldn't ignore you for having your own background/past/lore. Sure there may be conflict, but RP is bred on IC conflict and OOC cooperation.

We're the Dark Knights, take some of the order's rules to heart. Go ahead and let the conflict brew IC, but OOC we're an RP family and should enjoy the conflict that outside the box ideals can bring.

(08-04-2015, 01:20 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 01:11 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: Like I said, its only a head cannon to support all the DRK's from Orthard and to be honest, people are still going to RP what they want to so its better to just accept that the head cannons existence is okay rather than causing a rift in the community. Live and let live I say.

I don't think this is a 'rift' kind of issue. As I said previously it's not something I'd recommend but I'm definitely no authority to say what can be or can't be RPed. Do your own thing, discussion is healthy for people to form their own opinions. I most certainly wouldn't ignore you for having your own background/past/lore. Sure there may be conflict, but RP is bred on IC conflict and OOC cooperation.

We're the Dark Knights, take some of the order's rules to heart. Go ahead and let the conflict brew IC, but OOC we're an RP family and should enjoy the conflict that outside the box ideals can bring.
This is a great post.

But yes, ive RPed with someone who was a Coerthas DRK already and our differences have created a IC rivalry which I think is wonderful OOC.