Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Vallerin Hortimont - 09-21-2015

The wonderful thing about Dark Knights, is I'm the only one!

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Aaron - 09-21-2015

(09-21-2015, 09:34 PM)Vallerin Hortimont Wrote: The wonderful thing about Dark Knights, is I'm the only one!
Someone get this man a goddamn trophy.

I'm legitimately serious about this too. We need more confidence here.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Lost River - 09-21-2015

My character Khorijin is a Dark Knight; she considers herself chosen of Duskmother due to her ability to tap into the negative emotion and channel it through her aether. She with a group of her sisters (Borlaaq Tribe) went exploring with the Kha tribe, ended up in Coerthas behind the wall; was subjected to the whole "They're Draconian monsters" bla bla. And here you go. ^_^

Channeling anger, sadness, and rage into a combative ability through internal and external aether manipulation? Check. Being instilled by the void and using a twisted form of black magic? Nope.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Valde - 09-22-2015

I'm using Dark Knight more representatively of void magic because it's the closest we have to it among the jobs. If I could rock out as a dark mage DPS class you bet your sock monkey I would, but until then I'm a melee caster with a sword.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Sig - 09-24-2015

Secret IC Confessions:
  • When I first conceived of Sigurd while drinking an IPA and listening to obscure french blackgaze music, I had no idea that his emotionally-volatile nature would mesh well with dark knights.  Heavensward had just came out, and I was leveling Sigurd up as a warrior. However, I never cared much for the aesthetic appearance of axes, and the warrior job concept did not match Sigurd's background very well.  Therefore, I decided to level up dark knight for "dat greatsword."  

• Around the time I unlocked dark knight, Sigurd was in the middle of a plot arch where he was confronting a series of terrible emotions and memories he had locked away.  When I unlocked dark knight and played through the quests through level 50, I thought to myself, "geez, this is so ironic -- this emotionally driven dark knight lore is basically the character I've had in mind the whole time, minuses the heavy armor and with some interesting aether powers added."

• I would not consider Sigurd a "dark knight" and bend lore to give his background context and depth.  He borrows emotionally-fueled defensive aether abilities from the dark knight, uses a greatsword clumsily, and does not wear heavy armor most of the time.  I believe most RP'ers bend dark knight lore, given its ambiguity, to bring an individuality to their character.  This is a great thing. 

• Most dark knights I've met in game have been very moody and angsty.  I'd also like to meet some more emotionally-driven, affable dark knights.    

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Hour - 09-25-2015

If I ever find a Dark knight inspired by Guts from Berserk I will first cack my pants. Second, be the happiest man on earth, it's a shame not too many people pick up inspiration from that series.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Sarnai Kha - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 12:21 AM)Hour Wrote: If I ever find a Dark knight inspired by Guts from Berserk I will first cack my pants. Second, be the happiest man on earth, it's a shame not too many people pick up inspiration from that series.
Not everyone can be the level of DRK that guts has going on.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Lost River - 09-25-2015

Guts level of DRK is insane. . . also needs more grimdark + gay rivalry tension. And +mandragora.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - SicketySix - 09-25-2015

I have yet to gain access to Ishgard (hopefully tonight) so I do not know much lore wise about the Dark Knight, but once I do I'm assuming I will actually RP as one and be fueled by emotions.

I have a story arc in mind, but I'm not sure it'd work without knowing more of the Dark Knight.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Aaron - 09-25-2015

A few of my ls friends have taken to calling DRK the crybaby class.

Dunno why. We just found it funny and now we joke about it XD.

*Cries as hes a DRK*

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Vyce - 09-25-2015

To those who think emotional power is dumb, remember that you are calling the core theme of a Beserker class dumb. Beserkers are thematically blinded by anger/rage/insanity. They go Hulk and don't look back (until they hurt someone they love). Playing a canon BLK is a great idea because your personal struggles are going to be visceral and powerful battles with your own mind. Being a voidsent? No one cares.

I thought about this for a bit and being a Dark Knight is actually kind of tragic in itself, since you cant live a normal life anymore. The Darkside urges would make it impossible to live a stable normal life outside of battle because it will constantly urge you to do things like kill, spill blood, etc. The Darkside urges differ on an individual basis from Dark Knight to Dark knight. Some urges are completely unexpected, but a Darkside outside of battle makes a normal life near impossible.

I call Sarnai the Ortharian Dark Knight, and the way I play it, I try to stick with the lore representation of it, but with my own twist. Basically, she can sense other Darksides and the void, the sooner being cannon that DRK's can sense each other and the former being added onto that because the Darkside senses malevolent intentions or the dark nature of others, which the void often has these aspects.

I also play her as a ritualist that uses blood magic and rituals to enhance her power temporarily, divine things, etc.

In short, she plays as if she was a witch archtype, but wearing heavy/light armor and a greatsword.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Smagon - 09-25-2015

This makes me wonder, can a person that fully embraces their negative aspect have a darkside? Let's say someone admits to themselves that they are a killer, they enjoy killing, and they are not going to stop killing anytime soon. For the sake of this example, let's also assume that this man is also able to keep his urges in check until an "appropriate" time. Would this man have a darkside? Is denying the negative aspect of yourself a prerequisite to having a darkside? What kind of person has the capability of of developing a darkside? Is who gets a magical power based on it entirely random or is there a specific "way" that it can develop in anyone?

In order to gain a Darkside, you need to be exposed to a Fallen Dark knights soulstone or indoctrinated into the Darkside.

As seen in the class quests, the WoL is exposed to the soul stone, while Sidguru is an indoctrinated DRK.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - SicketySix - 09-25-2015

(09-25-2015, 02:32 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: In order to gain a Darkside, you need to be exposed to a Fallen Dark knights soulstone or indoctrinated into the Darkside.

As seen in the class quests, the WoL is exposed to the soul stone, while Sidguru is an indoctrinated DRK.
I understand how the soulstones work, but what about the indoctrination.
Is there any info on how it's done?