Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? (/showthread.php?tid=12824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Smagon - 10-21-2015

So what I'm getting out of this (and a few other threads) is that the dark side was a unique thing that only happened to the first dark knight. Maybe it was genetics or something but whatever the case, no one else would be able to naturally develop a dark side and would have to pull it out manually via soul stone or being taught by another dark knight. On top of that, the dark knight style of magic would be unique to Eorzea and would not be seen anywhere else in the world because the only way to gain those powers is to be taught by another dark knight, and to be taught you would have to join their order of batmen, which would likely root you in Ishgard and the surrounding areas.

Just trying to clarify for my own sake so I know if some retconning needs to be done on my part.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - -no longer matters- - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 04:00 PM)Smagon Wrote: So what I'm getting out of this (and a few other threads) is that the dark side was a unique thing that only happened to the first dark knight. Maybe it was genetics or something but whatever the case, no one else would be able to naturally develop a dark side and would have to pull it out manually via soul stone or being taught by another dark knight. On top of that, the dark knight style of magic would be unique to Eorzea and would not be seen anywhere else in the world because the only way to gain those powers is to be taught by another dark knight, and to be taught you would have to join their order of batmen, which would likely root you in Ishgard and the surrounding areas.

Just trying to clarify for my own sake so I know if some retconning needs to be done on my part.
Unless you get self taught by the crystal which is essentially what happens in the class quests 30-50.

Show Content
That said you'd probably have to have a metric ton of aether like the WoL to do that, also who says you can't give the finger to the order and leave after your training?

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Vitamin C - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 04:00 PM)Smagon Wrote: So what I'm getting out of this (and a few other threads) is that the dark side was a unique thing that only happened to the first dark knight. Maybe it was genetics or something but whatever the case, no one else would be able to naturally develop a dark side and would have to pull it out manually via soul stone or being taught by another dark knight. On top of that, the dark knight style of magic would be unique to Eorzea and would not be seen anywhere else in the world because the only way to gain those powers is to be taught by another dark knight, and to be taught you would have to join their order of batmen, which would likely root you in Ishgard and the surrounding areas.

The first DRK didn't initially have it. Darkness (The Abyss) is inside of everyone, Fray says this himself. It's Dark Knights that apply themselves (or have a soul crystal) that can harness the darkness within. It's not genetics. It's aether. This form of Dark Knights is unique to Ishgard as far as Eorzeans know, but there's nothing explicitly stating it couldn't have existed anywhere else, because being a dark knight is a philosophy that incites the power, not a 'literal' class unless you can actually channel the abyss.

However, yes, to be taught you'd have to learn from an Ishgardian that is one, loot a crystal from a dead body, or be so into being a knight that you go full murder-batman (I guess that'd be the Punisher) that you develop the power of your own accord while being fucked in the process.

I'm sure there are other ways, but it takes creativity and a lot of strict attentiveness to the lore that is presented until more comes out (probably with the zodiac questline.)

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - PhantasticPanda - 10-21-2015

I wouldn't say it was genetics or unique to the first dark knight. Remember that Dark Knight is simply a title since a dark knight just refers to a knight without allegiance or affiliation to a noble house or such. Think of it like Free Paladins. Though it appears that Dark Knight now extends to those taught the same art as the first dark knight was.

I mean, every branch of magic starts somewhere right? And there's off-shoots of them as well. It just needs the appropriate introspection, meditation, and one's ability to manipulate/use the aether that naturally occurs in the world. I find Dark Knight magic similar (but not the same) to Thaumaturgy. Both uses the same basic principle of channeling one's internal aether then shaping it into a desired form though a dark knight's magic appears to be shaped by and formed to and by one's emotions. It just so happens that the first master originated from Ishgard (but when? Ishgard is 1000 years old) and that type of magic slowly became more widespread (though still secretive due to its destructive and questionable nature. Akin to how black magic is kept within a secret order of mages.).

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Smagon - 10-21-2015

To clarify, yeah that's what I was talking about. The style of magic rather than the dark knight title. I wasn't really sure what to call it so I just called it by the class name.

RE: [Spoilers] Dark Knights, Am I the Only One? - Rufus Wightman - 11-05-2015

(10-21-2015, 04:08 PM)Vitamin C Wrote:

The first DRK didn't initially have it. Darkness (The Abyss) is inside of everyone, Fray says this himself. It's Dark Knights that apply themselves (or have a soul crystal) that can harness the darkness within. It's not genetics. It's aether. This form of Dark Knights is unique to Ishgard as far as Eorzeans know, but there's nothing explicitly stating it couldn't have existed anywhere else, because being a dark knight is a philosophy that incites the power, not a 'literal' class unless you can actually channel the abyss.

However, yes, to be taught you'd have to learn from an Ishgardian that is one, loot a crystal from a dead body, or be so into being a knight that you go full murder-batman (I guess that'd be the Punisher) that you develop the power of your own accord while being fucked in the process.

I'm sure there are other ways, but it takes creativity and a lot of strict attentiveness to the lore that is presented until more comes out (probably with the zodiac questline.)

Oh, hello there. I just thought I would stop in quickly to point out that during the DRK quests, Fray points out that using DRK powers is not in fact the use of aether. He says it's "like weaving aether" or something along those lines, but not. I guess? Unless you're just talking about the crystal specifically. In which case, I'unno.

It's easier to acquaint DRKs with the Sith, only with more tangible results from their negative emotions, from what we've been able to see.

Honestly? This whole situation would be easier to gauge if Square did even the slightest explaining of what Soul Crystals were made of, and where they're made. As far as I know, anyway, it's not been explained. Part of me wants to justify it by saying that if a person has reached the height of their martial knowledge in any given branch, or experiences a strong rush of emotion, it can crystallize, therein conferring additional strength and abilities to the one it's bonded to. And they're subsequently passed down from master to student, or something along those lines.