Hydaelyn Role-Players
Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan (/showthread.php?tid=12895)

Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - Eratika - 08-07-2015

In doing my research for my character backstory, I found out that Highbridge was built after he calamity. In your opinion, how long after do you think construction started and how long to finish?

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - ɴᴘᴄ - 08-07-2015

No solid numbers here, but I would imagine functional infrastructure would be critical to rebuilding. Trade would suffer serious setbacks with major routes out of commission, especially disconcerting for the Ul'dahn cartels. They probably had ready bodies immediately, but materials may have taken longer to secure and transport (unless they simply conjured all the hewn stone). My guess is planning would have occurred within a month after, construction probably around three months after, completion with magicks and round-the-clock crews nine to twelve months after.

Someone probably has a better idea/source though.

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - Eratika - 08-07-2015

I was thinking along the same things. Though, I asked the same question in my LS and someone brought up the idea that a rope bridge was probably used to get from one side of the chasm to the other as the bridge itself was being constructed and in the earlier days after the Calamity to get people across. I like this idea, it sounds feasible and will use it as part of my background history.  (Her tribe lived along the Yugr'am River in Wellwick Wood before the calamity and after they would have been cut off from the rest of Thanalan and ultimately from Ul'dah.. which is where I want her to end up instead of heading towards the Shroud.))

I'd still like to hear others thoughts on this as well.

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - Sounsyy - 08-07-2015

I couldn't find a specific timeframe, but Sightseeing Lore says it was the Syndicate's first priority. So, with their money and resources, I imagine the project was complete within a few months to half a year? Maybe? I'm not sure how long it takes to build a bridge.

Quote:Sightseeing #20 - Highbridge
After the Calamity rent eastern Thanalan asunder, one of the first projects commissioned by the Syndicate was the construction of a bridge to span the newly formed chasm and restore the trade route with lands transpontine. The city which has sprung up along its edges is populated almost solely by scholars investigating the nearby ruins of the Invisible City.

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - Melkire - 08-07-2015

For a real world reference, Eads Bridge took seven years to complete. Considering it spans the Mississippi River, though, it's of significantly greater length than Highbridge as depicted in FFXIV. Furthermore, design, planning, and construction of Eads Bridge was plagued with political and financial difficulties that stalled its construction for a time.

Highbridge likely took a couple of cycles (years) to complete. Maybe more, maybe less. I doubt it took the full five years post-Calamity, though, considering the local population that sprouted up around it. Those people seem to have been there some time as of the start of 2.0 (see: nearby buildings of Ul'dahn construction, etc.).

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-07-2015

Well, the romans could push out a bridge with suprising efficiency. Ul'dah is a premodern society with a modern economy and industrial base. They would have no problem building a bridge like high bridge in under a year, so long as the money kept flowing.

This bridge in Spain was built by the romans in about two years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alc%C3%A1ntara_Bridge

It was at the edge of the empire though, so a place like highbridge, close to Ul'dah would likely be built more quickly.

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - arkamas - 08-09-2015

As for construction time, it should not be forgotten that magic exists as well. I dont know exactly how it could be used to aid construction, but I'd be willing to wager that it could.

RE: Highbridge in Eastern Thanalan - Kellach Woods - 08-09-2015

We also cannot forget that synthesis might be more efficient than the RL methods of that era.