Hydaelyn Role-Players
Out of Story? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Out of Story? (/showthread.php?tid=12922)

Out of Story? - Melodia - 08-10-2015

So...I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I am at a dead end, a brick wall. I feel like I don't know what to do with my character. Like I've run out of stuff to rp with her. She's a mess, and I've been eyeing the fantasia in my inventory more and more lately. I admit, she's tarnished and that's my own doing, but I am feeling more and more cornered on what to do with her anymore and it's getting harder to log in to even rp with her anymore as a result. Has anyone been through this? I just feel completely lost with what to do with Melodia anymore.

RE: Out of Story? - Steel Wolf - 08-10-2015

I have neared this point with Steel on more than a few occasions.

One of my first ideas is to poke friends for help. I had approached a good in-game (and now becoming out-of-game) friend of mine with my trepidation about Steel, and he came up with some ideas and thoughts on how to turn her around in my head. It's done wonders.

I have also suggest resolving at least a few of those character conflicts, either in-game or in journal entries/headcanon. Not every part of a character's story must be told in the game itself--a reality I'm personally becoming more acclimated to myself. You have the added bonus of being a really good writer. And as full as flaws make a character, victories make them just as multi-faceted.

Finally, if none of this provides help or comfort, then go ahead and chug that bottle. RP should be fun. You should like the feel of that character's shoes. And if it is genuinely causing you stress, then cut it from your life. The beauty of roleplay is we have a reset button on a life ill-lived.

I hope this all helps because, even though we have not interacted very much in-game, I do find you an endearing part of my digital life, and care that you have fun. <3

RE: Out of Story? - Kage - 08-10-2015

Hmm, I may be biased but...

Perhaps you just need time away from Melodia? Or perhaps her story has been told? You're not required to continue to RP one character's story after all. Maybe you don't need to use that fantasia, or maybe it'd be fun for you to do so!

It's ok to take a break from RP or especially so, taking a break from a specific character.

RE: Out of Story? - Berrod Armstrong - 08-10-2015

Filler arc! Beach episode! Or...

...write an in character introspective piece that allows her to recognize what's gone wrong -- it'll give you basis and the character motivation to start resolving those little problems one at a time!

But yeah, even if you're not up for the introspective -- a beach episode might do wonders for getting you back into the character's shoes.

Failing all that, take a break from the character, or from roleplay for a bit! Work on PvE or PvP stuff, complete some quests, get some stuff...everyone needs a break sometimes!

RE: Out of Story? - K'nahli - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 09:41 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Filler arc! Beach episode! Or...

...write an in character introspective piece that allows her to recognize what's gone wrong -- it'll give you basis and the character motivation to start resolving those little problems one at a time!

But yeah, even if you're not up for the introspective -- a beach episode might do wonders for getting you back into the character's shoes.

Failing all that, take a break from the character, or from roleplay for a bit! Work on PvE or PvP stuff, complete some quests, get some stuff...everyone needs a break sometimes!

My characters do not deserve a..... beach episode(*laughing a lot*)..... but I have to say that reading your post has really tempted me into thinking up some fluff RP!

In any case, I would agree that some time away would do some good, but also ask around as others have suggested and see if you can put your heads together to create something new and exciting - if continuing with Melodia is what you truly want.

RE: Out of Story? - Aaron - 08-10-2015

Whenever I feel like I hit a brick wall, I just leave the game for two weeks. (Done it twice so far, once last year and recently this year)

When I come back anything I was down about I wounded up forgetting. You could also try a new character. But imo it's not the character that gives you the feeling it's just that you might need a little breather.

RE: Out of Story? - LadyRochester - 08-10-2015

Hey! I was in the same spot a few months ago. When my character was so psychologically messed up that she realistically didn't have the energy to do anything and I was out of plots.

My advice?

Roleplay with friends and look for connections. If you don't have something going on, someone else probably does, and most people are more than open to taking your character into their plot. This leads to potential growth of the character, and once they are back on their feet, coming up with plots becomes much easier.

Get out of your comfort zone, it helps. Smile

RE: Out of Story? - -no longer matters- - 08-10-2015

My personal suggestion when faced in that situation.

Play supporting character to your friends. Make their story more important, and kind of embrace it, not only does this give you RP, it gives you time to recharge your own batteries and come up with new angles of your own.

Like right now, Everything I'm doing on War is supporting roles. I have some stories of my own, but I'm not ready to tell them. This gives me more time to fine tune, but not be RP starved.

RE: Out of Story? - Kaiz - 08-10-2015

Make some new connections!  Get involved in a storyline outside the norm. Shake things up a bit.

RE: Out of Story? - Asmodean - 08-10-2015

(08-10-2015, 10:17 AM)War Siren Wrote: My personal suggestion when faced in that situation.

Play supporting character to your friends. Make their story more important, and kind of embrace it, not only does this give you RP, it gives you time to recharge your own batteries and come up with new angles of your own.

Like right now, Everything I'm doing on War is supporting roles. I have some stories of my own, but I'm not ready to tell them. This gives me more time to fine tune, but not be RP starved.

This is the best way to go about things. IF you still can't get past that wall take a break of a week or so and if that doesn't help then do it. RP is meant to be fun and taxing.

RE: Out of Story? - Melodia - 08-11-2015

I did a lot of thinking and reading yesterday and appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think I found a way to keep going. *Points to the bulletin board.* Haha....I think I found it. Thank you all for the thoughts and encouragement. Smile