Hydaelyn Role-Players
On the topic of "teleporting" in RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: On the topic of "teleporting" in RP (/showthread.php?tid=12992)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

On the topic of "teleporting" in RP - Lilia Lia - 08-14-2015

Lately I've been tempted to completely drop "Aetheryte Travel" from my canon.  I've been RPing with a group that takes physical location pretty seriously and I've been enjoying how it makes the world feel bigger and make faraway locations actually feel far away.  I realize teleporting is referred to in the MSQ but I don't like the idea so I just want to remove it from my own headcanon.

Anyone else feel the same way?  What is the general consensus?  Anyone tried this and found it made life difficult for them?

[Edit]

For the benefit of new replies who aren't reading the entire thread, Sin's post has already convinced me to take more of a middle ground here, but I'm still interested in comments on the practical problems created by teleportation and how player characters cope with those.

I changed the subject line of this post to reflect that also.  Not quite going to completely disregard teleportation in RP but I'm also going to accept other reasons not to use it frivolously and not to take it lightly.

I also didn't mean to imply that I would refuse to acknowledge other people teleporting, I was just wanting to try to remove it from my own RP and that still seems feasible given that most characters I've RPed with simply don't really talk about it all that much and seem happy to just resort to alternative means.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Blue - 08-14-2015

I would say that removing it from canon is a stretch, you can't decide to take something that is legitimately existing in the settings from others and say they can't do it anymore or that your character will not acknowledge them doing it. But you are very free to not use IC.

Travel, no matter the speed, should always be taken seriously. Clothes need to be changed, you need to inform yourself on the weather of where you are about to go, consider the time to get there (especially in teleportation, sudden thermal drops or jumps could make you ill), and how long you will be staying, and where to stay as well. It needs a lot of thought, whether you teleport or not.

So a group in Ishgard that suddenly decides to go to the beach? Eh, okay, I wouldn't but you can, but take some time to prepare for travel, and also prepare for inconveniences that could not allow you to come back home as soon as you wanted.

In 1.0 aether teleport was a lot stricter (I think only IC Grand Company members could use it, or something of the sort). Now it's not, and everyone can do it.. to remove it from canon sounds like really too much.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Sylentmana - 08-14-2015

Here is my thoughts on the matter. To me, teleportation has always been the domain of mages and other heavy magic users. While IC with a mage, teleportation is a perfectly acceptable method of travel. However, when playing a non-mage type, I prefer more conventional methods of travel as it just doesn't make sense that a swordsman or lancer would have the ability.

Even in the MSQ, the only characters we see actively teleporting are magic users. Because of this, I feel my preference is justified.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Oli! - 08-14-2015

Various methods I have seen people use to avoid teleporting ICly, while still acknowledging its existence:

-- Not enough internal aether.

-- It gives you travel sickness.

-- Too expensive.

-- Fear of accidents / Questioning reliability

-- "I haven't been there yet."

-- Religious concerns (Oschon might think Aetheryte is cheating.)

-- Wanting to see the world.

-- Carrying goods / pets / objects that don't respond well to teleportation.

-- The fear that literally being broken down into magic and transported to another physical location will cause serious health concerns / turn you into the Fly.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Sin - 08-14-2015

Show Content

With that information in hand, I don't roleplay it as all or nothing, I roleplay it as varying degrees.

My mage character teleports like riding a bike, without even breaking a sweat. A perk of being a mage and manipulating aether for years. My more martial character can do it, only once in a while... maybe once a week, but it takes a huge toll, and leaves him barfing all over the place. He hates it. And worse still, my tribal Miqo'te has no idea what that fancy technology is, and simply can't do it.

I'm like you in that I think easy use of Aetherytes cheapens the world, but outright cutting it out of your headcanon is a bit extreme. Try making it much harder in your headcanon first, and see how that works... Like a skill, that must be practiced and most people just don't know how, and can't do it effectively. Make it take a huge toll on your body to the point where its preferable to just take a ferry or ride that chocobo across the beautiful world. Smile

You have options before straight up slicing it right out. I think there's something interesting to Aetherytes, and they really remind me of Mass Relays from Mass Effect.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Edda - 08-14-2015

I do not think teleportation is something that should be ignored in roleplay at all. Unlike fantasia potions, the ability to teleport is referenced in the MSQ and is based in the lore of the game. Otherwise, what purpose would aetherytes serve, or would those have to be ignored as well? Hand-waving the ability to teleport is one thing, but the purpose and existence of massive structures seems like it would be more of a stretch in lore than quietly acknowledging that teleportation is a thing that exists.

However, I do not think that teleportation is something that should be freely used on a whim. Edda is quite skilled at teleportation, but I have used it in RP a grand total of two times in the course of over a year. Teleporting endlessly, using it to "blink" small distances during combat, using it to traverse impossibly long distances (i.e. from Garlemald to Vylbrand) - all of these are liberal uses of the skill that I would not likely appreciate. It should also be noted that not everyone and their grandmothers are able to teleport, otherwise airships, boats, and chocobos would not really be a thing. It is an ability that must be honed, and there are side-effects that come with it.

All in all, while I do think conventional travel is far more preferable, teleportation is not something that should be ignored. You don't have to roleplay it, you don't even have to like it - but it is a part of the world. Much like miqo'te, and gunblades.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Lilia Lia - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 11:28 AM)Blue Wrote: I would say that removing it from canon is a stretch, you can't decide to take something that is legitimately existing in the settings from others and say they can't do it anymore or that your character will not acknowledge them doing it. But you are very free to not use IC.

I guess my main issue is that so much of the world doesn't make sense if teleportation happens and is simply twice the cost of an airship ticket.  Why would passenger travel by airship even exist and not be completely obsolete?  Why would chocobos exist for individual use outside of transporting goods?  How would prisons work?  Would it even be possible to detain people at all?  When I think of hypothetical RP situations relevant to my character or even her backstory, the reality of teleportation would make it much different.  For instance, part of her backstory involves being stranded somewhere, and being stranded is theoretically impossible in a world where teleportation exists.

To me it seems like one of those game mechanics that's not meant to actually have a real effect on the world.  A world where people can instantaneously teleport across the globe would be very different from the world we know, and from the Eorzea we see.  It's almost like saying that I can carry 25 suits of armour around with me at all times IC.  Yes it's a game mechanic but, story thing?  Really?  And while I realize it's specifically acknowledged in the MSQ, it also seems kind of like the world mostly carries on as though teleportation either doesn't exist or is somehow inconvenient or difficult.

(EDIT - Scrolling up to Sin's post, I see the Lore team has addressed all of this, so, I guess that satisfies me of the reality of teleportation and that a fraction of people can use it... but that also makes me feel even more justified in being able to say that my character cannot do it.)

Anyways, even though it's commonplace in gameplay, I actually rarely see people actually using it in the course of their RP, so I should be able to safely disregard it as an option in situations where I'd like for travel to actually be difficult.  And no, "I better put on a sweater b/c it's cold in Dragonhead" is not what I mean.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - -no longer matters- - 08-14-2015

I almost always say Teleports are OOC, and long distance travel I claim to go by Airship.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Berrod Armstrong - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 11:39 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote:
(08-14-2015, 11:28 AM)Blue Wrote: I would say that removing it from canon is a stretch, you can't decide to take something that is legitimately existing in the settings from others and say they can't do it anymore or that your character will not acknowledge them doing it. But you are very free to not use IC.

I guess my main issue is that so much of the world doesn't make sense if teleportation happens and is simply twice the cost of an airship ticket.  Why would passenger travel by airship even exist and not be completely obsolete?  Why would chocobos exist for individual use outside of transporting goods?  How would prisons work?  Would it even be possible to detain people at all?  When I think of hypothetical RP situations relevant to my character or even her backstory, the reality of teleportation would make it much different.  For instance, part of her backstory involves being stranded somewhere, and being stranded is theoretically impossible in a world where teleportation exists.

To me it seems like one of those game mechanics that's not meant to actually have a real effect on the world.  A world where people can instantaneously teleport across the globe would be very different from the world we know, and from the Eorzea we see.  It's almost like saying that I can carry 25 suits of armour around with me at all times IC.  Yes it's a game mechanic but, story thing?  Really?  And while I realize it's specifically acknowledged in the MSQ, it also seems kind of like the world mostly carries on as though teleportation either doesn't exist or is somehow inconvenient or difficult.

Also, even though it's commonplace in gameplay, I actually rarely see people actually using it in the course of their RP, so I should be able to safely disregard it as an option in situations where I'd like for travel to actually be difficult.  And no, "I better put on a sweater b/c it's cold in Dragonhead" is not what I mean.
Sin covered it in his post.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Oli! - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 11:39 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote: I guess my main issue is that so much of the world doesn't make sense if teleportation happens and is simply twice the cost of an airship ticket.  Why would passenger travel by airship even exist and not be completely obsolete?  Why would chocobos exist for individual use outside of transporting goods?  How would prisons work?  Would it even be possible to detain people at all?

Sin's post has the information you need as far as these points go, I believe. Most people just can't cast teleportation skills all the time.

If you tried to teleport out of jail, I'm pretty sure the guards that take your money would slap you and send you back.

Or they could just jump into your cell and tackle you during the ten seconds or whatever it takes for you to cast it in the first place.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 11:28 AM)Blue Wrote: In 1.0 aether teleport was a lot stricter (I think only IC Grand Company members could use it, or something of the sort). Now it's not, and everyone can do it.. to remove it from canon sounds like really too much.

Annoying 1.0 player here. Aetherytes were in each of the cities and I never made it far enough to join a Grand Company. That said, aethernet didn't exist when I started in 1.0 (around the 1.20 patches), which made trying to navigate Limsa Lominsa certain cities absolutely horrible. When the aethernet was released, you needed to get some special token to unlock it, which I never did.

But travel by Aether was also quite different back then. First, one didn't pay gil to travel. (That would have been WAY too easy). We got this special currency called Anima, which regenerated very slowly over time. Think....slower than waiting for new levequest allowances. Anima was described as almost a sort of hardiness to travel by aether. More anima = more travel = longer distances. Adventurers, in their super-awesome "we do this all the time and we're pretty aetherically well-practised" naturally had more anima than your average city person. (And Garleans had no anima because.....well, it's basically manipulating aether).

But post-Calamity, the old aetherytes kinda broke and new ones had to be brought in and set up (which is why we never got one in Vesper Bay). Expensive Sharlayan technology is used these days, as opposed to the more "natural" ones previously. Hopefully Sounsyy can elaborate in much better words than I.

--

Oli brings up some excellent reasons for why someone may not want to use it in the post-2.0 world!

I would consider it too much a stretch to say that Teleportation doesn't exist when we see it in cutscenes, literally USE IT to fight Shiva (yes, that's the WoL, yes, the circumstances were weird, no, it worked the same way aside from the attunement issue), and the guards in ever city explain how teleportation works and why it costs gil now.

If your character (or group of characters) doesn't like aetherial travel, there are plenty of other ways to get around!

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Lilia Lia - 08-14-2015

So to shift gears a little bit, how inconvenient is it for most people?  "A fraction of people can use it habitually" because the recast time "varies" is pretty vague.  I still don't see why airships would exist if everyone could only teleport once a week, for example, except for people who need to travel between city states several times in a week.  In order for that level of infrastructure and for travel by chocobo to still be relevant, I'd say most people would find teleporting to either be very uncomfortable, very risky, or very rarely available to them. 

The reason I'm asking this question is mostly to gauge how other people view teleportation.  Can your character teleport every day?  Multiple times a day?  Do you actually RP it having an adverse physical impact on your body?

Also curious whether anyone plays a character who simply cannot teleport.

(08-14-2015, 11:53 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote: So to shift gears a little bit, how inconvenient is it for most people?  "A fraction of people can use it habitually" because the recast time "varies" is pretty vague.  I still don't see why airships would exist if everyone could only teleport once a week, for example, except for people who teleport several times in a week.  In order for that level of infrastructure and for travel by chocobo to still be relevant, I'd say most people would find teleporting to either be very uncomfortable, very risky, or very rarely available to them. 

Adventurers (otherwise known as Us) are like, 2% to 5% of Eorzea's population or whatever. We get to be special.

Every Tom Dick and Harry putzing about in cities and around the world could probably teleport like, once a month, accompanied by extensive puking or whatever else happens when people try to teleport and get sick.

It's also noted that anima, the life-force, is needed to teleport. This means all physical goods must be transported through physical space, because objects are not alive. That alone gives substantial reason for boats, airships, and chocobo carts to exist.

To make it more personal, Oliwat can teleport all the time because he's a wizard, but usually doesn't because he's also an explorer, and teleporting would defeat the point. Adalhaid does not because she's broke and a slave to debt.

As an afterthought, a good analog for thinking about how something that would seemingly see such little use would still be a service is Airplane travel. Some people might travel by airplane once a year. Some might travel once a month. A small amount of people might travel every day, or every few days. In this case, it isn't the frequency of use of any one group of people, but the sheer number of people using the service collectively that make it profitable. Less expensive or less uncomfortable methods (chocobos, airships, etc.) would therefore still see use. Chocobo and Airship Travel are to Aetheryte Teleportation as Bus and Rail transportation are to Flight. Additionally, Aetheryte, like Flight, can only take you to very specific, already-established places where extensive infrastructure already exists. Chocobos and Buses can just drop you off at whatever backstreet you need to get to. That's another advantage for them.

We, the Adventurers, are the Frequent Flyers with like a million bonus miles or whatever. Normal townsfolk are the Average Joes that might travel twice a year to visit their family or whatever.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Sylentmana - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 11:53 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote: So to shift gears a little bit, how inconvenient is it for most people?  "A fraction of people can use it habitually" because the recast time "varies" is pretty vague.  I still don't see why airships would exist if everyone could only teleport once a week, for example, except for people who need to travel between city states several times in a week.  In order for that level of infrastructure and for travel by chocobo to still be relevant, I'd say most people would find teleporting to either be very uncomfortable, very risky, or very rarely available to them. 

The reason I'm asking this question is mostly to gauge how other people view teleportation.  Can your character teleport every day?  Multiple times a day?  Do you actually RP it having an adverse physical impact on your body?

Also curious whether anyone plays a character who simply cannot teleport.

My character Cecilia is a mage and teleports as often and easily as breathing since she has practice manipulating aether and has very extensive personal aether reserves. My character Ryoko is a lancer from Doma and has no experience with aether manipulation. She can teleport occasionally but it leaves her feeling woozy and sick to her stomach for about 30 min. As a result she hates it.

RE: Thinking of removing "teleporting" entirely from my RP canon - Caspar - 08-14-2015

Virara cannot consciously manipulate aether herself and as such requires aid from other, normal people to use the aetheryte. Even then it makes her feel ill and sometimes she pops up at the wrong place or a short distance into the air. It's not strictly impossible for her to teleport per se, it would just be prohibitively risky.