Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. (/showthread.php?tid=13030)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Warren Castille - 09-01-2015

(08-31-2015, 07:35 PM)Anthony Valron Wrote: One of the major issues is that he's not an exile, he's not Haurchefant 2.0, or a heretic. He's a serious, law-abiding (for the most part), Ishgardian nobleman.

It's a turn off to many RPers who don't want to prove themselves ICly, because Anthony will be cold, he will be distant, and he'll even be rude to those he doesn't know.

This topic has been breached in the past by multiple people having the same issue. Roleplay is a collaborative venture, and while there's nothing inherently wrong with playing someone who's stand-offish or offensive, one also has to consider our own impact on our impromptu partners. If it's completely IC for your character to be rude to someone simply based on perceived social status, you can safely rule out majority of the playerbase from wanting to associate with you.

This attitude's come up before: You sound like you want to be engaged, but it also sounds like you're putting the entire onus of interaction on the hypothetical people you're trying to court here. In so many words, your OP doesn't say "I'm looking for people to RP with me," it says "My character will require hours of effort to be fun around, and I'm looking for investors."

RE: [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Spethah - 09-01-2015

(08-31-2015, 07:29 PM)Leggerless Wrote: Here's the RP:
1. Go to the Quicksand.
2. Bring a vanilla cake with you.
3. Sit down at a table. If you do it during the prime time hours, you're bound to have at least 20-30 people there, waiting for something to talk about.
4. Eat that cake like you're making love in a sweet ERP scene. Get creative, show off your syntax, diction, emotion, parallelism, and all that stuff English majors go crazy for. The world is your oyster. Own it.
5. Make sure this is done in /say or /em. Doing it privately defeats the entire purpose.
6. If people don't start walking up to you after a display of epic proportions greater than the Grindstone flex-off, then you can come back to RPC and start seeking out RP connections once more. You did what you could; that's what counts. If however, you do get people engaging you ICly after such a display? Break the ice. Establish a contact. Start RPing. Make some new connections and get a fancy rumor on your wiki page.

On a more serious note though: Hit me up in-game if you want to try something.

instructions unclear dick is stuck in fan

Attempted this to the point someone could confuse it for an old M&S advert, received nothing but three tells asking if I was trying to ERP with the food and was asked to stop. I wouldn't say it's a viable method but I did get more attention that when I was RPing me waiting for someone or eating something in far less questionable way.

The ad in question (Since attempting to link it just puts up the vid anyway):
[youtube]EHFKE6PD_6U[/youtube]

(09-01-2015, 12:04 PM)Spethah Wrote: instructions unclear dick is stuck in fan

Attempted this to the point someone could confuse it for an old M&S advert, received nothing but three tells asking if I was trying to ERP with the food and was asked to stop. I wouldn't say it's a viable method but I did get more attention that when I was RPing me waiting for someone or eating something in far less questionable way.

You forgot something.

RE: [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Spethah - 09-01-2015

(09-01-2015, 12:06 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

You forgot something.

Due to the harassing nature of those tells, I'm not going to put logs up even if I blocked out the names. It wasn't really funny to them (it was to me tbh) and I consider it rude to post logs on them even though I'm censoring their name.

(09-01-2015, 12:08 PM)Spethah Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 12:06 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

You forgot something.

Due to the harassing nature of those tells, I'm not going to put logs up even if I blocked out the names. It wasn't really funny to them (it was to me tbh) and I consider it rude to post logs on them even though I'm censoring their name.

You tease I can respect that.

RE: [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Oli! - 09-01-2015

(08-31-2015, 07:46 PM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: Have you considered that the character could have an IC epiphany that he, ICly, is lonely, and that his loneliness may stem from the challenge he presents to others in getting to know him? 

As a result of that epiphany, the character could choose to try to open himself up more to others - and in doing so, may find himself having others feel more drawn to him.

One of the serious drawbacks of playing anti-social characters (regardless of the method of anti-social behavior, such as wallflowering, professional elitism, classism, etc) is that they are notoriously unapproachable. People don't want to put the work into forcing an interaction to happen, and they don't need to do so, because in the same emote distance there's usually another character present who presents an easier opportunity. It's almost like in order to play a character with anti-social traits, one must already have a base of player friends OOCly who are willing to push their characters at the anti-social one. Lacking that, it's almost guaranteed that isolation is going to occur.

However, it's not the end of the world. As I mentioned initially in this post, the problem is very much one that the character, if he's self-aware, could recognize exists ICly and he could take IC steps to change who he is and how he behaves toward others. If it has results that he wants - e.g. he has some new friends get made from his attempts - then he'll see the fruit of his labors to change and will feel motivated to continue with that personal growth.

This gal's got it, really.

The short and sweet of it is that certain characters just don't fare well in public settings. Not because they're bad characters or anything like that, just that, at least from the outside looking in, the amount of time spent getting invested in that sort of character doesn't seem to be worth the return. Sometimes this might be because other people don't want to spend their time being put down, and sometimes it might just be that anti-social or otherwise impolite characters are hard to hold a long conversation with; both tend to get to a point where it's easier to just call off the encounter before things get even more awkward. Either that, or one side has to put forth all the things to talk about, and eventually, they're going to run dry. One-sided conversations, both in Roleplay and in Real Life, tend not go on for very long.

Especially since we humans are very good at picking up social cues; this includes cues that we're not wanted around at the moment.

No one is saying that you have to change your character in order to be accepted, just that opening them up a little more, even if it's only for the sake of interaction, might net you a little more. From the character you described, it might not even be all that hard.

"Hi, I'm a knight of Ishgard here for diplomacy. Tell me about your people," might be all you ever need, and changing the character might not even be necessary at all.

RE: [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Anthony Valron - 09-01-2015

(09-01-2015, 12:11 PM)Oli! Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 07:46 PM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: Have you considered that the character could have an IC epiphany that he, ICly, is lonely, and that his loneliness may stem from the challenge he presents to others in getting to know him? 

As a result of that epiphany, the character could choose to try to open himself up more to others - and in doing so, may find himself having others feel more drawn to him.

One of the serious drawbacks of playing anti-social characters (regardless of the method of anti-social behavior, such as wallflowering, professional elitism, classism, etc) is that they are notoriously unapproachable. People don't want to put the work into forcing an interaction to happen, and they don't need to do so, because in the same emote distance there's usually another character present who presents an easier opportunity. It's almost like in order to play a character with anti-social traits, one must already have a base of player friends OOCly who are willing to push their characters at the anti-social one. Lacking that, it's almost guaranteed that isolation is going to occur.

However, it's not the end of the world. As I mentioned initially in this post, the problem is very much one that the character, if he's self-aware, could recognize exists ICly and he could take IC steps to change who he is and how he behaves toward others. If it has results that he wants - e.g. he has some new friends get made from his attempts - then he'll see the fruit of his labors to change and will feel motivated to continue with that personal growth.

This gal's got it, really.

The short and sweet of it is that certain characters just don't fare well in public settings. Not because they're bad characters or anything like that, just that, at least from the outside looking in, the amount of time spent getting invested in that sort of character doesn't seem to be worth the return. Sometimes this might be because other people don't want to spend their time being put down, and sometimes it might just be that anti-social or otherwise impolite characters are hard to hold a long conversation with; both tend to get to a point where it's easier to just call off the encounter before things get even more awkward. Either that, or one side has to put forth all the things to talk about, and eventually, they're going to run dry. One-sided conversations, both in Roleplay and in Real Life, tend not go on for very long.

Especially since we humans are very good at picking up social cues; this includes cues that we're not wanted around at the moment.

No one is saying that you have to change your character in order to be accepted, just that opening them up a little more, even if it's only for the sake of interaction, might net you a little more. From the character you described, it might not even be all that hard.

"Hi, I'm a knight of Ishgard here for diplomacy. Tell me about your people," might be all you ever need, and changing the character might not even be necessary at all.
And that very last bit exemplifies why I came to the forums, made this post, and even added storyline requests and suggestions.

RE: [Edit] Seeking RP desperately. - Momoka - 09-01-2015

we spoke in game, and my characters are always around if you want to say hi to them, either Luminous Moon, Izumi Akibara or Therese Renault. just hmu, I guesssssssss

TonberryTonberryTonberryTonberryTonberry