Hydaelyn Role-Players
Magic the Gathering General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Magic the Gathering General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=13050)

Magic the Gathering General Discussion - Asmodean - 08-18-2015

Being a fan of MTG myself and knowing a few others here are as well, I thought a topic like this might be a good idea.

First off Magic Duels, the new free to play MTG game is good. I would say if you want to try getting into the game, you should give this game a try. It currently only has about 80% of the most recent set released, Origins, making it easy to get into due to not having to read over tens of thousands of cards from across the many years. At most I think that makes it about 300 or so give or take.

As more set are released as real world cards they will add more to the game, making it grow much like the real card game. It brings in two ways of deck building, full free form and game assisted. This game is much like Hearthstone, with daily quests and a max amount of gold you can earn per day from just playing. However, unlike hearthstone there is no card crafting, also well as no trading.

While that sounds bad if you have tried HS, once you have the max amount of a card you can not get another copy of it. Rarity is the way you will know the max amount of a card you can have. 4 for common, 3 for uncommon, 2 fro rare and 1 mythic. While I can say I dislike the limit on mythics, I enjoy the fact it means throwing money at the game doesn't reward you anything more then getting to the card you want faster. 

Over all, I feel like somethings should change, like at least 2 mythics but I do enjoy the game as it is and look forward to seeing how everything plays out. I would again suggest if you want try out MTG, give Magic Duels a try. it have a single player set up with a campaign focused around the five main planewalks the current set is about and a random AI match mode for fun even if you don't want to play against others online.  

Oh yeah another reason I wanted to make this was due to looking over the favor text of a card I have on hand from the Gatecrash set. I feels like something I would expect Gegenji's Judge to say.

"It is forbidden. Asking why is irrelevant."

Still my favorite thing about the real cards. Just got to love the favor text.

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - 13uddy - 08-19-2015

(08-18-2015, 04:34 PM)Asmodean Wrote: Magic Duels, the new free to play MTG game is good. 

I've been out of the loop for a while, so thank you for letting me know this exists.  I've wanted to play again for a while, so this might be my best chance.  

I used to play quite frequently, and I still have boxes upon boxes of old cards in the back room.  But several years back (not long after 8th Edition came out), not only did the gaming shop in my town close, they also severely cut back on the Magic items they got at local stores.  It got harder and harder to find someone to play with (the closest gaming or comic shop is several hours drive away and there isn't really anywhere here I could just hang out and expect another player to show up), so sadly my playing and collecting kinda fizzled out.  I've got a few random boosters or multi-packs as gifts from friends, but the bulk of my collection is still 8th Edition and earlier.  

And just to throw it out there, my absolute favorite Magic card of all time (despite the fact it isn't "legal"):
[Image: Image.ashx?multiverseid=9759&type=card]

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - Gegenji - 08-19-2015

If we're talking the Unglued/Unhinged cards, then I'd have to say this one is my favorite. Just because I imagine someone shouting to someone three tables away while using it.

[Image: ass%20whuppin%27.jpg]

"HEY! HEY YOU. OVER THERE!"
"WHAT?"
"DESTROY THAT!"
"DESTROY WHAT?"
"THAT! DESTROY THAT!"
"WHY?"
"ASS WHUPPIN'!"

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - Asmodean - 08-19-2015

I remember the pre-release for Unglued/Unhinged, came in two hours later then normal. Everyone playing was spaced far apart and even seeing a few people get up from game and start to wander around. I was use to se a small group for like five different games going on side by side and see this was just odd. Then I saw Ass Whuppin'. Didn't even have to ask, because the lot of us would just walk over and mess someones entire plan up just because we can thanks to that card.

Good times... I really miss playing face to face but it's nice to not have to play another net deck with Duels.

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - rainichan - 08-20-2015

Oh, I haven't played MtG for a while, but the best format is edh. Big Grin One of my decks, assuming I get blessings from the other players, actually utilizes Flock of Rabid Sheep (token deck) and I thought to include it for fun, mainly.

Didn't play FNM much, usually when I did I"d play stuff that I made myself as opposed to what everyone else was doing. I ended up having more fun that way, honestly.

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - Asmodean - 08-20-2015

(08-20-2015, 12:43 AM)rainichan Wrote: Oh, I haven't played MtG for a while, but the best format is edh. Big Grin One of my decks, assuming I get blessings from the other players, actually utilizes Flock of Rabid Sheep (token deck) and I thought to include it for fun, mainly.

Didn't play FNM much, usually when I did I"d play stuff that I made myself as opposed to what everyone else was doing. I ended up having more fun that way, honestly.

Following the meta was always the boring part of any TCG in my mind. I at least would make odd tech choice no one else used if I every used something that happened to be meta at the moment.

You might want to try Magic Duels as it seems to be doing well. It's on Steam or from the Wizard of the Coast web site. I hope aside new cards are set come out I hope to see the other play formats like Archenemy or Planeschase.

For others, Feel free to throw out questions. I'm sure if I can't get them to quickly myself a few others here might answer. MtG has a rich lore and a lot story. Been a lot of fun reading over what I missed for the years I didn't play. So yeah have and questions, just ask. I'd love to answer any I can and maybe get a few new players into trying MtG.

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - Gegenji - 08-21-2015

(08-20-2015, 12:43 AM)rainichan Wrote: Oh, I haven't played MtG for a while, but the best format is edh. Big Grin One of my decks, assuming I get blessings from the other players, actually utilizes Flock of Rabid Sheep (token deck) and I thought to include it for fun, mainly.

EDH is basically all I'll play these days. Less having to deal with stuff going "out of cycle" and the singleton format means you're not buying four copies of a $50 card. Plus, I have a lot more fun with it since I rejoined Magic playing it as a social activity.

My current favorite deck is a Gahiji, the Honored One (Green/White/Red) deck that gives everyone creatures and forces them to turn them all sideways at someone. Preferably not me. It's quite fun when I put down a card that will allow people to get creatures and they have to honestly decide whether they want them or not.

RE: Magic the Gathering General Discussion - rainichan - 08-21-2015

Yeah, I try to find substitutes if I can for some of the pricier cards so I don't have to pay a ton for cards for decks. One of the cheaper decks I've made is an Empress Galina edh, mono blue. Oh that's a nice Umezawa's Jitte you've got, guess I'll tap Galina to take it from you, thanks! Lots of merfolk and blue bounce spells.

One of the meaner decks I have is a Linvala deck, though next time I play with friends and my husband, I'll make them choose whether or not they want to take me out or take out the Niv-Mizzit that's staring them down.