Hydaelyn Role-Players
Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) (/showthread.php?tid=13198)

Pages: 1 2

Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Yunas13 - 08-29-2015

Is time travel possible? I had an idea but I'm not sure if it is even allowed. >< I'm having so many ideas but I think I'm getting something. The Sailor Moon connection is still a suggestion but I'm trying to go another route. 

A chance encounter sends my main character back 2 years to the beginning of the FFXIV MSQ. She meets my original character who is her idol (like Sailor Moon's idol is Sailor V/Venus and she gets to meet her and be her best friend Smile ) but in her future, her idol is missing and there are only stories of her legacy. 

What do you guys think? It intrigues me and would love to carry it through.

*Raises Flame Shield*

Ok, I'm ready. Let me know your thought.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - LiadansWhisper - 08-29-2015

Well, the Warrior of Light travelled 5 years into the future, so I believe that technically it's possible.

Is there a reason why you want to have this particular character arc of your current character meeting your former character?

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Yunas13 - 08-29-2015

The reason is that my first character (she is my oldest and first character) is at Idyllshire and is making her way to 60. I want to somehow connect them and so far it is the best I've got so far. I wish I knew more about the Au Ra or lore of FFXIV. I didn't play XIV 1.0, I started in 2.0. I have been looking at the Lore section. I really want to make a good story/RP but I don't know the 1.0 storyline. I've seen the different opening cinematics for 1.0 but nothing else.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Eses Fafa - 08-29-2015

You're gonna need a bigger shield..

In all honesty, it does sound like a fun idea, just one best not spread around as a story to the public community.
If I was forced to shut down every single strange possibility within FFXIV, bringing everyone I see down to the mundane, I'd be QUITE a lonely person.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - FreelanceWizard - 08-29-2015

As the game has explored, almost anything is possible with enough will and aether. Time travel has happened recently, as LiadansWhisper notes -- at the end of 1.x. Whether that was just the singular Warrior of Light or a collection of adventurers in the wrong place at the wrong time depends on your point of view, but in general, I've found that people are pretty accepting about being time-warped by the anomaly at Carteneau (not to be confused with the hot new band making the rounds, Anomaly at Carteneau).

With that said, though, time travel outside of that event is a pretty big stretch for RP, and a lot of characters will be skeptical of the claim. I would also expect a fair bit of OOC pushback. On that basis, the question I'd ask is, "what does this bring to the table narratively that a simpler approach wouldn't address?" Since you control both characters, you can easily write a chance meeting into their backstories. From that chance meeting, which your first character thought nothing of, your second character takes away a dream and a drive to be like the Hero they met once. In essence, your second character is always chasing after your first one, trying to emulate them and follow in their footsteps. If that gets the effect you want, then does the time travel add enough more to your story to justify the bigger ask it makes of your fellow players to accept it?

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Nebbs - 08-29-2015

Nebula has already time travelled, gone to alternate realities and switched places with her ancestors (some of the awesome and bizarre RP done with Ilwe'ran). This was a long and involved amount of RP leading up to, during and afterwards.

What you can do is only bound by your imagination.
What others will accept is bound by their tolerance.

What I would say, and this applies to anything "special", don't let this be the main thing that defines who your character is. Make your RP about your character as a person and their struggles in the situations they are in, play Dave the mercenary who happened to get caught up in time travel not the Time Traveller called Dave.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Sylentmana - 09-03-2015

I know time travel in you character's story certainly wouldn't bother me, but if you told any of my characters that you time traveled, they would likely recommend you stop eating random mushrooms you find in the woods.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Nebbs - 09-03-2015

(09-03-2015, 08:54 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: I know time travel in you character's story certainly wouldn't bother me, but if you told any of my characters that you time traveled, they would likely recommend you stop eating random mushrooms you find in the woods.

What! I never would do that.. well not many time.. well I can quit any time I want! *licks a frog to ease her withdrawal*

She never mentions it.. people would think she is even more crazy than she is.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Sig - 09-03-2015

I object on the record to any objections regarding time-traveling that fall short of gripping a third-party character by the arm and dragging them through time.  Time travel is extreme but plausible.  Not my cup of IC tea, however. 

IC, Sigurd would simply think your character was insane and use it as an excuse to make (presumably) unwanted advances.  

The joys of roleplay.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - ZacharyVolfire - 09-03-2015

Your notes, are you allaghan?, how much aether was used. what form of magic was neccasary?
 *My character baraging the traveler with questions*

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Mia Moui - 09-22-2015

Don't mean to necro but I didn't want to make a new post on a similar subject.  I've had my character time-warped at the time of the Calamity to the present day.  There's been no explanation of this.  She was presumed dead along with thousands of others.  My character isn't a Warrior of Light as there can be only one but I feel like Louisoix's power could have unintended consequences.  I've heard that this is actually the case from spoilers but I'm only concerned in the time-travel.

She is of two minds about her experience: either she "skipped" the last five years somehow, or she cannot remember them and no one else seems to remember her existing during those years.  Eorzea is a big place though, so she's leaning towards the notion that her own memory is bad and she just hasn't met anyone who knew her. So I could go either way with regards to time travel.

Of course, having her jump forward in time tends to lead credence to the idea that she is somehow special or chosen.  But I think it's more likely that it was just random, like lightning.  I certainly don't play her as though she were chosen or special.  Until the Calamity, she just wanted to have a family and a garden.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Hammersmith - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 02:57 PM)Mia Moui Wrote: Don't mean to necro but I didn't want to make a new post on a similar subject.  I've had my character time-warped at the time of the Calamity to the present day.  There's been no explanation of this.  She was presumed dead along with thousands of others.  My character isn't a Warrior of Light as there can be only one but I feel like Louisoix's power could have unintended consequences.  I've heard that this is actually the case from spoilers but I'm only concerned in the time-travel.

She is of two minds about her experience: either she "skipped" the last five years somehow, or she cannot remember them and no one else seems to remember her existing during those years.  Eorzea is a big place though, so she's leaning towards the notion that her own memory is bad and she just hasn't met anyone who knew her. So I could go either way with regards to time travel.

Of course, having her jump forward in time tends to lead credence to the idea that she is somehow special or chosen.  But I think it's more likely that it was just random, like lightning.  I certainly don't play her as though she were chosen or special.  Until the Calamity, she just wanted to have a family and a garden.

The one True case of Time-warp from that is if a legacy char comes over from 1.0 to 2.0. I think even the cutscenes reflect that, as well as the slow "Remembering" everyone gets through the MSQ as it hits them that Hey! You're the Warrior of Light! You did That Thing!

Which shows it's possible, but also ascribes to Squeenix's habit of "Chosen One" storytelling.

Aether messes things up though. There's no real reason you couldn't wake up in the middle of Cartineu 5 years later and have no idea what just happened.  There could be a LOT of reasons, from Time Shenanigans, to Void Portals, to Dues Ex Realm Rebornia at Cartineau.

It's not bending much to do such, as long as you weave the reason into the char and use it to give drive to some action.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - LiadansWhisper - 09-22-2015

While there is only one Warrior of Light, Louisoix appears to send more than just the Derplander to the future. In fact, it seems like he sends most, if not all, the adventurers fighting to protect him out of harms way.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Kage - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 03:00 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: While there is only one Warrior of Light, Louisoix appears to send more than just the Derplander to the future. In fact, it seems like he sends most, if not all, the adventurers fighting to protect him out of harms way.

I might be under the wrong impression that while not -the- Warrior of light, there were other chosen and other echo-users. Those were possibly sent forward etc.

RE: Wonder if this is possible.....(RP or for Fanfic) - Steel Wolf - 09-22-2015

I always assumed that those thrust forward in time were all Adventurers who maybe were the Warrior of Light but who knows, so Louisoix just netted the lot to be safe.

In the cutscenes, the Derplander I understood to be the Big Shiny in the narrative.