Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to the forums, and also new to RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to the forums, and also new to RP (/showthread.php?tid=13199)

New to the forums, and also new to RP - Mentaza - 08-29-2015

Hello everyone!

I started playing this game just shy of three months ago and have been working my way through the main story with my main when I was still on Lich, but made an alt and transferred her to Balmung not too long ago for the RP.

I've done tabletop role-playing before, but am new to role-playing through an Mmo. Some aspects seem easier to me while others are quite different. I'm currently working on an article on the characters wiki here for my character, Hanatsuma Maibito.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get to know some of you in the game and play with you all.

I've just been working on leveling up at the moment on Balmung to make getting around a bit easier.

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - LiadansWhisper - 08-29-2015

Hello and welcome! Smile

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - EkheiBalduin - 08-29-2015

Hello and welcome!

I'm sure the others will be around shortly to offer you their own welcomes and possibly inviting you to join one of the many FCs.

I'm not here for that.

I'm just here to welcome you to the server and our little slice of the Internet.

Feel free to ask us any questions you might have and don't forget to peruse the rest of the forums!

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Sahja Elahka - 08-29-2015

The differences between Tabletop and Mmo don't seem that large, but the flavor of it changes dramatically. 

For example you can't interrupt people.  Not really anyway, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it really is.

That being said, the laid back nature is amazing.

Welcome to the game.  Welcome to a new kind of RP.

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Nebbs - 08-29-2015

Welcome

The difference to tabletop can be a little or a lot. Some do play with a DM scenarios and dice rolls, even down to having a character sheet and stats. In fact the /random in game roll is often used to determine outcome. Others, though, play more like the role play story telling and experiencing type of game, where essentially each person writes for their character, these can be as rich and novels jointly written or as fast and snappy as improv (like who's line is it anyway).

A good reference is [The Role-Play Handbook] a great resource.

To find others other than open walk-ups and events I would recommend you check out the [RP Linkskell & Free Company Lists for Balmung] for things that suit you. A Linkshell is like an in game chat channel and you can have 8, and a Free Company is like a Guild.

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Mentaza - 08-29-2015

Thank you all for welcoming me!

I've been mostly doing some basic in character meet ups with someone I met at the Moonfire Faire event that happened a week or two ago with the swimsuit contest and drinking contest and such, plus the occasional run-in with someone while out and about. I'm still a bit nervous to take on anything too large at the moment. I've attended a few different events but was too scared to participate.

Currently I'm in a free company with a few friends and we're mostly learning the basics of RP together and working on our characters, maybe having some small run ins with each other in character.

Also, thank you for the link to the role-playing handbook. I'll look that over soon.

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Lydia Lightfoot - 08-29-2015

Hiii! :) It sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Feel free to throw things at me in-game or on here if you need/want any advice or just want to set up a little casual RP meet-up or something.

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Faye - 08-29-2015

Hello there, welcome to the RPC! Big Grin

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Vitamin C - 08-29-2015

Welcome to the RPC! Hope you have fun and enjoy the community! Feel free to browse the forums to get a good grasp on what it's all about, and always remember /em is your friend while ingame! Enjoy the roleplay.

RE: New to the forums, and also new to RP - Ryanti - 08-30-2015

Ahoy! Welcome to the RPC and the wonderful world of MMO RP!