Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hairstyle voting begins! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Hairstyle voting begins! (/showthread.php?tid=13237)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Edda - 09-14-2015

Yeah seriously, fuck Square Enix for embracing fan creativity and even going so far as allowing it to be implemented in their game. What a bunch of jokers. Even worse that they cater to the aesthetic and tone that has pervaded the series since its conception! Criminal scum. This is as far as I go, I'm too salty about this. Cancelling my sub for TESO, a game for superior Western Gamers such as myself.

Seriously, I don't get it. It's a contest. One of many. There will be more hairstyles. Get over yourselves.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 07:37 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 07:28 AM)rainichan Wrote: votes have been tallied, meet your new hairstyles in the upcoming patch.

Mad that 9 and 16 were the top runners up. D: I wanted those to win, damn it all.
Congratulations to the winners!

Those styles aren't to my own tastes, but I'm still very happy that the dev team opened the door for the players to decide on something being put into the game. I hope that they use this first run well and learn from it -- and bring us another chance to do the same in future!

(09-14-2015, 01:48 PM)Graeham Wrote: The best we can do at this point is make it clear that there's reasonably high demand for more 'western' hairstyles to be added to the game. So long as they continue to add a variety of different options over time I won't complain - but if they leave it up to dubious voting systems then I won't be happy.

Though we need to band together and present the feedback over on the official site in a direct and constructive manner. With any luck it'll receive a fair bit of attention since there seems to be a lot of people expressing their disappointment towards the winning entries.

The posts above basically sum up my opinion on the matter. I'm happy we (as players) were given a choice to vote. I pretty much went in not expecting either of the choices I made to get anywhere. I don't [currently] RP any female characters and none of the entries presented for males would have looked very appealing on the character I do RP with. 

While more variety is always welcomed, I'd have been happy to get some more Western-based choices. Requests and threads on the official forums are the best way to accomplish that. (But hey, there have been threads asking for more faces, beard options, body hair, butts that don't look anatomically too flat, etc since 2.0 launched.)

<hr>

[[now as a mod]]

There's an alarming amount of negativity, dismay, and conspiracy theorizing happening in here. 

Can we please not have this turn into yet another "I hate the character Creator" thread please? 

If the post is not constructive and not on-topic, please refrain from posting it in this thread.

[[steps out]]

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - McBeefâ„¢ - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 01:56 PM)Edda Wrote: Yeah seriously, fuck Square Enix for embracing fan creativity and even going so far as allowing it to be implemented in their game. What a bunch of jokers. Even worse that they cater to the aesthetic and tone that has pervaded the series since its conception! Criminal scum. This is as far as I go, I'm too salty about this. Cancelling my sub for TESO, a game for superior Western Gamers such as myself.

Seriously, I don't get it. It's a contest. One of many. There will be more hairstyles. Get over yourselves.
They aren't though.

The art style and tone of the series is very western, and even a bit gritty.

Flowery waifu hair, or J-pop idol hair isn't somehow more inherently proper for the setting.

Edit: And I'm allowed to not be thrilled about the result. How about /You/ get over yourself. Not everyone has to be happy about this, and it's not like we're advocating the burning down of their headquarters.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Kage - 09-14-2015

It's no surprise that the hairstyles are the ones that ended up winning. So in my opinion:

A) The rules state that the last like counts as the vote. NOTE THAT THIS RULE WAS THERE FROM THE VERY FUCKING BEGINNING AND ANYONE WHO FUCKED UP (LIKE ME) ONLY HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME.

B) We don't know from whom a few of the other hairstyles are from. Edit: The ones you can vote on.

C) The idea that there is a conspiracy on part of the devs to get only "eastern" is pretty laughable to me.

D) With a mind towards A, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "Western" entries were disqualified because they didn't read the whole rules either.

E) The winning and runner-ups are pretty close to what my results were when I voted without reading the rules. The winner of both male and female hairstyles matched my last like. A few of the runner-ups were not quite my favorites though most are. Though I did not plan on changing my characters' hair to any of the hairstyles that were put to vote anyway.

And now I will mention how funny it is as I go completely politically correct about how eurocentric this thread got.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Kraz - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 02:06 PM)Kage Wrote: D) With a mind towards A, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "Western" entries were disqualified because they didn't read the whole rules either.

On that note then both the winners need disqualifying as well as a substantial chunk of the runners up because they didn't use the actual templates provided which was part of the rules to begin with.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Verad - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 02:04 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote: They aren't though.

The art style and tone of the series is very western, and even a bit gritty.

Flowery waifu hair, or J-pop idol hair isn't somehow more inherently proper for the setting.

Edit: And I'm allowed to not be thrilled about the result. How about /You/ get over yourself. Not everyone has to be happy about this, and it's not like we're advocating the burning down of their headquarters.

To what end? At a certain point commiseration isn't very useful, especially if it starts veering into the realm of conspiracy theory.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Spethah - 09-14-2015

Because a lot of people messed up on the voting (they didn't read the rules that the last vote is only counted), they really should do a revote. The male eastern themed ponytail had a loaaaad of votes, but barely any of them counted. It's kinda lame and I guess a bit disheartening. 

That and the style that won are a bit...limited. I was hoping to see something a little more appealing to all races. I'm not saying that it'll look ugly, but rather there's a chance it's not going to be used on certain races due to it's style. I'm probably not going to see female Roes with that side ponytail, I don't even see them use the side ponytail thing already given to them (and Highlander I think?). The male hairstyle is limited on facial shape, square shaped faces like male Roes won't suit such a thing but of course I've yet to actually try it on my Roe so we'll see.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Aaron - 09-14-2015

Grats to the winners.

Ill never use those styles but beggers cant be choosers.

Maybe next time.

(09-14-2015, 02:11 PM)Kraz Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 02:06 PM)Kage Wrote: D) With a mind towards A, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "Western" entries were disqualified because they didn't read the whole rules either.

On that note then both the winners need disqualifying as well as a substantial chunk of the runners up because they didn't use the actual templates provided which was part of the rules to begin with.
Please provide proof of said rules to use the template as I have found -none-. In fact, let me bold for you relevant portions of said rules.

Quote:Designing your entry
Please create entries either by hand, using paint software, or with a picture, and create designs for both the front and back.

- Please note the following when designing your entry:
If you find it difficult to design both the front and back, you may design only the front. In regards to hair length, please design it so that it is above chest level for both the front and back so that it meshes properly with equipment.
Hair length should not exceed the template provided below.
You are not required to use the provided template.
When creating your design, use of in-game materials is limited to FINAL FANTASY XIV screenshots only.
When the hairstyles are implemented, we are planning to make it possible to choose them for every race.
Designs with a small amount of hair, such as shaved head and mohawk designs, may not be able to be implemented for certain races.
When using a picture to submit an entry, you may use either your own hair or a mannequin. Additionally, there are no restrictions on using wigs; however, please do not include aspects other than the hairstyle in the picture, and be sure to follow all of the rules.

* Please note that we will be posting the finalists on the official site, so if your face is present in the picture it will be displayed publically.
* Please refrain from submitting pictures of people other than yourself.

(09-14-2015, 02:11 PM)Spethah Wrote: Because a lot of people messed up on the voting (they didn't read the rules that the last vote is only counted), they really should do a revote.
Why? Why should they? SE wasn't the one that fucked up. They even made sure to remind people "hey guys this is how voting works!!!!!!" If people cared so much about representing what they liked, they could have cared to do what they should have.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Telluride - 09-14-2015

Fan-input contests are good things!

I wonder that perhaps what they remind us of, though, is that the denizens of the RPC don't represent, or have any real influence over, these things at all, nor do western audiences perhaps.

When we regret the results, perhaps the frustration is not with the fact that there was a contest, or even a real hate for the winning results, as much as it illustrates that the people with the apparent controlling voices in the game's development and aesthetics don't want to see the things we want to see.

Does it matter for hair? Not especially much. But it's a symptom. We have to face the idea that other parts of the game's future development may be decided by a bunch of people whose tastes we aren't interested in, and that can be a sobering thought. One or two hairstyles aren't an issue, but it's hard to ignore that voice in the back of the head that says, "If the people driving the game's future have THESE tastes, what can we expect from the NEXT decision... and the next...and the next..."

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Kraz - 09-14-2015

Oh, fair enough. My mistake. Must have misread it as "You are required".

However, it does raise another point that I've seen used a few times.

If everyone was forced to use the standardised template then perhaps people would be more inclined to vote for what they like instead of prettiest art. Not saying that everyone does but I've seen plenty of things with people just saying they're voting for whatever 'looks drawn the nicest' and whatnot.

Personally I feel that that's something that's always an issue in these design contests, the more artistically impressive things tend to get picked when ultimately it's the design that's important.

These things are highly subjective and this contest required people to read.

By the way, the "samurai" hairstyle is from a French player.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/262047-Hairstyle-Contest-winners-announced!?p=3319310#post3319310 (User name is Evi Rian'ne)

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Caspar - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 01:18 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 01:11 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 01:01 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 11:51 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: This captures my sentiment.

But hey, it's not a Western RPG, so can't expect Western hairstyles, 'ey?

The annoying part is that every winner and runner up is from a Japanese player.

I find that rather suspicious. Especially because the styles to be voted on were presumably picked by the Japanese Devs.

If you look at the page, there isn't a single non japanese entry :c

Let's be honest. Thinking that non-Japanese tastes are going to be strongly catered to in this game pretty much IS the "Final Fantasy"

Just to put things in perspective though...

There are more non-Japanese subs than Japanese. No clue on China or Korea.

I see this point but it bugs me. Especially after the whole "there is no original language" point that was drive home in the "What language do you play with?" thread.

Plus with SE always acknowledging how different regions want different things...I feel like SE -should- cater to Western audiences more.
I feel that's always going to be the case, and should not be a matter of concern. JP population that has the money or free time for mmo is always gonna be small. They're still considered the "main" player base. Personally I'm okay with not being catered to, but I'm used to playing games loved in Japan and ignored here.

Obviously I'm biased. I've had more than my fill of buzz cut-sporting spehss muhreens. I'd rather not see more of the same. To avoid that, I'll gladly accept any number of haircuts that look ripped straight from Gakt's scalp.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - ProvaDiServo - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 02:53 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 01:18 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 01:11 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 01:01 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 11:51 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: This captures my sentiment.

But hey, it's not a Western RPG, so can't expect Western hairstyles, 'ey?

The annoying part is that every winner and runner up is from a Japanese player.

I find that rather suspicious. Especially because the styles to be voted on were presumably picked by the Japanese Devs.

If you look at the page, there isn't a single non japanese entry :c

Let's be honest. Thinking that non-Japanese tastes are going to be strongly catered to in this game pretty much IS the "Final Fantasy"

Just to put things in perspective though...

There are more non-Japanese subs than Japanese. No clue on China or Korea.

I see this point but it bugs me. Especially after the whole "there is no original language" point that was drive home in the "What language do you play with?" thread.

Plus with SE always acknowledging how different regions want different things...I feel like SE -should- cater to Western audiences more.
I feel that's always going to be the case, and should not be a matter of concern. JP population that has the money or free time for mmo is always gonna be small. They're still considered the "main" player base. Personally I'm okay with not being catered to, but I'm used to playing games loved in Japan and ignored here.

Obviously I'm biased. I've had more than my fill of buzz cut-sporting spehss muhreens. I'd rather not see more of the same. To avoid that, I'll gladly accept any number of haircuts that look ripped straight from Gakt's scalp.

As a person who rarely sees their type of hair portrayed in most character creation, I rather neither option be available and all our player models be bald

*KanyeShrug*

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - McBeefâ„¢ - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 02:38 PM)Telluride Wrote: Fan-input contests are good things!

I wonder that perhaps what they remind us of, though, is that the denizens of the RPC don't represent, or have any real influence over, these things at all, nor do western audiences perhaps.

When we regret the results, perhaps the frustration is not with the fact that there was a contest, or even a real hate for the winning results, as much as it illustrates that the people with the apparent controlling voices in the game's development and aesthetics don't want to see the things we want to see.

Does it matter for hair? Not especially much. But it's a symptom.  We have to face the idea that other parts of the game's future development may be decided by a bunch of people whose tastes we aren't interested in, and that can be a sobering thought.  One or two hairstyles aren't an issue, but it's hard to ignore that voice in the back of the head that says, "If the people driving the game's future have THESE tastes, what can we expect from the NEXT decision... and the next...and the next..."
Tiny, Miqo'te sized femroes.