Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hairstyle voting begins! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Hairstyle voting begins! (/showthread.php?tid=13237)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Oli! - 09-04-2015

(09-04-2015, 10:33 PM)V Wrote: We're probably not going to get to vote on anything player submitted again after this.

We probably will.

People can scream about it all they want, but if the developers don't hear the noise, it's like no screaming happened.

If their windows are soundproof, then chances are the impact that complaining has on anything will be minimal.

I also have yet to see a player-poll for a video-game go well, and I'm sure the developers have yet to see such either, so I have faith that they knew full well what they were doing when they decided on this.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Oli! - 09-04-2015

(09-03-2015, 06:27 PM)rainichan Wrote: My guess is that they're under a time constraint if it's for 3.1, which is why they made the rules strict in "it has to be this length" and they chose hairstyles fairly easy to implement quickly (braids exist, you have to adapt them, as do ponytails and some of the hairstyles some of them are similar to exist and are easily adaptable.)

If I had to guess, it's probably less of a time constraint issue and more of a "do we want to pick a fight with our game engine in order to make longer hairstyles possible" issue, because as it stands currently I don't think that they have a way to do that that would work very well. Iceheart's hair looks about as elegant as a stiff surfboard swaying in the breeze, and we all know that that would clip to high hell with certain bits of armor.

It's probably less of a time thing and more of an engine constraint / PEE ES TREE LIMITATION.

Of course, time factors into this as well, though there's also a solid chance that the amount of time spent grinding teeth over it wouldn't be worth the reward, even if there was infinite time available to do so.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Fox - 09-05-2015

(09-04-2015, 09:45 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: Can you link to the worst you've seen yet?

Because So far I'm not really clear on where the line on criticism is and I almost feel like we all are saying the same thing.

Because while this...
Quote:omg Yoshi-P and his team are idiots
may not be exactly the most formulated of responses

This....
Quote: Don't know what good hairstyles are.

I don't take issue with,

I cannot; it is against the RPC to name/link.
I don't have a problem with people constructively criticizing. What I have a problem with; is the first example- not so much the second. And yes, everyone here is in agreement. I was just discussing the matter with Raini as she's seen the toxic, rude-ass remarks elsewhere (thankfully everyone on the RPC has been understanding and not a jackarse).

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Cato - 09-05-2015

I'm hoping that when they ditch support for the PS3 - something that will hopefully happen sooner rather than later - then we'll get a lot more options in regards to character customisation. Not just more hairstyles, but things like more in-depth tattoos, scars, new facial features and so on.

The thing is, for that to happen we need both the PS3 to be left behind and for FFXIV's community to unite and push for it in a constructive and civil manner. The frustration is understandable - but if people just rant/vent on the official site then not much is going to be accomplished.

If, however, they ensure that their posts are accompanied by ideas for potential solutions/compromises then there's a greater chance that something positive will come out of these slip ups.

FFXIV's developers have proven time and time again that they're humble enough to admit mistakes and listen to constructive feedback. I strongly believe that they've handled the contest rather poorly - but if we make that clear in a constructive manner then it's likely that in the future they'll offer more meaningful choices/add more varied hairstyles to the game.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - rainichan - 09-05-2015

(09-04-2015, 09:45 PM)ProvaDiServo Wrote: Can you link to the worst you've seen yet?

Because So far I'm not really clear on where the line on criticism is and I almost feel like we all are saying the same thing.

I can't link or name, but I can say when I see people calling the entries "garbage" and "crap" and people going "dafuq are with the horrible selfies?!" or "they didn't work as hard as the people who made stuff that didn't make it in!" -- that is not okay. Not on ANY level. When things like "some of those entries were utter bullshit and I don’t understand how they were chosen over some of the gorgeous, high-quality, multiple-angle entries I’ve seen that didn’t make the cut" are said? That is still NOT OKAY.

Disagreeing that you don't like the entries because they don't appeal to you is fine. I don't care much for the sidetails, so I didn't vote for them. Little too cutesy for my tastes, but it appeals to other people. I like some of the other styles that didn't make it, and I wish I could vote on them. But I'm not going to belittle the people who DID by calling their pictures of their hairstyles, whether they were pictures of themselves (which was in the rules as acceptable to do if you didn't have pencil/paper or a digital drawing coordination to create a 2D entry) or wigs by saying they didn't work as hard as people who drew their entries? To say the devs are "wasting a contest on this crap"? How is that in the least all right to say? I might not like some of the styles, but I'm not going to say they didn't try as hard as the people who didn't make it in.

There's a polite way to say "I don't like this" and a rude way of saying "I don't like this" and while I see a mixed bag of polite/rude, more people agree with the rude from what I've seen. It could be different for others and what they see and that's fine too! I just... insulting comments aren't the way to go.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - LiadansWhisper - 09-05-2015

Don't think anyone here said it was okay to be rude.  But isn't that why they have forum moderators who can give people forum vacations when they start making personal attacks and being cretins?

I'm still of the opinion that the devs wear big girl panties and can handle criticism.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Cailean Lockwood - 09-06-2015

(09-05-2015, 11:31 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Don't think anyone here said it was okay to be rude.  But isn't that why they have forum moderators who can give people forum vacations when they start making personal attacks and being cretins?

I'm still of the opinion that the devs wear big girl panties and can handle criticism.

Forum vacations! XD
That's so cute...

But seriously, you (as in general) can be honest and post critique without being an a-hole. It IS possible. It's just easier not to.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - LiadansWhisper - 09-06-2015

(09-06-2015, 12:14 AM)Vachir Crimsonborn Wrote: Forum vacations! XD
That's so cute...

But seriously, you (as in general) can be honest and post critique without being an a-hole. It IS possible. It's just easier not to.

Tone is also famously difficult to read in text.  So someone may just be really blunt and come across as rude.  Name-calling, of course, is obviously rude and not okay.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Flickering Ember - 09-06-2015

Well, voting is ending tonight at 11 pst. So make sure to finalize your votes if you haven't already.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - rainichan - 09-14-2015

votes have been tallied, meet your new hairstyles in the upcoming patch.

Mad that 9 and 16 were the top runners up. D: I wanted those to win, damn it all.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Berrod Armstrong - 09-14-2015

(09-14-2015, 07:28 AM)rainichan Wrote: votes have been tallied, meet your new hairstyles in the upcoming patch.

Mad that 9 and 16 were the top runners up. D: I wanted those to win, damn it all.
Congratulations to the winners!

Those styles aren't to my own tastes, but I'm still very happy that the dev team opened the door for the players to decide on something being put into the game. I hope that they use this first run well and learn from it -- and bring us another chance to do the same in future!

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Gegenji - 09-14-2015

While I'm sad the Pomp didn't make it - though I also really didn't expect it to - I'm glad it at least got enough backing near the end there to make it into the runners-up bracket. Laugh

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Edda - 09-14-2015

Well, I could have sworn these two wouldn't make it based on the numbers on the forums, but maybe Square Enix is scoring them like golf. Either way, I'm happy my top choices made it, and I'm looking forward to the countless new hairstyles that are sure to come in the future.

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Arrelaine - 09-14-2015

It's because only the last vote counts, so basically a lot of the last page hairstyles will probably have gotten any actual votes.

I'm still disappointed you didn't give any curlies to vote on, SE. *fist shake* Next time!

RE: Hairstyle voting begins! - Cliodhna Eoghan - 09-14-2015

awww well at least the female winner is cute! would have LOVED the braids that was runner up but still i think the winning style's cute. not too sure on the male's but i'll have to see it in game i guess o3o