Hydaelyn Role-Players
Arcanima in Practice - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Arcanima in Practice (/showthread.php?tid=13247)

Arcanima in Practice - Kinono - 09-01-2015

This may be a question that's been asked before so if it has, forgive me!

I've always roleplayed my character as having a decent amount of knowledge in arcanima, however I've never actually had to roleplay it out or describe it in combat scenarios. The most I've ever really done is the odd Physic or carbuncle jumping forward to defend her. However, through my own volition, I've been taking Kinono down a more combat-oriented path lately and I'm sure sooner rather than later I'll be in this very situation.

Even from an in-universe perspective, I get the sense that, save for the Ruins and the carbuncles themselves, arcanima takes place on a largely unseen level, inflicting varying levels of ailment and sickness on enemies.

Arcanists roleplayers of RPC! How do you describe your spells happening in combat scenarios?! Non-arcanist roleplayers! How would you describe them?!

(For simplicity's sake, let's say all these "combat scenarios" are happening with NPC's. I'm looking more for writing advice, not etiquette advice. I know alllllll about consent.)

RE: Arcanima in Practice - FreelanceWizard - 09-01-2015

I RP arcanima as being based around manipulations of matter and patterns. So, the various offensive spells are direct attacks on a pattern -- causing illness, causing rapid decay, or outright obliterating pieces of it. They're aspects of corruption and entropy (not in an "evil" corruption sense, but more like a "corrupted data" sense). Heals are rapid regeneration, and shields are barriers of magical force. This approach distinguishes it from the more elementally-aspected spells of conjury and thaumaturgy, at least for me. Smile

RE: Arcanima in Practice - Masaki Moui - 09-01-2015

I'm very similar here. Describing arcanima against NPCs, I use particularly geometric expressions and concepts like the golden ratio. My arcanima may only produce a strange holographic effect, momentarily, like a projection screen rising off the pages of constructed equations from my book but then otherwise be almost invisible in application of any force projected. I like to describe the frequencies that come across as well, taking a touch of Pythagorean mythology and saying you might be able to hear a tone, or sense a frequency as a vibration or any other sensation, as a spell goes off.

After you cast, the visual results would be very understated, the way that many of the spells when they go off aren't flashy, affecting the "subtle body" of whatever you're attacking. Since that happens slowly and works its way down into the physical, it probably takes time to manifest outright physical symptoms. (Thus in line with those DoT spells.) I imagine that someone with arcane sight standing beside you would see a whole lot more than someone without any arcane sight (and I feel that means anyone with magical talent not just arcanists). Maybe anyone who can sense aether could tell that something is going on given the degree to which they're trained in that skill or talent.

Obviously you also have some pretty nice flash with two spheres and ruin so there are times when your magics are visually potent enough to really put on a light show for those who might not usually see aetheric disturbances.

This is just how I do it though as I've always been a fan of subtle magic. It's like that one Terry Goodkind series Sword of Truth, where you learn that when two mages are fighting, it looks like nothing is happening until there's a 'big bang' and then you realize one of them just lost a pretty epic chess match and you might want to take permanent cover in a bomb shelter.