Hydaelyn Role-Players
Waiting on a Commission. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Waiting on a Commission. (/showthread.php?tid=13258)

Waiting on a Commission. - Nataru - 09-02-2015

At what point should I either ask for a refund or take other action for a work that I haven't received or haven't heard from the artist? I only ask because i'm still kinda new to the commissioning game.

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Virella - 09-02-2015

(09-02-2015, 04:34 PM)Nataru Wrote: At what point should I either ask for a refund or take other action for a work that I haven't received or haven't heard from the artist? I only ask because i'm still kinda new to the commissioning game.
How long have you been waiting? Has the artists by chance gone on holidays ect?

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Nataru - 09-02-2015

One I have waited for quite awhile a month almost two. The other I was told I would receive almost two weeks ago. I've yet to hear back from either artist so I'm not really sure if they have or haven't

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - ZacharyVolfire - 09-02-2015

I say about 3 weeks? im patient so i dont bother a artist until a month has passed, but its good to se a time frand have the mcontact you as well.

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Riven - 09-02-2015

Normally depending on the artist and how popular they are, a commish can take up to a few weeks to maybe a month or so.  I know I get work from a rocking artist on tumblr and she'll be about a month or so because she gets a lot of requests. 

Did you ask if you were in any type of queue or did they tell you they had work before your piece?

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Virella - 09-02-2015

(09-02-2015, 04:38 PM)Nataru Wrote: One I have waited for quite awhile a month almost two. The other I was told I would receive almost two weeks ago. I've yet to hear back from either artist so I'm not really sure if they have or haven't
Month or two? I would just reclaim your money over paypal tbh. 2 weeks is nothing, but 2 months? I would just try to get your money back if the artist isn't communicating with you.

I had an artist/good friend fucking me over like that once as well. 1 month I will go asking, 2 months? Just claim your money back if they are not talking with you imo. Of course this is all if the artists simply does not communicate any longer with me ect.

I'm pretty patient and understanding when it comes to artists...I know outside of drawing they lives as well so I mean I don't mind waiting ya know? But as far as I was informed there wasn't a queue or anything.

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Riven - 09-02-2015

(09-02-2015, 04:38 PM)Nataru Wrote: One I have waited for quite awhile a month almost two. The other I was told I would receive almost two weeks ago. I've yet to hear back from either artist so I'm not really sure if they have or haven't

Two months and no word?  Yikes.  I'd say try to contact them first-and if no response, start the process of getting your money back.

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Tynos Riller - 09-02-2015

I waited a year once. Bad mistake. She ended up refunding me only half, and was rude as hell about it. Was kind of sad was my first commy, thought it just took that long. I would try to contact one more time then refund.

I've messaged both and wait for a reply. Thanks for all the advice!

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Val - 09-02-2015

[sup]I'd say it really just depends on your patience. If you see they have a long list, I'd suggest just being patient. If they don't/are doing work for other people, politely ask for a refund. I've waited over a year for one piece and several months for another. I understand it can be annoying. [/sup]

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - industrythirteen - 09-02-2015

As a commission artist, I always have mixed feelings when I see these threads. On one hand, not giving a delivery date, and not staying in constant contact with your client is really unprofessional. Really, really unprofessional. On the other hand, contacting the artist directly is the best way to go. I understand that you are new to getting work done, and you want some feedback. I get that. I was in a situation once where a client talked to just about everyone else but me when they had an issue, and it could have been resolved asap if they had just contacted me in the first place. 

My personal policy is to keep my clients informed at every stage. Sometimes I have something to show them every week, sometimes its every 12 days. There is no point in updating them unless I have significant progress to show them. But, I give a delivery date of 4 to 6 weeks, depending on what I have going on and what I have on my docket. Balancing five or more commissions, depending on how fast an artist works, or what their time allows can be a real challenge. I have my limits. That doesn't excuse a lack of contact. That is something that is learned with experience. So, please do email them and tell them, in a calm and clear manner, what you would like; whether that is just asking about an update, or asking for a refund.

RE: Waiting on a Commission. - Nebbs - 09-02-2015

(09-02-2015, 04:34 PM)Nataru Wrote: At what point should I either ask for a refund or take other action for a work that I haven't received or haven't heard from the artist? I only ask because i'm still kinda new to the commissioning game.

Not sure and maybe don't pay upfront in full. That way they still have an incentive. I have not had great experience with commissions so have just stopped bothering.