Hydaelyn Role-Players
Summoners - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Summoners (/showthread.php?tid=13357)

Pages: 1 2

Summoners - Yunas13 - 09-11-2015

Alright, since I learned Summoners are RP/fanfiction allowed besides the Allag Summoners, what other Summoners are there?

RE: Summoners - Edgar - 09-11-2015

Are you asking if there are other NPC Summoners, or if there are other PC ones?

RE: Summoners - Yunas13 - 09-11-2015

I ask about PC summoners. Smile I plan to keep Serena a summoner/White Mage as that is how I see her. I know our class for Summoner comes from the lore of Allag and that such summoners are rare. I wanna know those who play summoners how do they portray their class as something else?

Are there summoners like Aaron who focus on ice summons (ice wolves like the mount that is blue/white)

Are there summoners who base their powers on other places that have summoners but they are called differently?

RE: Summoners - That Guy - 09-11-2015

Do you mean 'types' of summoners? There really isn't a 'type'. There's just one school of thought for summoning. We simply aren't entirely sure if it's an Ascian art or Allagan. What we DO know is that the art itself requires you to have defeated a primal or been in the presence of one's defeat. After that you use the residual aether from the primal in a ritual to summon an egi. Defeat the egi and you can summon one from then on. 

Some primals produce egis that are simply too strong for some people to summon. That's why summoning a Ramu egi doesn't work. (I demand we try with a mog egi). Summoners can get around this by channeling that primal instead, which is what dreadwyrm stance is. You can only do this for so long however, seconds at most. However mega flare is still awesome. 

Now, you could say that you can only summon one type of egi because...hey that's all you've beaten. I guess that would be a 'type' of summoner. Maybe you can use only an ifrit egi and develop some minor fire affinity as a result from being so attuned to it. Maybe that ifrit egi is stronger than the ifrit egi of someone who possess all the egis because you've had more practice with it. At least, that's the only way I can figure summoner 'type' within the realm of lore.

I personally rp a summoner but he only has one summon as that's all he's beaten. He had to open a chakra point to access enough aether to summon the egi so the two are kind of intertwined for him. It's really no different than a regular summon - just a new way to go about it.

RE: Summoners - Ashe - 09-11-2015

There are no types of summoners. The title "Summoner" is specific to the Allagan mages who summoned Primal Egis. These primal egis can only be of primals that you were in the presence of when they died (So you kinda had to be the one who killed it).

That's it.

Arcane summoning is a bit different. They are not summoners. They are Arcanists and use carbuncles and poison geometries and other geometries for their magic. 

Scholars also "summon" something but they are scholars who have faerie familiars that follow them around to heal and support...it's Nymian magic stuff.

To call yourself a summoner in the world of FFXIV/Eorzea...it's the Allagan art of using geometries to summon primal egis. Even if another job/class uses a book, they are not summoners.

RE: Summoners - Aaron - 09-11-2015

I think the op means are there npcs who summon things similar to how summons are portrayed throughout FF as a series (Like in Type 0 and stuff)

The answer is yes. An example being the priest before the last boss in the vault who "summons" four voidsent to attack you. Of course he dies doing so but yeah. There's also the Ascian that summoned/created that Rock Golem you fight at lvl 15 ish

RE: Summoners - mongi291 - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 06:53 AM)Aaron Wrote: I think the op means are there npcs who summon things similar to how summons are portrayed throughout FF as a series (Like in Type 0 and stuff)

The answer is yes. An example being the priest before the last boss in the vault who "summons" four voidsent to attack you. Of course he dies doing so but yeah. There's also the Ascian that summoned/created that Rock Golem you fight at lvl 15 ish
A lot of thaumaturge and arcanist enemies also summon voidsents, especially if they're bosses (the level 30 Gladiator quest battle, the level 50 Paladin quest battle and the final boss in Halatali HM come to mind).

RE: Summoners - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

It wouldn't be unheard of for someone of established aetherial capability to be able to create a psuedo-summon; Rock golems, ice wolves, fire creatures. It's a stretch in the lore, obviously, but creating some sort of elemental simulacrum isn't outside the works of fiction. Just keep in mind it's entirely off-canon to be able to do so.

I'd be more worried about playing a Summoner AND a White Mage, because those titles bear distinction. White Mage, for example, has much more to do with the Shroud and the Elementals and playing peacekeeper than it does being a good healer. That's a whole different can of worms, though.

If you're going to be calling yourself a summoner though and not doing allagan summoning then you are not a summoner...you're just a mage summoning something. Probably a black mage...or white mage if it's elemental based.

RE: Summoners - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 11:27 AM)Ashe Wrote: If you're going to be calling yourself a summoner though and not doing allagan summoning then you are not a summoner...you're just a mage summoning something. Probably a black mage...or white mage if it's elemental based.

Summoner and summoner have a distinction difference here. Like someone can be a Warrior, but someone who fights can also be called a warrior. Very far removed from one another, when depicting the title versus the word.

Also, white mages don't summon anything. Neither do black mages, really. Void summoning is basically pacts with voidsent, who have nothing at all to do with black magic, which is a technique instead of an actual school.

RE: Summoners - Edgar - 09-11-2015

OOCly, that's fine. ICly, though...

Playing a WHM/SMN would be a bad.

You're basically saying, not only has your character devoted themselves to hunting Primals for their power and effectively become a master of Arcanum, they're also immensely potent with Conjury and have been gifted with succor by the Elementals. I'd highly recommend you pick one or the other, because as Warren said, they are two different arts, from two different locations, and require a lot of time and dedication to pull off. It's just not terribly believable that your character is that powerful/has that much free time.

I know you're not actively trying a power-play, but that's probably what a lot of people will think.

@Warren 

White mages deal with elemental stuff so I am suggesting if you want to really bend the lore ('cause this person's goal is to summon "elemental horses") you can say you're a white mage....
Black Mage, same thing...if you want to bend the lore and be summoning voidsent or other weird, unworldly things, go ahead.

Everything is bending the lore though in the end.

RE: Summoners - ZacharyVolfire - 09-11-2015

Zach is a summoner through math and the power of SCIENCE. He has "Fought" several primals (fought meaning he at least was there at the battle if not directly fighting since he not a warrior of light but he has SOMETHING keeping him from being tempered 'we're still trying to figure out what.') Yet he also has studied mesarued and collected research on the energies of primals that has led him to understand and control his egi. His actual arcanistry magic is based on math and chemistry first using equations to project and bring the concoction to physical form and chemistry to focus and create potency. Thus bam he's a a class summoner. With some minor descriphencies. He cannot hold a summon for a long time aka 3 hours is his best currently. He must have a crystal to replenish his energy or else bye bye egi.

Now since you want to go White Mage/Summoner Might I make a suggestion. Why not you ooc be htose two but in character be a Geomancer. You channel the powers of the elementals and spirits which then allows you with their permission to use attacks based on the element? So you get amplified quake, aqua, aero, and even access to fire and thunder, as long as your in a area with the correct energies?

RE: Summoners - Sounsyy - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 10:43 PM)ZacharyVolfire Wrote: You channel the powers of the elementals and spirits which then allows you with their permission to use attacks based on the element? So you get amplified quake, aqua, aero, and even access to fire and thunder, as long as your in a area with the correct energies?

In FFXIV's lore, this is essentially what a Conjurer is and does (though they don't need to be in a certain area to cast certain spells).

Geomancers, in FFXIV's lore, are something a little different and have nothing really to do with magic. Yes, FFXIV has canon geomancers, one of them is named Mutamix Bubblypots.

RE: Summoners - myahele - 09-11-2015

It's possible, but very rare these days for an Elemental to physically manifest itself to help a cnj/whm ... but it does happen if you did the level 25 CNJ quest: An elemental pop up in the background to help you defeat corrupted sprites (?)

It's pushing it, but I suppose it's possible to call forth an Elemental *if* they want to help. Elemental are all individuals with wills of their own, so you have to be very good friends with one.

Otherwise, summoning different types Voidsent and binding them to your bidding is alot more common practice.