Hydaelyn Role-Players
I have no idea what I'm doing - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I have no idea what I'm doing (/showthread.php?tid=13418)

Pages: 1 2

I have no idea what I'm doing - Vyce - 09-15-2015

Hello,

I'm Attis and I bring you greetings from the Guild Wars 2 RP community.

After a few years of, "Gee I wish something better would come out.", I've finally decided to reduce my participation in GW2's roleplay community for a refreshing change of scenery.

I played ARR about a year ago and managed to have a low Miqote Bard before losing interest, but with the expansion, I've found excitement for the Astrologian and Machinist classes and plan to resub shortly.

I suppose my biggest apprehension about FF14 was and continues to be customization. Knowing my roots in GW2 where there is a very large number of wardrobe combinations, dyes, and facial feature sliders to make a unique character, I was disheartened by what appears to be a very limited range of costume in FF14. There's a huge case of identical twin syndrome.

But the beauty of the world along with the uniqueness of the classes interests me enough to give it another go. With any luck I'll find a new home.

I currently have a PC account, but will probably make a new account on PS4 and upgrade to Heavensward on PS4. I don't think my PC account can access Balmung or Gilgamesh. That means starting from scratch!

So yeah, I guess I'll be one of those lowby Hyur or dragonfaces running around the cities for a while. I have no idea where to begin but I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Kage - 09-15-2015

Hello and welcome!

If your primary interest is in Machinist or Astrologian, I feel like I should warn you that the new jobs -are- locked behind completing the main story questline before Heavensward. They -have- buffed the experience and made the gear acquisition much easier but you are looking at some time (depending on how fast and how much time you get into doing the content) before you are able to level a Machinist or Astrologian.

If you are looking into RP and not that interested in getting into Balmung, Gilgamesh but are interested in forum RP I encourage you to look into that as well.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Vyce - 09-15-2015

Hmm, I didn't know about the completion lock on Machinist and Astrologian. I suppose that makes sense, so I guess I'll have to power through the campaign first. In the mean time I suppose I can be ICly aspiring to Astro and Mach while I level.

As far as RP goes, forum RP is okay. I do prefer to have the visuals on in-game RP. I guess the first thing to do is make a character...based on the limited understanding I have of the world.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Kage - 09-15-2015

Sorry, I figured you liked the visuals considering what turned you off but it sounded like you weren't -too- motivated to get on Balmung or Gilgamesh. Sorry if I misunderstood you on that, which is why I threw out the forum RP part.

There are difficulties on getting into Balmung. Character creation is mostly closed and it may take you weeks before you get into the less than 5 minute window it is available so most of us suggest transferring if you do care to.

Gilgamesh does have some restrictions but it is generally easier and the window of creating characters is in the span of hours not just a few minutes.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Vyce - 09-15-2015

Hmm. I suppose I'll hold on to my first account and see if it is possible to transfer then.

Now,

As far as characters go, I would guess the kind of person who becomes an Astrologian is going to be a mage to begin with (if I am to understand that these new classes are kind of like tertiary tiers). Sadly I hate playing mage at low levels but I guess I'll have to deal. Can I play AST from a black mage or does it transfer from white only? If I have to be white, my character can hate being "just a stupid mage" as much as I do. If I can start with black, I would lean more toward the occult and fortune aspect that seems to come with AST.

Can all races be Astros? Are there armors that aren't "It's not a dress its a -robe-" for males? I think there is only so much meta disdain I can shove into one character~

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Aya - 09-15-2015

I believe that Astrologian is simply its own class and job, so all you have to do is unlock it with any other class.  I'm not sure if there are any important cross-class abilities that are important to have though.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Caspar - 09-15-2015

There is plenty of non dress, er robe healer gear for reskinning or "glamouring" gear. You'd never hear the end of it from me otherwise. Welcome btw.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Gegenji - 09-15-2015

(09-15-2015, 01:06 PM)Aya Wrote: I believe that Astrologian is simply its own class and job, so all you have to do is unlock it with any other class.  I'm not sure if there are any important cross-class abilities that are important to have though.

Correct! The only requirement for accessing Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist is gaining access to Ishgard proper through the MSQ! And, as always, they do pull cross-class abilities that could be useful - such as Swiftcast from BLM and Protect/Stoneskin from WHM for AST, or Blood for Blood/Invigorate from DRG for MCH.

As such, if you'd want to avoid any unnecessary leveling on your way to those classes, I'd pick something related to the one you like most and using that as your "base" before switching over. For example, if you want to main AST, go through the MSQ as White Mage - it will get you Protect, Aero, and Stoneskin for your cross-class skills... and White Mage requires Thaumaturge to unlock the Job Quests anyway, which will put you near Swiftcast if you need it. Plus the bonus of faster dungeon queues for quests that require it for being a healer! Flip side for MCH, level Lancer/DRG for its cross-class skills and then switch over.

All simply recommendations, of course. You really don't "need" the cross-class skills - they just either add some utility or help "maximize" DPS (in the case of Blood for Blood). Stoneskin is technically a recommended cross-class for Paladin... but I've never gotten it on Chachan and I still do well enough. Blush

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - SaintEaon - 09-15-2015

Likewise the customization of Non Midlander Hyur are all comparable to GW2. Played GW2 for awhile, felt like the customization was lacking there. FFXIV doesn't have the greatest as far as basic character appearance goes, but between armor skins, dyes, the hair and skin colors, tattoo and face paint systems it is actually surprisingly difficult to find characters that look a lot alike. 

I think every class looks relatively similar to other people in its class if you leave the armors the same, but if you want to make them look different its not super challenging to do so.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Mia Moui - 09-15-2015

It must get better as one levels because on my tumblr dash there are all kinds of outfits from silly to sexy to serious to casual.  At the low level (where I am now) I think everything is supposed to be the wrong color or ill-fitting because the PC is new and broke.  That's how I spin it anyway.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - SaintEaon - 09-15-2015

(09-15-2015, 01:55 PM)Mia Moui Wrote: It must get better as one levels because on my tumblr dash there are all kinds of outfits from silly to sexy to serious to casual.  At the low level (where I am now) I think everything is supposed to be the wrong color or ill-fitting because the PC is new and broke.  That's how I spin it anyway.

About the time you start hitting dungeons you end up with like The armor you can get from doing quests, as well as alternative sets from dungeons. Then eventually once you unlock your new Job most of them have gear specific to their class and at this point you have optional dungeons with unique drops too. So you'll have like 5 or 6 unique armor sets from dungeons a lot of time, quest armor, class armor, and then when you hit 50 you add in Raid Armor. HW added a lot of new stuff too and in 3.1 they're changing the way some of the armor works so it'll be even more variety soon.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Caspar - 09-15-2015

The low level fear looks like butt. Don't worry about it; it improves pretty fast.

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Vyce - 09-16-2015

I'm actually taking an IC route to progression.

Thoreaux Vyce is a big, muscled Highlander who for reasons not yet fleshed out decided to become an Arcanist. He and the majestic Carbuncle will travel the land training until the day Vyce can take on the job of Scholar. And then FAIRIES!!!
The idea of a big gorgeous statue of a man wandering around with cute little fairies amuses me.

He's going to be a goldsmith but mine his own metals because "That's what real men do."

And then one day he will be a rich AST with a personality similar to Alexander the Great in Fate/Zero with a little Kanji Tatsumi. Just imagine:

Vyce: "An entity of great power may soon cross your path- but guard your heart. Should you give it freely, you may also lose far greater than you have thus far."

Random Lalafell: "What's that supposed to mean? Why don't you try speaking real sentences since I'm paying you. I can't wrap my brain around any of this garbage."

Vyce: "Here's an idea. Why don't you lay your head down, and I'll wrap your brain around this table with a hammer."

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Zhavi - 09-16-2015

A very useful guide to catching up: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3bheg1/guide_to_catching_up_to_patch_30_heavensward/

if it hasn't been mentioned, you can bypass server restrictions (if you're not willing to do the daily lottery of trying to find the sweet spot in the early morning when pop is low and they're lifted) by transferring a character in. It will cost you $10, though (or $20, I don't remember).

RE: I have no idea what I'm doing - Vyce - 09-16-2015

(09-16-2015, 12:34 PM)Zhavi Wrote: A very useful guide to catching up: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3bheg1/guide_to_catching_up_to_patch_30_heavensward/

if it hasn't been mentioned, you can bypass server restrictions (if you're not willing to do the daily lottery of trying to find the sweet spot in the early morning when pop is low and they're lifted) by transferring a character in. It will cost you $10, though (or $20, I don't remember).
I fully intend to throw my money at Enix