Hydaelyn Role-Players
Establishing Childhood: Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Establishing Childhood: Questions (/showthread.php?tid=13439)

Pages: 1 2

Establishing Childhood: Questions - Vyce - 09-16-2015

Hey all,

So I'm currently working on my first ever character on FF14, and I have some questions.

I read that the Highlander home city was Ala Mhigo, which fell to the Garleans in 1557.
ARR began in 1577, and I don't know what year it is now, but that means a man say age 32 could potentially have been a child when they were defeated.

What happens to the citizens of lands conquered by the Garleans? Is it just, "You fly our flag now. Here is your tax estimate." or are they forced into servitude of the Empire?

I'm trying to figure out at what point in his life Thoreaux would have left, and when he became a Limsa Lominsan.

Also, I just realized I made a mistake when selecting his patron deity in character creation. Do I have to reroll to change it? It should definitely be Althyk.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Nodem - 09-16-2015

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: I read that the Highlander home city was Ala Mhigo, which fell to the Garleans in 1557.
ARR began in 1577, and I don't know what year it is now, but that means a man say age 32 could potentially have been a child when they were defeated.
We just celebrated the second anniversary of the game, and since time is a odd concept when translating it from FFXIV to RL... (one day would be three eorzean weeks! D: ) I go by Real Life days (They have them listed as such on the calendar.) So currently it'd be the year 1579 if you used this way to thinking.

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: Also, I just realized I made a mistake when selecting his patron deity in character creation. Do I have to reroll to change it? It should definitely be Althyk.
You can use a Fantasia to change your patron.

Hope that helps some.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Warren Castille - 09-16-2015

There's plenty of folks playing displaced Ala Mhigans that were present for the fall. We haven't been given a large amount of concrete lore of just what happened after it fell (Now watch Sounsyy come in and prove me a lying liar who lies) but I imagine anyone who didn't run just became part of the conquered peoples. Ala Mhigo was in shambles politically when the Empire swept in, so it's pretty possible that there's plenty of people who didn't mind some stability in the exchange.

Ala Mhigans are a proud people, but I don't think they're entirely foolhardy. A superpower bringing you under its influence beats the hell out of an insane king who ordered an entire discipline murdered because insanity.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Aya - 09-16-2015

Imagine it like conquest by the Romans.  A heavy dose of violence and terror.  Turning any of the local elites who will accept the now way and new rule.  Violence for the resistant elites.  Harsh discipline upon any troublemakers, but an eye toward maintaining order and productivity while assuring steady cultural domination through co-optiion of the upper classes.

A lower class Ala Mhigan who stays out of trouble will get by just fine, faced however with the possibility of forced service, or the opportunity he may find in the rest of the Empire.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Berrod Armstrong - 09-16-2015

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: Hey all,

So I'm currently working on my first ever character on FF14, and I have some questions.

I read that the Highlander home city was Ala Mhigo, which fell to the Garleans in 1557.

What happens to the citizens of lands conquered by the Garleans? Is it just, "You fly our flag now. Here is your tax estimate." or are they forced into servitude of the Empire?

I'm trying to figure out at what point in his life Thoreaux would have left, and when he became a Limsa Lominsan.

Also, I just realized I made a mistake when selecting his patron deity in character creation. Do I have to reroll to change it? It should definitely be Althyk.
Hi there! The current year in game seems to still be 1577, since they're doing the time bubble thing (Big Bird will be 6...FOREVERRRR!), so it's still a '20 years ago' deal.

The conquered may be slaughtered for resisting or conscripted for service in the Empire-- as far as I've seen. I'm sure there's other possibilities.

If you pay your sub for a month, you get a Fantasia potion, which allows you to make cosmetic changes to your character (no name change), including the patron deity and birthday!

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-16-2015

I'll try to answer these to the best of my ability.

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: I read that the Highlander home city was Ala Mhigo, which fell to the Garleans in 1557.

First an foremost: Ala Mhigo is (and was) not 100% Highlanders. A number of important Miqo'te and Hellsguard Roegadyn NPCs are also Ala Mhigan. (Although highlanders were likely the majority).

Some discussion on the current year can be here here.

For a timeline of event (not comprehensive), this may be helpful too! http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV/Timeline

...the current year is a little difficult because we play within a time bubble. Past events are all set in stone, but we could theoretically play FFXIV for 10 years and it'll still be the same year in the game, likely. Approximately, Ala Mhigo "fell" to Garlean rule about 20 years ago. Depending on what you classify as "old", if you wanted an Ala Mhigan character who likely remembers ala Mhigo, I would start with what age you wanted them at the fall, then add years to catch up to the modern day. ...this does open the possibility to playing a character 30-40+. Otherwise, the "I was born there" route could always work.

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: What happens to the citizens of lands conquered by the Garleans? Is it just, "You fly our flag now. Here is your tax estimate." or are they forced into servitude of the Empire?

It's sorta both? My take on the Garleans is that they seek to unify the world under their rule, "saving" it from Primals ("Eikons") and ending all war. ...except they might use war to accomplish that. Under Legatus Gaius van Baelsar, things looked pretty open-minded. We've also seen plenty Garleans fighting who are from colonized lands, although some have been peaceful too! (The Heavensturn event seemed to imply that Domans under Garlean rule had been allowed to travel for trade. It was only when the Domans attempted to rise up gainst their Garlean leaders that their land was razed and they fled to Eorzea.

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: I'm trying to figure out at what point in his life Thoreaux would have left, and when he became a Limsa Lominsan.

I'd save the fantasia for later use. Selecting a patron in the character creator doesn't necesarily force your character into worshipping that member of the Twelve. (Hells, I play a Garlean character! He's got no time for that.) If you'd like your character to worship Althyk, RP it out! The deity picking only modifies a negligible elemental resistance that is otherwise useless in combat.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Vyce - 09-16-2015

I will likely use the fantasia once I have played for a week and know more or less what I want Thor to be. And then transfer to balmung possibly Friday night because RP.

Emphasizing what was said above: Guardian Deity does not equal Personal Belief.

Religion is pretty up in the air in XIV. The Twelve existed. The Twelve might not have existed. They could be actual gods. They could just be myths and legend. They watch over us. They've been dead for years. No one knows. So just because your Ala Mhigan warrior reveres Rhalgr the Destroyer, as would be expected, it's entirely possible that Nymeia the Spinner, if She exists, might favor you because She's got grand designs for your impact on the world regardless of what you happen to believe. Works in mysterious ways, or something.

In short: Don't sweat it, it really exists only for fluff. You get varying +/- 1-3 points in resistances that total in the hundreds meaning they have less-than-margin-of-RNG impact on you.

(09-16-2015, 12:07 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Emphasizing what was said above: Guardian Deity does not equal Personal Belief.

Religion is pretty up in the air in XIV. The Twelve existed. The Twelve might not have existed. They could be actual gods. They could just be myths and legend. They watch over us. They've been dead for years. No one knows. So just because your Ala Mhigan warrior reveres Rhalgr the Destroyer, as would be expected, it's entirely possible that Nymeia the Spinner, if She exists, might favor you because She's got grand designs for your impact on the world regardless of what you happen to believe. Works in mysterious ways, or something.

In short: Don't sweat it, it really exists only for fluff. You get varying +/- 1-3 points in resistances that total in the hundreds meaning they have less-than-margin-of-RNG impact on you.
I hadn't thought of that...I like it! But currently he is favored by the goddess of the sun...which feels dumb. She only likes cats.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - FreelanceWizard - 09-16-2015

As we find out in the books in the Great Gubal Library (and from other cutscenes, such as the Cape Westwind trial), the way a person in a conquered society becomes a citizen is primarily through military service. That's how the Garleans work. They conquer a nation, then they offer a choice: ignoble servitude as functionally slaves, or the chance to become a citizen in the greatest empire the world has known (so they claim; scholarly types would take issue with that Smile ). So, the inhabitants of conquered lands go out and conquer for their masters, secure in the knowledge that success will result in their status being raised.

The Garleans are pretty close to Romans, conceptually, so if you think of conquered cities under Roman rule, you'll be pretty close. Citizens have rights; those who aren't citizens have the right to pay tribute, to scrape and bow, and to do as they're told. Aya's got the right of it from what we've seen in cutscenes.

As a side note, the Garleans actually traded fairly regularly with Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa before they decided to try to conquer them. Sounsyy has some great lore references on that.

(09-16-2015, 12:11 PM)Vyce Wrote:
(09-16-2015, 12:07 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Emphasizing what was said above: Guardian Deity does not equal Personal Belief.

I hadn't thought of that...I like it! But currently he is favored by the goddess of the sun...which feels dumb. She only likes cats.

She watches out for cats. You could be turning down a harem that needs you, my friend.

I will await this mythical Sounsyy

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - rainichan - 09-17-2015

One of mine worships Azeyma, she is not a catte. She's more in it for the fact that she also represents fire, and well... fire is what the character likes. Tongue Ultimately she worships Althyk, but seeing as how Althyk is Azeyma's father, it isn't that big of a jump.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Sounsyy - 09-17-2015

(09-16-2015, 12:17 PM)Vyce Wrote: I will await this mythical Sounsyy

I am myth made manifest!

Hmm... guess I am a Primal...

Ahem, lore:

Ala Mhigo fell to the Garleans in 1557 6AE, or twenty years ago. Because the storyline of FFXIV operates in a time bubble, even though two real years have passed, less than a year has passed in Eorzea, so technically Ala Mhigo still only fell 20 years ago.

Also, it is now the 1st Year of the Seventh Astral Era (technically again), five years after the Calamity. The Year 1577 does not technically exist, because the Year 1577 implies the 1,577th year of the Sixth Astral Era... which never happened because of the Calamity. While 1577 is an easy way to think about and calculate the total passage of time, in RP/IC that year does not exist.

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: I read that the Highlander home city was Ala Mhigo...

Franz touched on this a bit, but while Ala Mhigo was founded by Highlanders, it was also home to several minority races, including Miqo'te, Elezen, Roegadyn, and Lalafell. Essentially, circa 400 years ago, Gyr Abania was home to several warring tribes of peoples of many races. However, a Highlander King arose from the ashes of war and united the tribes together under his rule. Ala Mhigo has had a king ever since.

The Waning of the Sixth Sun Wrote:Tides of War - (Year 1000~1300)
For the next several hundred years, the city-states exhibit steady progress as they grow and gain power. When they seek to expand their claim on surrounding lands, however, new complications arise. Territorial feuds between neighbors lead to heightened tensions in the outlands. As bloody battles break out across the realm, the balance of power begins to shift. Rivers run with blood while coin flows from the hands of the ambitious into the pockets of mercenaries and sellswords. The warring tribes of Gyr Abania are at long last brought together by the Highlander Hyur, and join to form the city-state of Ala Mhigo.

More Ala Mhigan history can be found in the spoiler below:
Show Content

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: What happens to the citizens of lands conquered by the Garleans? Is it just, "You fly our flag now. Here is your tax estimate." or are they forced into servitude of the Empire?

This was discussed to some degree in this thread on Garlean Occupation. The consensus was that Garlean rule varies based upon the amount of resistance put up by the nation. Willfully obedient nations are left alone except there are Garlean soldiers on their street corners and they are no longer allowed to worship their native "false" deities. Nations that resist or choose to rebel are razed without leniency.

It was also recognized that Othard, a continent that's been under Garlean control for at least 25 years now, has continued to have open trade with Eorzea and in 1.0, there was even Assessors from Mealvaan's Gate in Limsa boarding Garlean trade ships.

Lilina Wrote:I've been assigned to a small trading vessel hailing from Garlemald which is due to arrive in less than five bells. Until then, I must review assessor logs pertaining to goods recently confiscated from imperial soil. We would not have any of their unauthorized technologies falling into the hands of unscrupulous individuals... and this city has more than its share of those.

S'gnayak Wrote:Greetings, my lord/lady. I bring exotic goods from lands far to the east.

Similar to Doma, Ala Mhigo initially put up little resistance to Garlean occupation as their nation was utterly shattered by the King of Ruin's madness. Some went so far as to welcome the Garleans. However, when those within the city began resisting complete assimilation, the Garleans slaughtered much of the populace, leading to a mass exodus from the city-state. What able-bodied remained joined the Ala Mhigan Resistance and attempted to wage war against the Garleans.

The Ala Mhigan refugees pleaded with Eorzea to lend them their aid, but the city-states refused and intended to shore up their own resources to defend against the inevitable invasion. (This later led to the birth of the "Adventurer" but that's another story.) When Sharlayan's attempts at a peace treaty failed, the city-state was abandoned and Ala Mhigo was left alone to liberate their homeland. After several failed attempts, Garlemald sought to secure their foothold in Eorzea by building a great wall around the city-state, preventing all access. In a last desperate attempt to scrape a small victory for Eorzea, the Ala Mhigan Resistance managed to slip several of its members into the city-state to act as spies. (This was actually what Minfilia's father died for.)

Show Content

With the Resistance crushed and the newly dubbed "Ala Mhigan Territory" well fortified, the people of the fallen city-state were scattered to the far realms of Eorzea as refugees. Which brings us nicely to...

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: I'm trying to figure out at what point in his life Thoreaux would have left, and when he became a Limsa Lominsan.

Sundhimal Wrote:Though now that there is proof they are from Garlemald, there is no reason not to hunt them down and wipe them out before they can cause the same type of chaos Ala Mhigo fell victim to in years past. Memories of the atrocities committed by the Empire still haunt many in this city-state, for a large number of refugees fled to Limsa Lominsa after their nation fell.

While Limsa Lominsa, a genuinely open melting pot of cultures, admitted the Ala Mhigans, many others were not so fortunate elsewhere. Many of those who sought refuge in neighboring Gridania were rejected:

Charline Wrote:Quarrymill was named for the waterwheels that served to process raw stone into building material. Over the years, it has come to be a gathering place for hunters and trappers, owing to its location amidst elemental-sanctioned hunting grounds. Quarrymill is also a place of judgement. All outsiders who wish to dwell in the Twelveswood must present themselves here to have their worthiness weighed by the elementals. Those whose petition is denied cannot remain in the wood, nor can they receive of its bounty. Harsh though it may seem, this has been the way of it since time immemorial.

Albreda Wrote:I'm one of the fortunate few Ala Mhigans the elementals've permitted to stay in their wood. While I count my blessings, it breaks my heart to see my compatriots without a place to go.

And in Ul'dah, though the Ala Mhigans were permitted to stay, they were met with great discrimination and for a while were not even allowed employment. That is until an Ala Mhigan gladiator named J'moldva.

Berthar Wrote:I ain't no Ala Mhigan. You should say as much yourself, truth or no. Them Ala Mhigans been flockin' into the poor quarters, over there by the Quicksand. Turned the place into a bloody breedin' ground for maladies, they have.

(09-16-2015, 11:04 AM)Vyce Wrote: Also, I just realized I made a mistake when selecting his patron deity in character creation. Do I have to reroll to change it? It should definitely be Althyk.

Feel free to have your patron deity be whatever you'd like! Most of Eorzea is open to the worship of all Twelve, even if some locations and races may culturally prefer one above others. (Azeyma is famously worshiped by the Seekers of the Sun... but also Lalafell! Dating back to pre-Belah'dian times!) Ala Mhigans, prior to King Theodoric, were primarily believers in Rhalgr, until that was outlawed. Nymeia is another prominent deity in their history as was detailed above. But individuals may choose their own deity, such as Althyk if that best suits your character! There was similar discussion in the general lore thread.

Hope this all helps! ^^

/returns to the aether.

RE: Establishing Childhood: Questions - Warren Castille - 09-18-2015

And that's why we summon/love Sounsyy.