Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoiler] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoiler] (/showthread.php?tid=1348)

Pages: 1 2 3

A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoiler] - Merri - 07-26-2012

So, with the current climax to the Seventh Umbral Era storyline, and phrases mentioned within the 2.0 trailer, most people I've spoken with about it have come to one conclusion. I figured a discussion thread on it might be a good and/or fun idea, so, here we go. Obvious spoilers to the Seventh Umbral Era storyline below. (Including a small portion of what occurs after you finish the final battle with Nael van Darnus.)

Show Content

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Eva - 07-26-2012

Honestly, considering just killing Eva off entirely and starting over brand new. Still need more info though. Characters created after 2.0 going to be considered from the 1.0 era as well? The whole thing seems extremely hokey to me. I mean it would be kind of interesting maybe if it was like a few people that left behind everything (families, friends, etc.) from the past. But I assume a lot of people are going to bring this "stuff" with them, and of course other RPers too. And for this kind of an exodus of hundreds of people... I dunno... Playing it by ear.

But I think I would prefer to create a new identity and start fresh with a storyline that isn't going to be a carbon-copy of every other 1.0 RPer's story.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Merri - 07-26-2012

You're absolutely right. It will be a very difficult choice for characters with large families or ties to player-made NPCs, and significantly easier for players who have very few ties that would need to be carried over. Those that would choose not to bring family and friends along with them would obviously be suddenly stuck with a character who's family was presumably killed during Dalamud's destructive rain. Pan that out over the community, and it's quite a few characters with a shockingly similar background all of a sudden.

However, for people who want to start fresh, It's an absolutely perfect chance to do so. Whether your future character is perhaps a relative of your 1.0 character (All depending on how long the gap is. Who knows. Could be 10 years, could be 20, could be 50, or even more.)

Personally, I'm too attached to my character to imagine killing him off, so I'll most likely make due with what lore we're given.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Rhostel - 07-26-2012

One thing to keep in mind is, even if you don't like the idea of your character being sent forward in terms of roleplay, you can still keep the actual character. If we're getting the chance to change our looks (and race), it's entirely possible for there to be different individuals in the future who share the same name. It's not at all unusual for names to run in a family and so forth.

Also, I don't think the entirety of Eorzea will be killed by Dalamud. After all, there's got to be survivors who can rebuild and bring forth the future generations. Those getting sent forward by Louisioux are the ones in Mor Dhona, I guess, where its coming down hardest.

Oh, and, the skip might be fairly short. If it's 15 years or less, I'll definitely have Rhostel left behind. Maybe even up to 20.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Gerik - 07-26-2012

Eva Wrote:Honestly, considering just killing Eva off entirely and starting over brand new. Still need more info though. Characters created after 2.0 going to be considered from the 1.0 era as well? The whole thing seems extremely hokey to me. I mean it would be kind of interesting maybe if it was like a few people that left behind everything (families, friends, etc.) from the past. But I assume a lot of people are going to bring this "stuff" with them, and of course other RPers too. And for this kind of an exodus of hundreds of people... I dunno... Playing it by ear.

But I think I would prefer to create a new identity and start fresh with a storyline that isn't going to be a carbon-copy of every other 1.0 RPer's story.

Nuuuuu you can't!

Gerik hasn't met Eva yet ;;
/fanboy

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Aysun - 07-26-2012

It'd be really crappy if we are 'chosen' ones because of something super specific in the storyline. I mean, what if it's due to the Echo? I know a lot of people don't have that ICly. From the looks of it, it's our favorite old primal Elezen that's in on it, so hopefully it's just cuz we're awesome adventurers who were fighting. xD

I plan on keeping Aysun as is, if she's shoved into the future, I'll play it out. Could be some super fun journal entries lol. I'm too attached!

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Lenana - 07-27-2012

Aysun Wrote:It'd be really crappy if we are 'chosen' ones because of something super specific in the storyline. I mean, what if it's due to the Echo?
The trailer said they chose the bravest ones to be teleported to the future, so probably not.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Derrick1894 - 07-27-2012

Sadly, with being pushed about 20 years or so, I'm thinking about just making it to where just the lives of everyone else change aside from my character. It gives a great twist and a way to play with time. Since it is about 20 years, not everyone has to die. It's possible to make them older or pass the names down the line, but I don't think that passing the name down the line would make them entirely the same person. Maybe a few differences here and there to make it a bit more interesting. Just a suggestion to those with the idea. Smile

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Kylin - 07-27-2012

Not a big fan of how they're seemingly planning this transition. Time travel and RP is always a difficult subject. I wasn't even too big of a fan of FFXI's Wings of the Goddess premise because of it. This is particularly difficult for people who have multiple important NPCs in their storyline. I mean, I just established Cartius (Ky's dad) as a powerful villain to name one example. When it comes to said NPCs, I see only 3 options:

1. Kill them off in the disaster.
2. Have them survive the disaster, but fast-forward 10/20/however many years SE designates into the future, essentially adding that many years instantly to their age. (I made all my NPCs a certain age for a reason...)
3. Find a workaround to have all said NPCs teleported through time with me.

All options have glaring issues and can horribly impact storylines. I'm willing to see how it plays out and go with the flow, but by the looks of it, I'll be forced to go with option 3. Which just comes off as super cheesy. So after the transition, I won't ever be mentioning said transition ever again in RP and will just try to move past it somehow >.>.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Lenana - 07-27-2012

One thing: Is the time travel instantaneous? Or are they just in another dimension or something that entire time?

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Smiling River - 07-27-2012

This whole mess reminds of Rift... weren't all the player characters summoned from the past (after they died, I think) to fight in some 'crucial' time? Yeah, no. It's hacky, horrible writing that many here could improve - and the maws? srs? Yeah just bring back old sh- from XI... that'll do. Because that's what we expect when paying for an MMO, stuff from the previous game. Here is a pencil, make up some new stuff SE. It's not hard to revamp the world for 2.0 w/o maws or time jumps. Or hell if you are gonna do a time jump at least make it plausible.

I haz idea, for example-

Proposal: Cid finds that the aetherial energy has been whacky since Dalamud's fall to Eorzea. He studies these traces in energy, and realizes that as Dalamud grows closer, aetherial power does as well. Now this is not noticeable in magic use, since one person cannot manipulate too much aether anyway, compared to say an aether crystal. Cid gets an idea, thus far our aetherial crystals allowed us to move across a map instantaneously, within our three dimensional world (think of coordinates on a map), however with exponential increase in aetherial energy triggered by Dalamud, the crystals cannot only take us across the map (3 dimensions) but through time (4th dimension) as well. Just in the nick of time he and his team (you can be part of the team if you want, or maybe this is a good basis for a cross LS RP storyline) create a device to help the aether crystals take us into the future, en masse. One way trip, our only salvation. It can account for an unpredictability of exactly how far ahead we'll go, since this is all basically an experiment.

Further explanation: I explained it this way over voice (and will do on the podcast)... imagine a map on a table. So far we can only go anywhere on that map. With more power, we realize there is no one map, but rather a stack of maps going up to infinity, so now we can not only go from point A or B on the map, but also up/down to a different map, aka point in time. That's basically a way to visualize what I am trying to say.

More weird stuff: Now if you/SE really really wants to get weird, we can say that as Dalamud approached it drew the aether out of Hydaelyn beyond what we predicted, so now imagine not a single stack of maps on the table but an infinately large table with an infinite number of maps on it, going up. Ta-da, alternate universes. So we can teleport not only within one time/location... but actually break past the 'borders' of our map unto a different Hydaelyn all together.

Yeah, I know, cool.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Aysun - 07-27-2012

Got to understand Oskar that most people don't want that sort of crazy stuff either. I personally would rather have something simple like what they are doing now. XD I can't give reasons, I just like it. As for it conflicting with your story Kylin.. Sorry. >>

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Smiling River - 07-27-2012

What crazy stuff? Time warp or an example I gave of ways of dealing with it? It's all 'crazy' in a way, I certainly would rather avoid time travel because it's lame... but, if they are going that route I'd rather it be interesting than simple, because time travel + simple = hacky, IMO. Just thinking about everyone in the RP community having a stick up their behind cause their character (as directed by lore) was awesome enough to get summoned and basically be re-born/escape death... /shudder.

Then again we still haven't received the bulk of the information right? Hopefully as we do, we'll have enough to discern our future with our characters.

Re: A Realm Reborn, and it's effect on 1.0 characters. [Spoi - Gerik - 07-27-2012

I think I wouldn't mind it if we were teleported to the future or something, but I guess it's cause he's a simple guy with no real familial attachments, so it's not hard, but I can definitely see how having complex relationship complicates the process of transition ><. I'd prefer an instantaneous teleport rather than some cryogenic process, but I guess that's up to the great gods of SE. I guess I'll roll with the punches and see where it goes.

Something someone posted on the Lodestone that is interesting:

Quote:The trailer says that "we were sent beyond the reach of time where we remained until now" this is in no way insinuating that we are sent to the future. The trailer is stating that we are sent to a place where nothing happens, a dead zone or limbo if you will. The trailer also shows that he is standing in what looks like a battle field with no people and a hole tears open walking through it.

So what I believe happens is in a last ditch effort to protect the only people that can save the realm he send us to a place where time stands still until we can safely return to kick major ass.

Discuss.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/50477-The-trailer-says-nothing-about-time-travel">http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/thre ... ime-travel</a><!-- m -->.

So it's like i was asking about. It's not exactly time traveling, from the way it sounds.