Hydaelyn Role-Players
Selling housing now illegal? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Selling housing now illegal? (/showthread.php?tid=13527)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Selling housing now illegal? - Seye Qhesu - 09-22-2015

[Image: 6i5Iduh.png]

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Warren Castille - 09-22-2015

That's ridiculous.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Lucius Ignatius - 09-22-2015

Er... wow. That is kinda... crazy. I dont even have a house yet and thats very... I dont get why. O.o Its a very stupid violation imo...

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Blue - 09-22-2015

Maybe he simply means that making someone pay to relinquish a plot is a violation (and honestly, that's how it always felt like to me. It's just unfair to make someone pay more than what the game already forces them to). If you leave your plot without making anyone pay for you to leave, it should be fine.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Warren Castille - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 08:06 AM)Blue Wrote: Maybe he simply means that making someone pay to relinquish a plot is a violation (and honestly, that's how it always felt like to me. It's just unfair to make someone pay more than what the game already forces them to). If you leave your plot without making anyone pay for you to leave, it should be fine.

He explicitly says there's no money being exchanged, and the players are only paying for the plot from the plot itself. The GM is saying that agreeing to swap plots is somehow illegal.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - X'raemha Rhiki - 09-22-2015

I'm so confused. 

If there's no gil exchanged how is that buying, selling, or trading? Where in the rules is it stated that this is a problem? 

And even if there -was- gil paid to relinquish the plot, it's in-game currency for an in-game service / feature / item. That'd be like saying you can't pay someone to craft something for you. 

How are they going to have something as limited / exclusive as housing and then say 'lol btw you can't buy, sell, or trade plots GOOD LUCK'?

This makes no sense to me. 

-flips a table and walks off-

EDIT - Yeah looking at the official forums I see literally nothing indicating that this is a violation, no forum CM has stepped into ANY of the threads of 'WTB House' and said 'btw this is a violation'. I'm gonna find the EULA and read it very carefully. 

Because this is what I do on my days off.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Ardent Dawn - 09-22-2015

Either the GM is new, doesn't understand the situation, or isn't fully aware of the ToS, because trading gil for housing is in no way a violation of the ToS. There isn't any actual RMT going on here -- just players exchanging gil for a service (the right to relinquishment).

I understand that gil isn't even being exchanged in this scenario, but the above still rests. The only thing that might flag your account is exchanging large quantities of gil, which might place you under review.

However, what is debatable is if they will investigate and do something in case there is a scam or the transaction goes awry.

If you want clarification, I'd not only e-mail support but also put this up on the official forums. They might take it down due to the GM's name being visible, so that should be blurred. Hopefully that will give a better response as to whether this GM's opinion overrides the actual Terms of Service.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Vyce - 09-22-2015

It seems like the GM wasn't totally understanding, and may have been pasting macros. Perhaps English isn't the first language...though he/she did correct a typo.
I just feel like Enix handles tech support like most companies.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - X'raemha Rhiki - 09-22-2015

So yeah I just looked through the EULA. 

There's nothing - literally nothing - that says you can't exchange in-game currency for in-game stuff. Trying to restrict that would be insane. 

The only thing I can think is that the GM just seriously misunderstood you and thought you were buying / selling / trading for real-world currency? idk.  

Even the very explicit list of Prohibited Activities says nothing about selling / trading houses for gil.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Spethah - 09-22-2015

I can see why the GM don't want people to sell houses, because it can lead to scams plus you're forcing people to pay a much higher price to get a house than if it was just relinquished for nothing and then someone paid for it after.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Moonlit - 09-22-2015

I believe at one point it was stated by devs that action would not be taken against the selling/trade/purchase of player-to-player housing. I'd have to see if I can find the quote because that information is second hand. Reviewing the logs, it does look like English was not their first language (or they're grandly misunderstanding the situation), and reviewing the ToS (mind, I haven't made my way fully through it) I haven't seen anything that would label it against their policies (as it isn't RMT). 

Edited to add: It is possible the dev thought that there was real cash being exchanged instead of gil. It was clarified that gil wasn't being traded but the report he received may of claimed real cash.

Update (9/22/15 | 6:03AM PST): I remain unable to find the official dev statement (should it actually exist). However, my read through of the ToS remains unable to find where this particular trade (read: gil that hasn't been purchased with real cash, housing that isn't bought with real cash, gil exchange only) is illegal / against policies.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Nebbs - 09-22-2015

Why would you even raise a ticket? I mean all you are doing is purchasing a plot that just came empty. It just seems off. Spoof?

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Seye Qhesu - 09-22-2015

Just for clarification I didn't put in the ticket. This was yoinked from someone. I just thought it was odd.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Gegenji - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 09:07 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Why would you even raise a ticket? I mean all you are doing is purchasing a plot that just came empty. It just seems off. Spoof?

Yeah, the GM's name kinda looks off to me. Are the GMs in the game just CALLED Gm? I would figure they'd have a tag or something.

Derp, I can read. Completely missed the [GM] tag that is so obviously there. That's what I get for looking at the post on my phone so I could see the image.

RE: Selling housing now illegal? - Moonlit - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 09:11 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 09:07 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Why would you even raise a ticket? I mean all you are doing is purchasing a plot that just came empty. It just seems off. Spoof?

Yeah, the GM's name kinda looks off to me. Are the GMs in the game just CALLED Gm? I would figure they'd have a tag or something.

From what I understand, [] cannot be used in naming conventions. Thus, [GM] Gm <name> is official (I also searched other logs and this is the method of naming they use in ffxiv). This suggests it isn't a spoof. People will report others for various reasons.

I do agree that it feels off. It's too vague, the language isn't explanatory, he doesn't answer the questions properly, etc. This heightens suspicion that the GM is new or doesn't understand English quite as well.Â