Hydaelyn Role-Players
Windows 10 rant - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Windows 10 rant (/showthread.php?tid=13569)

Windows 10 rant - Zetchryn - 09-24-2015

This might not be restricted to Windows 10, but that's what I'm running and I need to fume... This morning, I got an error. Basically this error: [Image: 02df84958fc6a1ca8bcca9157e569b93.png]

So, I try various solutions to the problem, old, new, and the like, and finally find out that damn WINDOWS had decided that FFXIV was evil, and needed to die. After having to mess around in the main files for a bit (files that it kept closing on me due to it's security measures, thinking I was a virus!), I finally fix the issue...

But now FFXIV needs to repatch.

There is a certain pit of hell reserved for my computer at the moment.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Desu Nee - 09-24-2015

It's always a thing when new operational system comes, the games still aren't optimized for them, and hell raises.

I lost like, 3 japanese games I had here, because the fan patches and japanese locators won't work with them, and FF14 used to suddenly lose all sound and incapable of opening the menu for a bit before I tinkered a bit.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Vyce - 09-24-2015

(09-24-2015, 11:03 AM)Zetchryn Wrote: This might not be restricted to Windows 10, but that's what I'm running and I need to fume... This morning, I got an error. Basically this error: [Image: 02df84958fc6a1ca8bcca9157e569b93.png]

So, I try various solutions to the problem, old, new, and the like, and finally find out that damn WINDOWS had decided that FFXIV was evil, and needed to die. After having to mess around in the main files for a bit (files that it kept closing on me due to it's security measures, thinking I was a virus!), I finally fix the issue...

But now FFXIV needs to repatch.

There is a certain pit of hell reserved for my computer at the moment.

I'm not sure it's Windows 10 specifically at fault, but I'm sorry that happened to ya, bb.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-24-2015

I have windows 10 and FFXIV on three of my computers.

It's not a Win10 bug.

But I would generally try running the game as an administrator before modifying any files. (and make a backup of the game folder on occasion. You can run it from anywhere if you just reinstall the launcher and replace it!)

RE: Windows 10 rant - Zetchryn - 09-24-2015

Oh, what basically happened, for those that are curious, is that windows defender decided to block FFXIV from connecting with frontier.ffxiv.com, the patching service. It viewed this as a hostile action. It wouldn't allow me to run the launcher as an administrator, as even with administrator privileges, it decided that the website was still completely evil.

Long story short, I just put in an exception on the website. The messing around in system files was to get it to stop auto-closing the window whenever I went into Windows Defender.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-24-2015

(09-24-2015, 11:29 AM)Zetchryn Wrote: Oh, what basically happened, for those that are curious, is that windows defender decided to block FFXIV from connecting with frontier.ffxiv.com, the patching service. It viewed this as a hostile action. It wouldn't allow me to run the launcher as an administrator, as even with administrator privileges, it decided that the website was still completely evil.

Long story short, I just put in an exception on the website. The messing around in system files was to get it to stop auto-closing the window whenever I went into Windows Defender.

Maybe it was detecting a man in the middle attack or something. ...if your ISP gives spotty service, it might have a bad DNS server that coulda made the legitimate server look untrusted.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Devyn Piper - 09-24-2015

Zetchryn: I would strongly recommend using a third party malware scanning service, such as Malwarebytes, to make sure there's nothing nasty hiding out on your computer.  This is in addition to any anti-malware or anti-virus software you have anyway, as different programs often catch different things.

In my experience, malware LOVES to mess with your current anti-malware/anti-virus software by disabling it or making it impossible for you to change the settings - it's how it makes sure it can continue running around unchecked.  I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here but better safe than sorry!

RE: Windows 10 rant - Ignacius - 09-24-2015

Definitely run an AV on your computer; I'm running FFXIV on a Windows 10 machine and I don't think it's an incompatibility issue.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Zetchryn - 09-24-2015

(09-24-2015, 11:49 AM)Devyn Piper Wrote: Zetchryn: I would strongly recommend using a third party malware scanning service, such as Malwarebytes, to make sure there's nothing nasty hiding out on your computer.  This is in addition to any anti-malware or anti-virus software you have anyway, as different programs often catch different things.

In my experience, malware LOVES to mess with your current anti-malware/anti-virus software by disabling it or making it impossible for you to change the settings - it's how it makes sure it can continue running around unchecked.  I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here but better safe than sorry!

Oh, I have a separate AV going on, so that just messes with some settings!

And it's not an incompatibility issue, it's... Well. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2vvbny/launcher_error_2146697208_none_of_the_previously/

This issue. It's a common problem with the game and windows defender. Windows 10 turns windows defender back on automatically, and it messes with settings my other anti-virus uses.

RE: Windows 10 rant - Valde - 09-27-2015

When I updated my machine to Win 10 I had a problem where despite my account being an administrator all my files were locked away from me. After trying work around solutions to set my account to administrator for those folders (Including game installations) it ended with the system going corrupt and me having to do a clean install of my old Win 7.

Windows 10 has left me with a decided sour taste in my mouth after that experience, hope others end up with a smoother installation.