Hydaelyn Role-Players
Healing - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Healing (/showthread.php?tid=13702)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Healing - Lucius Ignatius - 10-08-2015

(10-04-2015, 02:31 AM)Aaron Wrote: If its anything less than a broken bone or collapsed organ.

Magically heal dat ish. If not, i like to drag it out.

Pretty much this. If I were healing, I prefer using bandages with ointments, or anything that would be slow acting/realistic. It depends on the wound and what the characters have available. I like to play out injuries. However, for me, I prefer not to die. If the person I heal decides to, that is up to them, as long as it makes sense. I dont wanna see me heal someone and they bleed out by a flesh wound uncontrollably. Tongue

I haven't yet taken part in Grindstone, but I may eventually.

RE: Healing - Warren Castille - 10-08-2015

(10-03-2015, 10:07 AM)Kaiz Wrote: snip

I don't disagree that it's on the person being hit to sell damage, but folks love a dramatic comeback and victory, and they want to look like it took a lot of effort to put them down. It's just part of the Fantasy part of the Final Fantasy thing and that's fine.

The healing stuff was in place before I got around to standing on the rock, and I don't like changing rules! It's just a helpful deterrent from potential OOC problems: While I don't get as much stuff relayed to me in /tells about logistics now there was a point where I'd get two or three complaints a night about how they lost / how their opponent won / is this cheating / that wasn't good natured / and so on and so on. Anything that removes a portion of it ("I lost to someone who only had one arm and three broken ribs! That makes no sense!" -strawman, 2015) is helpful in my book.

RE: Healing - Garalona - 10-08-2015

With Garalona, her background is that she was a traditional chirugeon first and then moved on to studying conjuring after she got out of prison for forging her medical credentials (whoops). The way she figured it, once you get the elements to listen to you; there's no worry of little details like licenses and actually having attended college.

Even so, magic isn't her first art, and she prefers not to use it unless someone is actively in danger of dying. At an event like the Grindstone she'd probably just usual traditional methods to patch someone up and then slap them with a touch of Regeneration so they're at full strength by the time the next bout is up.

To her, magical healing is a lot of effort and energy, and besides that Elementals freak her out. ALL magic does, actually, white magic just happens to be "safest" in her books, comparatively speaking. She'll gladly do an old fashioned surgery, getting herself covered in blood and taking twice as long, just so it means she doesn't have to deal with all that.

I personally really like coming up with characters who have different views on healing and how easy it is/how often it should be done. If someone were to ask her why she can't just cast Cure over them and call it a day, she'd kick them in the shins, tell them to remember that ache, and walk away. She's already done it once before.

RE: Healing - LiadansWhisper - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 03:19 PM)Garalona Wrote: With Garalona, her background is that she was a traditional chirugeon first and then moved on to studying conjuring after she got out of prison for forging her medical credentials (whoops). The way she figured it, once you get the elements to listen to you; there's no worry of little details like licenses and actually having attended college.

Even so, magic isn't her first art, and she prefers not to use it unless someone is actively in danger of dying. At an event like the Grindstone she'd probably just usual traditional methods to patch someone up and then slap them with a touch of Regeneration so they're at full strength by the time the next bout is up.

To her, magical healing is a lot of effort and energy, and besides that Elementals freak her out. ALL magic does, actually, white magic just happens to be "safest" in her books, comparatively speaking. She'll gladly do an old fashioned surgery, getting herself covered in blood and taking twice as long, just so it means she doesn't have to deal with all that.

I personally really like coming up with characters who have different views on healing and how easy it is/how often it should be done. If someone were to ask her why she can't just cast Cure over them and call it a day, she'd kick them in the shins, tell them to remember that ache, and walk away. She's already done it once before.

Well, Cure's not White Magic anyway.  Smile  It's Conjury!  ^_^

Your character's viewpoint is amusing when juxtaposed with my own character's viewpoint - she sees things like "surgery" (or whatever crazy way it's spelled in the game) as barbaric.  Why would you cut someone when you can mend what's wrong without effectively stabbing them?

Perhaps the two will meet one day.  Big Grin

RE: Healing - Nebbs - 10-08-2015

I tend to take an approach similar to not god modding. that is the player being healed gets to decide the effect. As healer I RP the healing I do but not the outcome, and if there is time this can be quite detailed. As the character being healed I respond to the quality of the RP healing and the overall RP.

So where there is positive RP to be gained from healing in RP I will play it out, where this would disrupt RP I tend to down play it and accept some wound but carry on. 

For RP where healing is the focus then these can last days, with convoluted journeys, quests and such.

RE: Healing - Garalona - 10-08-2015

(10-08-2015, 03:49 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 03:19 PM)Garalona Wrote: With Garalona, her background is that she was a traditional chirugeon first and then moved on to studying conjuring after she got out of prison for forging her medical credentials (whoops). The way she figured it, once you get the elements to listen to you; there's no worry of little details like licenses and actually having attended college.

Well, Cure's not White Magic anyway.  Smile  It's Conjury!  ^_^

Your character's viewpoint is amusing when juxtaposed with my own character's viewpoint - she sees things like "surgery" (or whatever crazy way it's spelled in the game) as barbaric.  Why would you cut someone when you can mend what's wrong without effectively stabbing them?

Perhaps the two will meet one day.  Big Grin

Potato, popoto. Tongue

I look forward to that happening, too.

(10-08-2015, 04:24 PM)Garalona Wrote: Potato, popoto. Tongue

It really isn't.  ._.  It's a huuuuuuge distinction.  White Magic is forbidden and hard to access.  Conjury is so easy to pick up that almost anyone can do so, unless they're completely unable to interact with magic (like a native Garlean, for instance).

RE: Healing - No Longer Exists - 10-08-2015

As Liadan and I share a Free Company and my character, Doc Oak is also a chirurgeon among other medical and alchemical practices geared toward the art of well being; I think it might be wonderful to RP these three (and anyone else interested) having this debate.

As far as GS goes, the trouble with selling Healing in RP whether it's holistic or magical is that it takes time away from the GS itself and many players seem disinterested in taking the time to RP being bandaged up and rubbed down in salves. With an event that has a time constraint (not that it's IN the GS to stop at any time, but that it takes hours to complete), it's difficult to really push for RPing out holistic forms of healing without limiting the other players involved.

As for conjury, there've been some discussions about its use as a practical balm for minor nuisances. I vaguely remember a reference to some lore about conjury being conditional on the whim of the elementals as to whether it would work on someone or not. Some healers, Oak included, use alternative forms such as Equivalent Exchange as a means to RP bypass that lore quandary. Oak pulls energy from other things, even himself, to heal when he has to use conjury in order to limit the strain of it and in return, he plants flora and fauna or helps rebalance a region's natural resources to make up for the usage. I find it fun to RP that conscientious awareness of the delicate balance of powerful things. Unless an emergency (or the GS), Oak uses medical knowledge and alchemical or herbal remedies to treat injuries.

And finally, a shameless plug. Doc Oak is the chief medical officer of the Red Wings FC and I would loooooooove to grow the medical/scientific division more. If anyone's interested in RPing a medical professional or scientific professional character in a militiarized (but not rigidly so) FC; send me a PM.

-Hatter

(10-08-2015, 09:11 PM)Black Hat Wrote: As Liadan and I share a Free Company and my character, Doc Oak is also a chirurgeon among other medical and alchemical practices geared toward the art of well being; I think it might be wonderful to RP these three (and anyone else interested) having this debate.

While we're in the same FC, Liadan is not currently active in the Red Wings.  So if you show up to Gridania... xD

Quote:As for conjury, there've been some discussions about its use as a practical balm for minor nuisances. I vaguely remember a reference to some lore about conjury being conditional on the whim of the elementals as to whether it would work on someone or not.

As I said in an earlier post, while the Elementals can say, "Hey, don't heal that asshat!," that doesn't mean that the "asshat" cannot be healed via Conjury.  What it means is that if you do so, you'll piss off the Elementals.  The only limits on what you can really do with Conjury are the strength of the aether around you and your own skill.  If the Elementals were actively policing the use of Conjury, I somehow doubt that the Garlean conscripts would be able to use it against those within the Shroud/against the Shroud itself.  Yet, the Garlean conscript Conjurers are still able to do so.

RE: Healing - Garalona - 10-09-2015

(10-08-2015, 07:56 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 04:24 PM)Garalona Wrote: Potato, popoto. Tongue

It really isn't.  ._.  It's a huuuuuuge distinction.  White Magic is forbidden and hard to access.  Conjury is so easy to pick up that almost anyone can do so, unless they're completely unable to interact with magic (like a native Garlean, for instance).

Oof, my mistake, was still thinking in blanket Final Fantasy terms.

RE: Healing - Sounsyy - 10-09-2015

(10-08-2015, 10:47 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: As I said in an earlier post, while the Elementals can say, "Hey, don't heal that asshat!," that doesn't mean that the "asshat" cannot be healed via Conjury.  What it means is that if you do so, you'll piss off the Elementals.  The only limits on what you can really do with Conjury are the strength of the aether around you and your own skill.  If the Elementals were actively policing the use of Conjury, I somehow doubt that the Garlean conscripts would be able to use it against those within the Shroud/against the Shroud itself.  Yet, the Garlean conscript Conjurers are still able to do so.

Pretty much this. The elementals can dictate to conjurers of the Fane who they think should be healed or not healed (talk to Quarrymill npcs) but ultimately, the conjurer can still heal them. There's a story about a conjurer who was banished from Gridania for healing a wounded Ixal, for instance.

Also, lore from the scholasticae in Ishgard says that they too teach their students in Conjury and Thaumaturgy. Despite Ishgard's symbiotic relationship with Gridania, I highly doubt the Ishgardian conjurers pay similar homage to the elementals, even though they are well aware of their existence.

Interestingly, Arcanima and tome-summoning is considered heretical. Though select students at the scholasticae are being allowed to research its applications.

RE: Healing - Arik - 10-09-2015

As others have said, it really depends on the situation and who I'm RPing with.

If the wounds are relatively minor, I'm fine saying that the magic quickly expedites the healing process-- probably closing cuts, lightning bruises, etc etc and allowing my character to swiftly bounce back.

However, when it comes to more serious wounds which could prove fatal in less fantastic settings-- like getting run with a sword Aerith Gainsborough style-- death is still possible and I very much prefer the healing process to take some time. Healing can very well stabilize a character's health and thus be the make-it-or-break-it factor between my character dying or otherwise being stabilized to live another day, but the healing would not -entirely- resolve the wound.

I've upset many a healer in the past who wanted their abilities to be 100% successful but I chose to retain some amount of said wounds regardless. Luckily, my usual pocket conjurer these days shares these opinions as my own and often even employs traditional, non-magic first aid on a regular basis.

RE: Healing - LiadansWhisper - 10-09-2015

(10-09-2015, 01:43 PM)Arik Wrote: As others have said, it really depends on the situation and who I'm RPing with.

If the wounds are relatively minor, I'm fine saying that the magic quickly expedites the healing process-- probably closing cuts, lightning bruises, etc etc and allowing my character to swiftly bounce back.

However, when it comes to more serious wounds which could prove fatal in less fantastic settings-- like getting run with a sword Aerith Gainsborough style-- death is still possible and I very much prefer the healing process to take some time. Healing can very well stabilize a character's health and thus be the make-it-or-break-it factor between my character dying or otherwise being stabilized to live another day, but the healing would not -entirely- resolve the wound.

I've upset many a healer in the past who wanted their abilities to be 100% successful but I chose to retain some amount of said wounds regardless. Luckily, my usual pocket conjurer these days shares these opinions as my own and often even employs traditional, non-magic first aid on a regular basis.

It's generally always going to be the choice of the victim, as it were, as to how the healing will impact them. I really don't agree with those who believe they should be able to fully control how their healing affects others. It should be a mutual, negotiated outcome, because we're telling a story TOGETHER.

RE: Healing - SicketySix - 10-09-2015

I view healing more as a "I've helped them to recover quicker" kind of thing, but all the limitations of healing would still be there.

If I were to ever have a broken bone while IC,and even if it was healed, I would still RP the recovery for at least the next few days. I couldn't see myself going for a month rping around a broken arm. Which is where I think magic comes in.

RE: Healing - Aris - 10-09-2015

As someone who is looking to RP as a healer, I should generally ask them OOC what they want the outcome to be then? Smile

Edit: Sorry Warren, asking questions on your thread.