Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight (/showthread.php?tid=13778)

Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - SessionZero - 10-06-2015

So, following up on my thread about "mundane" soldiers in the War of the Magi, I wanted to proffer a character idea I've been mulling around in my head. Namely, a soldier/knight character who is somehow placed in stasis/suspended animation/frozen in time/sent forward in time/etc from the Fifth Astral Era during said war, and awakens in the current time. The most likely background would be a Nymian soldier who fought under the guidance of the Scholars, but I think work-arounds could be found for them to be some sort of Amdapori guardian as well, placed in some sort of suspended animation when the elementals began to overrun the keep. 

Just a rough outline for the moment. Feedback/constructive criticism welcome.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Oli! - 10-06-2015

Sounds to me like it would be less complicated to play someone that had re-discovered the art.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - SicketySix - 10-06-2015

(10-06-2015, 11:46 AM)Oli! Wrote: Sounds to me like it would be less complicated to play someone that had re-discovered the art.

Yes but where is the fun in that!?

And though it's not really my style of RP, I think it would be interesting to consider.....waking up....in someone else's body, almost as if your soul/echo/whatever simply found a new host. You would retain all your previous memories but have no recollection of whose body you now reside in.

Might be interesting, but I don't others would accept it.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Martiallais - 10-06-2015

I think it's a pretty neat idea. I'm unfamiliar with the finer points of the lore and it'd definitely be something to like brush up on, but it could be fun depending on how you run with it.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - SessionZero - 10-06-2015

(10-06-2015, 11:46 AM)Oli! Wrote: Sounds to me like it would be less complicated to play someone that had re-discovered the art.

Well, the point would be that there's no real art to re-discover. They're a non-magic combatant in a wizard war. The Imperial Guard to Nym's Space Marines. And through some zany magical mishap, are locked in time until the present, when they are freed and begin to piece together their past, and work through the realization that everything they once knew now lies in ruins. Or wanders the Palace as a little green toad thing that stabs people.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Vyce - 10-06-2015

Unfortunately, the Nymeans were wiped out by plague. Those who survived are Tonberries. Only a very few were left on this side of the seal until the cataclysm.

You'll have a better shot with Amdapor.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Warren Castille - 10-06-2015

To play Devil's Advocate here:

You'd wake up in a world with no knowledge of the customs, the country, any of the cities, perhaps not even the language. Everyone you know is dead, everything you know is dead, and you're surrounded by people you cannot relate to (especially not any more than, say, you could relate to 12th century folks wherever you live IRL) who likely will think you're completely insane and/or a threat to people depending on how much you're screaming.

It could be interesting, but getting traction with people might prove difficult.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Kage - 10-06-2015

To be honest, I would totally say "Wait for 3.1" and see what Void Ark brings. Even though it's not a WAR or a Nymean Marine, we don't know toooo much about the Mhachi.

Some far theories are speculating about the coffin/caskets that line a lot of the ark as well as hang from it. If you're building an escape ship... why have a bunch of your dead brethren? Stasis caskets.

Edit: But the bigger question may be "just how far can you take a character with this?" How would you develop learning the new world? How would you develop learning the language and understanding?

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Sounsyy - 10-06-2015

(10-06-2015, 11:17 AM)SessionZero Wrote: Namely, a soldier/knight character who is somehow placed in stasis/suspended animation/frozen in time/sent forward in time/etc from the Fifth Astral Era during said war, and awakens in the current time.

I have a feeling this will be a thing in the upcoming Void Ark raid. Since it's a Fifth Astral Era creation meant to escape the flood of the Sixth Umbral Era. People have noted a series of coffins hanging from the bottom of the ship and the vessel itself seems to run on residual aether. It's possible/likely that the storyline will include some stasis'd Mhachi who will tell us all about the War of the Magi from his perspective, similar to how some Allagan clones arrived to tell us about the Crystal Tower. So, please look forward to that. Your concept may become more fleshed out this november.

(10-06-2015, 11:17 AM)SessionZero Wrote: The most likely background would be a Nymian soldier who fought under the guidance of the Scholars, but I think work-arounds could be found for them to be some sort of Amdapori guardian as well, placed in some sort of suspended animation when the elementals began to overrun the keep.

Just wanted to clarify this bit, I'm not sure what you mean by elementals overrunning the keep? Amdapor was destroyed by the Mhachi's voidsent slaves, namely Diabolos. It wasn't until after this that the elementals abandoned hope for mankind and in their keening summoned the Elemental of Nihility, Oha-Sok, to usher in the Great Flood. So Amdapor had already been overrun. But after the flood, the elementals grew up the Twelveswood around the city and swallowed it to keep it hidden from the world.

E-Sumi-Yan Wrote:Amdapor was not always thus afflicted. Indeed, the city once owed an age of prosperity to the benevolent art of white magic. But that was before the War of the Magi. It is told that the enemies of the Amdapori abandoned all caution in their pursuit of victory, and used their dark magicks to summon a king among demons. Though the mages of Amdapor eventually succeeded in imprisoning this fell creature, its recent resurgence speaks eloquently to the impermanence and unpredictability of arcane energies.

Raya-O-Senna Wrote:Oha-Sok is the collective fury of the elementals given form. Their suffering summoned her forth, and in her turn she stokes the fire of their rage with her keening. As I related to you earlier, it was the rage of the elementals that brought an end to the civilization of the Fifth Astral Era. And now the selfsame harbinger of that destruction is come once more. The histories vividly describe the fearsome nature of the elemental of nihility─or “the Wrath,” as she is sometimes called. It is writ that each time she keens, she sets off a hundred of her kind to doing the same. Ever more elementals shall join the keening, and so shall it continue until their chorus rends the land asunder. And then the heavens shall spill forth a deluge of tears, and the trees weep till they are hoarse of voice. Oha-Sok's awakening spells cataclysm for Eorzea...

The Sixth Umbral Era Wrote:The peoples of the Fifth Astral Era will be remembered for building their civilization on a foundation of magic, relentlessly tapping Hydaelyn of her lifeblood to indulge their decadence. The burden of the planet, however, would prove too great. Aetherial balance was lost, and the elements ran wild. At the urgent behest of a party of twelve shadowy figures history only remembers as the Archons, the nations agree to consolidate their remaining resources and form the Grand Companies of Eorzea in an attempt to forestall the coming apocalypse. But it was too little, too late. The damage done to Hydaelyn was irreversible, and the people could only wait and watch as their fates played out.

Rain fell from the skies for three score days and three score nights until all but the highest peaks were submerged in an endless sea. Whole cities were swallowed, entire populations lost. The Fifth Astral Era had come to a close, ushering the darkness of the Sixth Umbral Era.

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - Kage - 10-06-2015

(10-06-2015, 01:33 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 11:17 AM)SessionZero Wrote: Namely, a soldier/knight character who is somehow placed in stasis/suspended animation/frozen in time/sent forward in time/etc from the Fifth Astral Era during said war, and awakens in the current time.

I have a feeling this will be a thing in the upcoming Void Ark raid. Since it's a Fifth Astral Era creation meant to escape the flood of the Sixth Umbral Era. People have noted a series of coffins hanging from the bottom of the ship and the vessel itself seems to run on residual aether. It's possible/likely that the storyline will include some stasis'd Mhachi who will tell us all about the War of the Magi from his perspective, similar to how some Allagan clones arrived to tell us about the Crystal Tower. So, please look forward to that. Your concept may become more fleshed out this november.

(10-06-2015, 12:16 PM)Kage Wrote: To be honest, I would totally say "Wait for 3.1" and see what Void Ark brings. Even though it's not a WAR or a Nymean Marine, we don't know toooo much about the Mhachi.

Some far theories are speculating about the coffin/caskets that line a lot of the ark as well as hang from it. If you're building an escape ship... why have a bunch of your dead brethren? Stasis caskets.

Heard it here first folks!

Here's a few images that will make you wonder. These coffins or caskets are -everywhere- in the Ark design.
[Image: oBHSuQc.jpg]
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
[Image: l1GGWaW.jpg]

EVEN INSIDE
[Image: a54e4d29867df91b9f4886fce4dda1c1e127c222.jpg]

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - rainichan - 10-07-2015

Stasis could be a thing, especially with the Amdapori, seeing as how they were the ones that did the time/space magic in lore. Sounds like a fun idea. Big Grin

RE: Character Idea: Fifth Astral Era Knight - kamikrazy - 10-08-2015

I don't see anything really wrong with this idea, and it isn't something that's super common either. Just know your lore -really- well, and be prepared to ICly dismiss questions that demand answers you OOCly don't know.

With as many crazier things that we've seen happen, I don't think a single person being stuck in stasis would be too far-fetched.