Hydaelyn Role-Players
Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Potentially Lorebreaking Names (/showthread.php?tid=13872)

Pages: 1 2 3

Potentially Lorebreaking Names - TK Hikaru - 10-13-2015

So, the character I intend to roleplay with is a bit of an oddity concerning her name.
She's a highlander Hyur named Chouwa Morrison. The reason for the obviously Doman given name is due to the fact her mother was Doman and wanted to honor her heritage. Chouwa herself does acknowledge the fact her name is strange, but also admits she likes it.

The surname however doesn't comply with Highlander naming conventions, sounding more like a Midlander's surname. My best guess is that her Highlander side of the family's always been a bit odd with their surnames.

None the less, I wanted to know if anyone would have any issues concerning her names.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Aaron - 10-13-2015

If anyone is so lore heavy that they have a problem with your characters name (especially if it isn't that out of line) you're better off avoiding those people imo.

Nevertheless most probably won't bat an eye at your name.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - SessionZero - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:17 PM)TK Hikaru Wrote: So, the character I intend to roleplay with is a bit of an oddity concerning her name.
She's a highlander Hyur named Chouwa Morrison. The reason for the obviously Doman given name is due to the fact her mother was Doman and wanted to honor her heritage. Chouwa herself does acknowledge the fact her name is strange, but also admits she likes it.

The surname however doesn't comply with Highlander naming conventions, sounding more like a Midlander's surname. My best guess is that her Highlander side of the family's always been a bit odd with their surnames.

None the less, I wanted to know if anyone would have any issues concerning her names.

I have every issue with this, re: her name.

[Image: 200_s.gif]

No I kid. Roughly 50% of the rper population uses lore-breaking names. Hell I use lore-breaking names. It's really not a big deal. If people don't want to rp with you because your character's name is strange, well, they can go off and let their jimmies be rustled in their own corner while you go off and have fun. It ain't that serious.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-13-2015

For the most part, I've seen the community (whether on RPC or not) be pretty friendly abouts names. Having an explanation does help though! I've found the community to be pretty understanding.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Melodia - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:27 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: For the most part, I've seen the community (whether on RPC or not) be pretty friendly abouts names. Having an explanation does help though! I've found the community to be pretty understanding.
Agreed. There isn't anything lore friendly about Melodia D'janz but no one's ever given me a hard time. In fact most people will weave it into the rp, asking about the name. Smile

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Vyce - 10-13-2015

Her last name is more Midlander than Highlander.

Midlander names resemble mundane last names like Smith.

Highlander names resemble traits and actions. Wyldhart. Armstrong. Gunner. Brawley. Willstone.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - TK Hikaru - 10-13-2015

Thanks everyone.

Honestly I figured no one would really have any issues with names considering the logical explanations.

But I felt it wouldn't hurt to ask.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - SicketySix - 10-13-2015

Yeah that name is fine.

Now if you walked around with a name like "Swiggle Crackers".....
Well that's an entirely different story lol

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Nebbs - 10-13-2015

Seriously, who gets upset with names.. imagine that in RL?

Only thing to avoid is, in priority order
  1. Names done to be offensive
  2. Clearly stupid names
  3. Clearly non RP names
  4. Famous OOC names
  5. Famous fantasy names & especially anyone called Drizzt
  6. Famous IC name
  7. Names from back in lore (especially if you steal the plot)
  8. Names with daft characters I can't type
  9. Names that don't fit lore (like female Nuhn)
  10. Anyone called Nebula
  11. Names that are a squiggle
  12. Names that have little hearts for dots over "i"
  13. Writing right to left (yes you siroD)
  14. Any honorific (Lord, Magistrate, Shopkeeper)
  15. Names with no vowels
  16. ... and so on 

(10-13-2015, 01:09 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Seriously, who gets upset with names.. imagine that in RL?

1. Names that don't fit lore (like female Nuhn)

Which I've seen exactly that before.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - SessionZero - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 01:17 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(10-13-2015, 01:09 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Seriously, who gets upset with names.. imagine that in RL?

How do you know that person wasn't a catboy then decided they needed maximum nyan and Fantasia'd but couldn't afford a name change?

I've seen plenty of Au Ra named Tia and Nuhn.

(10-13-2015, 01:35 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
(10-13-2015, 01:17 PM)SicketySix Wrote:

How do you know that person wasn't a catboy then decided they needed maximum nyan and Fantasia'd but couldn't afford a name change?

I've seen plenty of Au Ra named Tia and Nuhn.

Well their first mistake WAS BEING a catboy to begin with....

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Aya - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:30 PM)Vyce Wrote: Her last name is more Midlander than Highlander.

Midlander names resemble mundane last names like Smith.

Highlander names resemble traits and actions. Wyldhart. Armstrong. Gunner. Brawley. Willstone.
This is actually a very complicated and contentious matter!  I've been involved in a few very interesting conversations about Highlander names.  For instance: are the trait-based names inherited or are they strictly earned?

But, looking at the names provided by the wiki:

Male
  • Aethlwold Hunter
  • Hunfrid Longblade
  • Lewenhart Boarsblood
Female
  • Sigberta Strong
  • Orieldis Blacke
  • Bergard Thorne
Notice the female names?  While "Strong" could be an epithet, it is also a common English family name, as are Blacke and Thorne.  None of these match the epithetic nature of the masculine names.   Why?  We really don't know (though I do have a favorite theory).

What we do know is that "Morrison" fits this pattern very well.  It is not a "Midlander" name, it is a Hyur name, perfectly well-suited to both.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - McBeefâ„¢ - 10-13-2015

A female could make the decision to call themselves a Nuhn, or even see themselves as one.
My character often introduces herself to others as the 'Empress of Garlemald'.  Just like modern day people can refer to themselves how they wish.

I can very much see a particularly aggressive Seeker woman calling herself a Nunh, even though she couldn't hold the actual position.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Ton - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 01:45 PM)SicketySix Wrote: Well their first mistake WAS BEING a catboy to begin with....

I Resent said statement! Tongue

But speaking to Hikaru's question, there is always room for creativity. As an example, I created Tonton Tinyblade before consulting naming conventions for Seekers of the Sun. However, there is a Miqo'te seeker population that immigrated to Lominsa and does not hold to their traditions as much as say the Sagolii population. Even the Sagolii tribe have a Nunh as a leader, which isn't necessarily standard in terms of naming.

That deviancy inspired a whole backstory on Tonton, his move to Lominsa, his background as L'Sta Tia of the viper tribe, and his eventual adoption of a Lominsan nickname. I would say you could work this naming thing to your advantage.