Hydaelyn Role-Players
Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Potentially Lorebreaking Names (/showthread.php?tid=13872)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - WhiteLycanXII - 10-13-2015

I'll just leave this here:

"Obelisk The'dark synthesizes a length of spruce lumber."

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - MilanaMina - 10-13-2015

Like was mentioned before, not everyone on this server roleplays. It's just one of the servers that people decided was a roleplay server, unofficially.

I try not to be a person who snubs someone just because their name isn't to lore standards. Heck look at mine. It's still like this because I tried to change my name and couldn't change it to Milana Lana. So IC her name is Milana Lana.

Also it should be put into consideration that inter-racial couples, and children exist and parents of the child could give it a naming convention of one, and the other.

Clanless Miqo'te who have left their tribes, are pretty much free to rename themselves as they wish. As are any race I feel.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Kellach Woods - 10-13-2015

(10-13-2015, 01:17 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(10-13-2015, 01:09 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Seriously, who gets upset with names.. imagine that in RL?

Only thing to avoid is, in priority order
  1. Names that don't fit lore (like female Nuhn)

Which I've seen exactly that before.
Ah, you have encountered a very (not) rare specimen of catgirl futa.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - -no longer matters- - 10-14-2015

(10-13-2015, 12:17 PM)TK Hikaru Wrote: So, the character I intend to roleplay with is a bit of an oddity concerning her name.
She's a highlander Hyur named Chouwa Morrison. The reason for the obviously Doman given name is due to the fact her mother was Doman and wanted to honor her heritage. Chouwa herself does acknowledge the fact her name is strange, but also admits she likes it.

The surname however doesn't comply with Highlander naming conventions, sounding more like a Midlander's surname. My best guess is that her Highlander side of the family's always been a bit odd with their surnames.

None the less, I wanted to know if anyone would have any issues concerning her names.
You're fine. I'm sure there were plenty of Highlanders that adopted more Midlander last names after the Fall of Ala Mhigo as to not seem like a refugee. I'm sure there was and may still be some prejudices against Highlanders as Ala Mhigo was an aggressive nation at one point in time. So that would further enforce maybe taking a more unconventional last name to find work easier.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Warren Castille - 10-14-2015

As an aside, when you first register with the adventurer's guild you're asked what name you're putting down. I can't remember if it was in 1.0, 2.0 or both, but I remember Momodi specifically alluding to the fact that lots of people use aliases when signing up for the history books. It's a pretty easy handwave, and one I have Warren rely on a lot: He knows so many people using aliases he just assumes anything that doesn't sound "standard" is an alias.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - ZacharyVolfire - 10-14-2015

-Looks at my name-
-looks at hte lsit of people i rp'd with who were cool with it-
-looks at the one person who tried to start drama over it-

Your in good company.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Hunfrid - 10-16-2015

My Hellsguard male I named Hunfrid Silentstone.
A bit lore bending, but I think I did good when I didn't know as much about naming.
I can always say Hunfrid is easier to say in a pinch than Silentstone.
Of course, with silly players, his name got shortened to Hun, Hunbun and Hunybunny.

RE: Potentially Lorebreaking Names - Milly - 10-20-2015

The name is just what your character chooses to present themselves to others as. So IMO doesn't matter if it fits naming convention. Obviously I was not born 'Milly Feuille' but it's part of the characters personality to present themselves in that way. Just like RL some people have stage names/fake names etc.

Despite quite easily having the most ridiculous name in this thread so far (?) I never had a hard time at RP events, people are always friendly, and if they did have some issue they were fine at keeping it to themselves!